Official TVonics thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    tvonics wrote: »
    Hi,

You're right .. we went about 4 days without a message about a week ago .. you must've been saving them up!

No, the conflict record message (even if displayed) would not have caused any problem with the recordings. Its unlikely that the problem was in the broadcast either as the recordings were spread across several channels. Any chance that the aerial or power became disconnected? (maybe a visitor unplugged it to charge their mobile!) Did the box just work fine when you first turned it on?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I agree, I am sure I have had the "conflict message" before, and I'm not aware of it causing any problems, but it was the only potential visible problem. I'm also not aware of any cabling problems (I'm the only one allowed anywhere near the kit!).

I will just put it down as a one-off - at least I was able to use the iPlayer function to view the missed BBC progs :)

Thanks,
    H
  • andypottandypott Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Ah .. now we have fixed some things with the hidden channels over the last few months. Are you using the latest software? This doesn't happen on the boxes I'm using.

I know the software version that Clem is using so I can try that I suppose.

Tim

I'm using V3.0.A2227.D369.F102, (which I believe is the latest version?)

I've just been playing around with this a bit more (I've clearly got nothing better to do on my day off!) and after a full retune with no channels hidden, it always goes back to the correct channel. Once I've hidden a channel, all channels below the hidden one come back to the correct channel, but those above it don't.

Further to this, the channel it switches back to after being on the radio seems to be 'lower' than the original channel by the number of channels hidden beneath it (e.g if I've hidden channels 41 & 42, then switching from channel 52 to the radio and back leaves me on channel 50)

As this doesn't happen for you, is it worth doing a full reset of the box? Should that be needed for some of the fixes you've made to take effect?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andypott wrote: »

I've just been playing around with this a bit more (I've clearly got nothing better to do on my day off!) and after a full retune with no channels hidden, it always goes back to the correct channel. Once I've hidden a channel, all channels below the hidden one come back to the correct channel, but those above it don't.

Further to this, the channel it switches back to after being on the radio seems to be 'lower' than the original channel by the number of channels hidden beneath it (e.g if I've hidden channels 41 & 42, then switching from channel 52 to the radio and back leaves me on channel 50)

As this doesn't happen for you, is it worth doing a full reset of the box? Should that be needed for some of the fixes you've made to take effect?

Got it.

Thanks .. and thanks for wasting your day off! I can repeat this now so I should be able to fix it. I'll let you know.

Tim
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks andypott,

Ditto to both. This also happens to my DTR-HD500. I'm glad you explained it in a way that others can understand.
    I couldn't have said it better :D!

Chris.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Tim,

I've just spoken to a very helpful lady on your phoneline re this, but I wanted to ask a little more on the subject if possible. I just wondered, are there any problems using the Z500HD with a non-HD TV with no HDMI slot, i.e. using the Scart lead alone initially?

My father was so impressed with my own Z500HD when he saw it in action last week, he's now bought one of his own. However, he hasn't yet got an HD TV (I suspect that's next on the shopping list, but it might be a while!...so in the meantime, is he likely to encounter any problems using the Z500HD with just the Scart socket? I'd like to help make the experience as pain-free as possible as this will be his first PVR, so I'll be on hand to help out remotely on the phone, hence I thought I'd better find out what the differences are likely to be between his experience of the box and mine (other than not having HD, of course!).

Thanks again for all your help, and your colleagues' too, it's always very much appreciated
    Cheers
    Cath

ETA: If anyone else on this thread has used this box with a non-HD TV, I'd be interested to hear about those experiences too! :) Many thanks again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    Hi Tim,

I've just spoken to a very helpful lady on your phoneline re this, but I wanted to ask a little more on the subject if possible. I just wondered, are there any problems using the Z500HD with a non-HD TV with no HDMI slot, i.e. using the Scart lead alone initially?

My father was so impressed with my own Z500HD when he saw it in action last week, he's now bought one of his own. However, he hasn't yet got an HD TV (I suspect that's next on the shopping list, but it might be a while!...so in the meantime, is he likely to encounter any problems using the Z500HD with just the Scart socket? I plan to talk him through any setup/teething problems on the phone if necessary, but I'm wondering whether there's going to be a big difference between my experience of the box (via HDMI in glorious HD) and his initial use of it via Scart? Is there anything I need to know/any problems he's likely to have that might need ironing out over the phone? I'd like to make the experience as pain-free as possible as this will be his first PVR.

Thanks again for all your help, it's always very much appreciated
    Cheers
    Cath

Hi Cath,

No, there are no real problems, if anything its easier to use with Scart than HDMI because there is no risk of selecting an output setting that the TV doesn't support.

There is just one slight niggle to do with some TVs that are too smart for their own good.

The long and short of it is that in some circumstances with some TVs a situation can occur that means both the box and the telly end up scaling the picture .. and you can end up with a 4:3 picture on a widescreen telly that is marginally too thin. Its not a massive problem. But in order to avoid it happening there is a setting in Menu>Settings>Video Settings "Output Scaling" which you should change from its default HDMI setting to the alternative "Scart".

I'll wager if you didn't change the setting you wouldn't notice the difference for several months .. but its worth doing to be on the safe side.

Hope your father enjoys the box.

Tim
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Cath,

No, there are no real problems, if anything its easier to use with Scart than HDMI because there is no risk of selecting an output setting that the TV doesn't support.

There is just one slight niggle to do with some TVs that are too smart for their own good.

The long and short of it is that in some circumstances with some TVs a situation can occur that means both the box and the telly end up scaling the picture .. and you can end up with a 4:3 picture on a widescreen telly that is marginally too thin. Its not a massive problem. But in order to avoid it happening there is a setting in Menu>Settings>Video Settings "Output Scaling" which you should change from its default HDMI setting to the alternative "Scart".

I'll wager if you didn't change the setting you wouldn't notice the difference for several months .. but its worth doing to be on the safe side.

Hope your father enjoys the box.

Tim

Brilliant! That sounds great; thank you so much, Tim. I'll tell him about that little settings change. I'm sure he'll love the box....I've been singing its praises for months so it was only a matter of time before someone else followed my recommendation and bought one! :)

Special thanks for such a quick reply. :)

Cheers
    Cath
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ok I've got a fix for this which should filter its way into the next release.

Thank you all for reporting the problem and then expaining it in a way that let even me understand!

In my defence if you toggle between TV and radio while the banner is still on the screen you don't see the problem .. which is why i wasn't seeing it .. sometimes you can be just too efficient!

Tim
  • ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my explanation. When a channel is hidden you can still tune to it and watch it. i.e. If you hide ITV on channel 3, even though it doesn't appear in the EPG you can still watch it by entering the number 3.

If we remove the hidden channels from the manual recordings list of channels we would create a situation where there are channels you can watch but, for which, you are not able to set a recording .. and for that reason we have deliberately left the hidden channels in that list.

Tim

Tim, OK understood -- what about an option to toggle the behaviour? In my case I've chosen to hide some channels so that they don't appear on the EPG. For that same reason, I don't want to see them in the list of channels if I want to set-up a manual recording.

My request about being able to name a manual recording stands, and I do believe it would be of [potential] benefit to other customers. I have a Panasonic Freesat PVR that allows this option -- it's so useful if you need to set-up something that falls outside of the EPG range.

Cheers

Clem
  • andypottandypott Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Ok I've got a fix for this which should filter its way into the next release.

Thank you all for reporting the problem and then expaining it in a way that let even me understand!

In my defence if you toggle between TV and radio while the banner is still on the screen you don't see the problem .. which is why i wasn't seeing it .. sometimes you can be just too efficient!

Tim

Thanks for fixing it so quickly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    Thanks andypott,

Ditto to both. This also happens to my DTR-HD500. I'm glad you explained it in a way that others can understand.
    I couldn't have said it better :D!

Chris.

Yes, TVM -- it confirms at least that what I was seeing was correct.

Clem
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Hi Neil,

This should record the Channel5 programme I think. Can you let me know the programme you're trying to record so that I can try it?

Tim

Home and Away 18:00 on five, select series and then in timers the first was 'right', the rest were for 5* at 18:30. It's the same show and its the first broadcast of it which would be fine except for 5* always sending the start signal late.

Actually I've just deleted the timers and tried again and it's also ignoring the 1800 and doing an earlier recrding on 5 then switching to 5*. Is it supposed to give you the option of selected recording or first occurrance or is the selected time supposed to be the default? Or am I just confused?

No rush what with all the questions you're dealing with and it's good to note the other comments about 5/5*/5USA.
    thanks,
    Neil
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    If the box was responding to the remote .. and in particular if you were able to put the box into and out of standby then it is likely the problem isn't (or wasn't) with the box. Most likely candidates are the HDMI cable and the TV's HDMI input port.

If it happens again perhaps try a different HDMI cable and/or a different HDMI input on the TV?

Tim

Thanks, Tim. There's been no repeat of the problem, even though I've done nothing! I'll keep a spare cable on hand in case of a repeat and try your solution in that event. By the way, would dust affect the box at all?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Hi Tim

I had to go out during the FA Cup final on Sat and wanted to record the remainder of the game. I tried to record it in the normal way (selecting the programme via the Guide and then pressing Record), however it kept recording the programme on ITV+1 instead of ITV. I eventually just set a manual timer. Is there a way of forcing it to record the programme you want rather than an alternitive which it thinks is better?

Cheers

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clem wrote: »
    Tim, OK understood -- what about an option to toggle the behaviour? In my case I've chosen to hide some channels so that they don't appear on the EPG. For that same reason, I don't want to see them in the list of channels if I want to set-up a manual recording.

My request about being able to name a manual recording stands, and I do believe it would be of [potential] benefit to other customers. I have a Panasonic Freesat PVR that allows this option -- it's so useful if you need to set-up something that falls outside of the EPG range.

Cheers

Clem

Hi Clem,

I think, realistically, we're not going to add a toggle to allow you to select/hide hidden channels on the manual timer screen. It would be an added layer of complexity for a fairly small gain .. which is something we always try to avoid.

I do accept your point about being able to re-name the recording although (and I understand, of course, that this is a feature which you rate highly) there is an argument that this would also add complexity for a small gain. Its always a difficult balance. Let us have a think about it at this end .. and also, please spend a few months with the box and let us know how much you end up using manual timers.

Tim
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Tim. There's been no repeat of the problem, even though I've done nothing! I'll keep a spare cable on hand in case of a repeat and try your solution in that event. By the way, would dust affect the box at all?

Shouldn't have a major impact I know mine is always full of dog-hair when I take it apart ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave_M wrote: »
    Hi Tim

I had to go out during the FA Cup final on Sat and wanted to record the remainder of the game. I tried to record it in the normal way (selecting the programme via the Guide and then pressing Record), however it kept recording the programme on ITV+1 instead of ITV. I eventually just set a manual timer. Is there a way of forcing it to record the programme you want rather than an alternitive which it thinks is better?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

The box has an 'instant record' feature which affects the decisions we've made on what to record when.

In the case you describe above what you should've done is just press record on ITV. The box would've started recording immediately on ITV and it would've concluded that you knew you were getting a partial recording and would therefore have made no attempt to record any repeat on any other channel.

If you make the booking from the guide, because the box knows that you are rejecting the 'instant record' option, it will try to make the most complete recording it can. This is why it picks the ITV+1 version (even then it would only do that if the programme were running on both channels simultaneously). If that recording is incomplete it would also record a repeat to try to get you a complete recording of the programme on disk.

This touches on the debate with Clem above, in that there is always a balance between the functionality and the complexity. I'm sure that the box selecting the +1 channel caused you a certain amount of frustration but 90% of the time the design will get you a complete recording despite power failure, fire and flood (except for fire and flood).

Tim
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Hi Dave,

The box has an 'instant record' feature which affects the decisions we've made on what to record when.

In the case you describe above what you should've done is just press record on ITV. The box would've started recording immediately on ITV and it would've concluded that you knew you were getting a partial recording and would therefore have made no attempt to record any repeat on any other channel.

If you make the booking from the guide, because the box knows that you are rejecting the 'instant record' option, it will try to make the most complete recording it can. This is why it picks the ITV+1 version (even then it would only do that if the programme were running on both channels simultaneously). If that recording is incomplete it would also record a repeat to try to get you a complete recording of the programme on disk.

This touches on the debate with Clem above, in that there is always a balance between the functionality and the complexity. I'm sure that the box selecting the +1 channel caused you a certain amount of frustration but 90% of the time the design will get you a complete recording despite power failure, fire and flood (except for fire and flood).

Tim

That's great. Thanks Tim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home and Away 18:00 on five, select series and then in timers the first was 'right', the rest were for 5* at 18:30. It's the same show and its the first broadcast of it which would be fine except for 5* always sending the start signal late.

Actually I've just deleted the timers and tried again and it's also ignoring the 1800 and doing an earlier recrding on 5 then switching to 5*. Is it supposed to give you the option of selected recording or first occurrance or is the selected time supposed to be the default? Or am I just confused?

No rush what with all the questions you're dealing with and it's good to note the other comments about 5/5*/5USA.
    thanks,
    Neil

Hi Neil,

Brumlad (above) is right. Channel 5 are using the same identifier for the series on the two channels and thats why the box is picking the earliest episode on the wrong channel.

They're not supposed to do that. You can see the system working correctly if you pick Eastenders on BBC THREE or Coronation St on ITV2 where all the bookings stay on the correct channels because the series identifiers are different (although it will use the programmes on the other channels to resolve conflicts).

I guess we could resolve this on the box .. but currently the box doesn't, because really it shouldn't need to. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Tim
  • abennabenn Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Problem with the new IPTV channel 117 The Space.

I am running the very latest V3 s/w on my DTR-HD500. I get the initial MHEG screen OK and press the red button to get the selection screen from The Space. All works fine selecting what to view from the channel and then viewing the selection. However on navigating back to the The Space main selection screen it is not possible to get back to the original MHEG text page using the Back button. As a result It is impossible to enter a channel numbers. The only way to get away from channel 117 is to use the return to previous channel key or the Channel up/down keys.

Sometimes exiting from this channel this way leaves The Space selection screen on the TV with sound from the channel I have moved to or very occasionally the HD500 locks up.

Andrew
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abenn wrote: »
    Problem with the new IPTV channel 117 The Space.

I am running the very latest V3 s/w on my DTR-HD500. I get the initial MHEG screen OK and press the red button to get the selection screen from The Space. All works fine selecting what to view from the channel and then viewing the selection. However on navigating back to the The Space main selection screen it is not possible to get back to the original MHEG text page using the Back button. As a result It is impossible to enter a channel numbers. The only way to get away from channel 117 is to use the return to previous channel key or the Channel up/down keys.

Sometimes exiting from this channel this way leaves The Space selection screen on the TV with sound from the channel I have moved to or very occasionally the HD500 locks up.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for this. The Space channel is pretty hot-off-the-press and has one or two teething problems that we're working closely with the originators to iron-out. I'll pass this on and we'll try to get it resolved.

Tim
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Clem,

I think, realistically, we're not going to add a toggle to allow you to select/hide hidden channels on the manual timer screen. It would be an added layer of complexity for a fairly small gain .. which is something we always try to avoid.

I do accept your point about being able to re-name the recording although (and I understand, of course, that this is a feature which you rate highly) there is an argument that this would also add complexity for a small gain. Its always a difficult balance. Let us have a think about it at this end .. and also, please spend a few months with the box and let us know how much you end up using manual timers.

Tim

Tim -- I've made quite a lot of use of the manual timer facility, which is why I've finally flagged-up the issues that I found. I agree that for the occasional one-off recording the facility is OK as-is, but things get a bit tedious if you want to set-up a number of recordings that fall outside of the 8-day Freeview EPG. Scrolling through the entire channel list can get annoying, and trying to remember what the manual timers were for is a chore sometimes.

I do appreciate that this in theory is a low usage facility, but people going on holiday for 2+ weeks, as many of us do (when we can afford it) means that for non-series linked material the manual timer is the only option. I suppose that things would be a lot easier if we had a 14-day EPG :D

Clem
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    Dear tvonics,

Tonight I have 2 recordings set, both @ 9pm, ITV and Channel 4.

I have a programme set to record @ 3.30 tomorrow morning, on BBC Four.

The programme that is set to record @ 3.30 tomorrow morning is also broadcasting @ 9pm.

At 9pm, the box started to record Channel 4 and BBC Four causing the ITV 1 programme to not start recording.

I don't have BBC Four on record until 3.30am tomorrow morning, yet it tried to record the 3.30am programme at 9pm when 2 other programmes are set to record.

I was on ITV 1 when this happened.

A prompt on the screen give me a yes or no option, I can't remember what the question was though.

When I pressed yes, the TV went Black, and had changed over to BBC Four.

When I realized what had happened, I pressed stop which prompted me do I want to stop the recording which I said yes, BBC Four stopped recording.

Then the TV went black again, then switched back over to ITV 1 where I was greeted by another prompt mentioning a programme conflict, with a yes or no option, I said yes and ITV 1 started to record.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    Dear tvonics,

Tonight I have 2 recordings set, both @ 9pm, ITV and Channel 4.

I have a programme set to record @ 3.30 tomorrow morning, on BBC Four.

The programme that is set to record @ 3.30 tomorrow morning is also broadcasting @ 9pm.

At 9pm, the box started to record Channel 4 and BBC Four causing the ITV 1 programme to not start recording.

I don't have BBC Four on record until 3.30am tomorrow morning, yet it tried to record the 3.30am programme at 9pm when 2 other programmes are set to record.

I was on ITV 1 when this happened.

A prompt on the screen give me a yes or no option, I can't remember what the question was though.

When I pressed yes, the TV went Black, and had changed over to BBC Four.

When I realized what had happened, I pressed stop which prompted me do I want to stop the recording which I said yes, BBC Four stopped recording.

Then the TV went black again, then switched back over to ITV 1 where I was greeted by another prompt mentioning a programme conflict, with a yes or no option, I said yes and ITV 1 started to record.

Hi,

Its quite difficult to deduce the cause of this behaviour and you haven't let me know which box you have and which software version. But here are some best guesses ..

It seems quite unlikely that you set a programme to record at 3:30a.m.? Is it possible that you had three programmes all set to record at 9pm and when you decided to stop the BBC Four recording the box moved it to 3:30?

If you actually set the recording for 3:30a.m. did the programme at 3:30a.m, get displayed in red? Or did you see it in the timers list set to that time? Is it possible that you selected to set it at 3:30 but the box moved the recording to an earlier occurance?

Tim
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Its quite difficult to deduce the cause of this behavior and you haven't let me know which box you have and which software version. But here are some best guesses ..

It seems quite unlikely that you set a programme to record at 3:30a.m.? Is it possible that you had three programmes all set to record at 9pm and when you decided to stop the BBC Four recording the box moved it to 3:30?

If you actually set the recording for 3:30a.m. did the programme at 3:30a.m, get displayed in red? Or did you see it in the timers list set to that time? Is it possible that you selected to set it at 3:30 but the box moved the recording to an earlier occurrence?

Tim

Hello Tim,

I have the DTR-HV250.

I installed the latest software from your website.

I checked the EPG last night, the 3.30am was highlighted in red.

I had a programme on record on BBC Four at 2.30am as well, that was highlighted in red.

The BBC Four 2.30am programme was also broadcast at 10pm.

I've just checked my library and instead of recording the programme at 2.30 like it was scheduled to do, it recorded it at 10pm.

I love this box, I fully recommend tvonics, there just seems to be some sort of glitch going on with my box?

The box seemed to of moved these 2 recordings by itself?

I done the Service > Reset the other day like you told me to do.