Tyne n Wear derby designated as a bubble match.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    biggeral wrote: »
    My team has never had these restrictions placed on any of their games, but if they did, I simply wouldn't go, although I would consider not going anyway if there was likely to be trouble.

I can see why they do it though and just hope it remains for local derbies as I would think it unreasonable if London based Leeds fans had to drive up to Leeds to get a coach to watch Chelsea vs Leeds!

That seems to me the sensible reaction, i.e. an understanding of the whole picture rather than individual supporters waffling on about personal freedom and what a good guy they are.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how the Met Police cope with so many games going on in London at the same time plus all of the other fans who pass through on their way to other places while keeping the city running.

Today we have have an evening kickoff between Arsenal and Spurs. Just imagine if Northumbria Police were in charge of that!
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's not just Sunderland fans living in Newcastle (or Gateshead) but those living around the country who would have to pass through Newcastle to get to Sunderland. Anyone arriving by air would land at Newcastle airport then have to take the Metro to Sunderland (passing through Newcastle Central Station) just so that they can pick up the designated bus. Same goes for anyone travelling by train.

I only get to a handful of Sunderland games per season but I've never fancied the derby, even if I could get a ticket, as the game is always overhyped and there's far too much scope for trouble.

Very true, it wouldn't have the same inconvenience for as many Newcastle fans. But even someone travelling from South Shields or even Whitley Bay would be very out of the way.

I don't support Sunderland but when I lived there I got out of the area for the day until later in the evening on derby day. (For the reverse fixture I was in France so missed any trouble anyway. )
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's amazing how the Met Police cope with so many games going on in London at the same time plus all of the other fans who pass through on their way to other places while keeping the city running.

Today we have have an evening kickoff between Arsenal and Spurs. Just imagine if Northumbria Police were in charge of that!

There are a hell of a lot more officers in the Met than Northumbria though. Northumbria has under 4000 officers available, including full time officers and special constables, to serve 1.5 million people. The Met has just under 37000 officers available to serve 7.5 million people. So while the Met serves 5 times more people, they have over 9 times more manpower, being London and all.

I'm not sure how many officers the police devote to a football match, but lets say 500. We have one home game per weekend in the Northumbria area. Next weekend there are 3 or 4 games on in London, all with less supporters attending than the Newcastle game. It will be a lot harder for Northumbria to get 500 officers than it will be for the Met to get 2000. These figures are complete bullshit but you get the idea. It's much easier in London because of the amount of resources (and over 10 times the budget available for overtime) they have available.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    All games between Leeds Milwall and when we played them
    Cardiff were voucher for tickets games ie you can't get a ticket. Unless you go wiry official supporters where you exchange voucher for match ticket
    Usually at a service station just outside London/Cardiff
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how this'll work.

Sunderland have confirmed they are posting tickets out and they WONT be collected on the bus
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update.

No longer a bubble game.

A joint statement from both clubs has been released
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Update.

No longer a bubble game.

A joint statement from both clubs has been released

Yes, a very interesting joint statement which essentially blames the police for everything:

http://www.safc.com/news/club-news/2014/january/joint-statement-issued
    In light of Northumbria Police's latest statement, Newcastle United and Sunderland AFC will now inform the Premier League that all future fixtures between the two clubs will be available for kick-off times to suit the clubs, the League and their broadcast partners, if applicable, and will expect Northumbria Police to police these games, especially given the considerable costs both clubs incur for such special police services.

After considering the police position, Sunderland AFC will be withdrawing the terms and conditions of ticket sales, which previously stated that all supporters must attend the game on official transport. The arrangements to provide complimentary buses and supporters branch transport will remain in place and Sunderland AFC advises fans that this is the safest method of travel to St James’ Park.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More from the BBC:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25646092

At last a club or this case two clubs have had the balls to call the police out on these draconian conditions and kick-off time restrictions. Hopefully other clubs will follow suit.