Options

Superhub 1 Poor Wireless any chance to get Superhub 2 ?

Hi all, i have been with virgin for about 2 years , on 30mb service and Superhub 1, but as we all know the wireless is not great, i just lived with it, as i had it same room so range wasnt a issue,

but as family members started to complain there not getting wireless or it keeps dropping, i didn't want to buy a wireless router,

i have been through every settings in the superhub firmware page, for wireless and changing each settings and checking, and changing the wireless channels, i can get it abut better but still is not good enough

so im wondering is there anyway i could get the superhub 2, i dont really want to go onto the higher speed as i dont really need that speed, and now i see on there website, even the lowest 30mb well now it will be 50mb, they offering the superhub 2 to new customers, i know before on 30mb they only offered superhub 1.

I dont mind paying £20 or so for it, and i dont need installation

anyone else been in the same position ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dksglendksglen Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I got one free. Just called and asked for it , for pretty much the same reasons.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    dksglen wrote: »
    I got one free. Just called and asked for it , for pretty much the same reasons.
    Good luck.

did they post it for self install or they had to come to install it ?

Thanks
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ua_ah wrote: »

Thanks

When I went from my old modem to a Superhub 1 they just posted it for self install so presumably it would be the same for you.
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My laptop and netbook connect to my SH1 at about 40% of the speed I get via ethernet...
    so I thought it was the SH1...
    my mobile phone however, connects at 90% of the speed I get via ethernet
    so now I think it is the laptop and netbook that is poor not the SH1

i get the speed I pay for via ethernet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Ring retentions, go through option to cancel, i spoke to them twice, once for myself and again for my mothers, both got superhub 2 delivered today for free. Also got the broadband increase straightaway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    dave25 wrote: »
    Ring retentions, go through option to cancel, i spoke to them twice, once for myself and again for my mothers, both got superhub 2 delivered today for free. Also got the broadband increase straightaway.

hi, did they post them out to you so was self install, as that's what i want,

Thanks
  • Options
    dksglendksglen Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    ua_ah wrote: »

Thanks

They came out. No charge though.
    Sorry for the delay, I'd forgotten this post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    dave25 wrote: »

WHEN I ASKED FOR THE FREE SPEED INCREASE STRAIGHT AWAY IT WOULD COST MOOR PER MONTH
  • Options
    barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHEN I ASKED FOR THE FREE SPEED INCREASE STRAIGHT AWAY IT WOULD COST MOOR PER MONTH

did you go through retentions?
  • Options
    RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have been having issues with our WiFi in our upstairs rooms (kids were asking to get cables run up for their xboxlive games) having read through a few threads like this one I asked about other options today and the Virgin folk are sending a Superhub 2 modem out to see if this helps.

No mention of any charge or fitters just that courier will deliver, will this effect my vip package in any way or tie me down?

2 Years with this deal without any changes but thinking about changing tv package soon as kids are not watching tv the way they used to.

Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    wish i seen this thread i just paid £20 for self install
  • Options
    Leathertrouser2Leathertrouser2 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Slightly confused as I have upgraded to 152mb and am on Ethernet however concerningly even on Ethernet, it is only getting 100mb. The modem was rebooted all that, I can only assume that it is the laptops problem.
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    got devolo 550's for the wifi and yeh worse coverage than my airport expresses so they will be heading to eBay I think
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Slightly confused as I have upgraded to 152mb and am on Ethernet however concerningly even on Ethernet, it is only getting 100mb. The modem was rebooted all that, I can only assume that it is the laptops problem.

If your laptop is pretty old, it might only have a 100mb ethernet port, you can check in
    device manager
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ge0master wrote: »
    If your laptop is pretty old, it might only have a 100mb ethernet port, you can check in
    device manager

Based on that then, is there a way of increasing it to an acceptable speed on either Ethernet or wirless, I've heard about adapters, is this true?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based on that then, is there a way of increasing it to an acceptable speed on either Ethernet or wirless, I've heard about adapters, is this true?

First you need to check what Ethernet adaptor you have to confirm that is the problem.

Also and it probably isn't the case but if you are using an Ethernet switch that may also only be 100MHz.
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been having problems with SH1 for over a year, they replaced 2 SH1, did a new cable run, dug up my drive and still the signal was crap. Called Virgin who put me through to retentions. They wanted me to pay £49 for a SH2, and didn't care when I said I would go to Sky. In the end I got a Netgear booster from Maplin which has more than solved the problem. Didn't have this issue before last summer and as I'm seeing the same story wondering if its a deliberate act from VM to pay wor an upgrade you don't need.
  • Options
    Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try modem mode link below showing how to turn it on. I had a better wireless router when I got it and also knew how bad super hub1 was.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=27555&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just went and brought a better laptop. I should never have downgraded in the first place. I like high spec laptops and was never happy with it.