Options

Have hollyoaks gone a little bit 2001/2?

chasing_starschasing_stars Posts: 434
Forum Member
Been watching for the past few weeks and can't help but think so many of the storylines going out in 2001/2 when I started watching are being recycled a little...

Let me have a think:

Football players (Scott anderson and co > Carl Costello, Riley etc)

Serial killers (Toby Mills > Silas)

Self harm (Lisa Hunter > Jasmine/Jason)

The shrine to a dead person (Helen Cunningham when Lewis died > Frankie on Steph's death)

Gangsters (Scott Anderson and his mob > Brendan, Danny Houston and Warren Fox)

Football players and rape (it was a while ago - Beth Morgan in the late night/video episode > this year's Hollyoaks later wtih that guy and Nancy, although it was prevented from happening)

Girls wanting to be famous (Steph > Mitzeee)

Issues with coming out (Nick the art student > Brendan)

Comments

• Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All that feels like yesterday!
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the same thing with the serial killer and the self harm, but I think all the sl's you've mentioned are still things needed to be addressed in soap. Silas and internet safety, and Jas' is more about her anguish and the GID
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know! Kinda loving how Lee hasn't changed that much since his teenage years. It was watching E4 tonight when Mandy was freaked out by Frankie's shrine and I remembered when I started watching Mrs C has a shrine to Lewis and was totally disgusted by it...

Yeah its true, they do need to be shown. Kinda interesting when I was watching back then the school kids had a lot more storylines than they do now and they got meaty storylines as well to deal with like the self harm, bullying and later pregnancy and they also got shown mucking about and having fun. Wish they would get a little golden couple established between the school kids tho, it was Abby and Lee in my day. Kinda has to be Sinead and someone else. That's one character that is so far too underused and has a lot of potential
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they need to repeat storylines such as coming out, self harm etc. because of a new audience. HO being a teenage soap, most of the current viewers probably didn't watch it back then. (myself for one) They're doing a good job anyway. :)
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    I seem to think that back then Lee tried to put together a boyband too called XFactor (long before the days of the TV series.) Now he's faffing around with GuyCandy.

I'm glad they are doing another self harm storyline. I remember the Lisa Hunter one very well and it was brilliantly handled. I wouldn't even say Jasmine's storyline is the same as Lisa's though because Lisa's was a reaction to being bullied and having a controlling father, whereas Jasmine is doing it because she's finding it hard to cope with her gender identity crisis and her family not being exactly supportive. I think regardless it's good HO is doing it again because there's been such a huge gap between the two storylines and there'll be new viewers now who won't even remember Lisa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Every soap is bound to repeat its storylines sometimes, I think even though its technically the same its entirely different because of the different characters, the situations are some what changed and the audience will be different.
    I love Hollyoaks at the moment, its exciting and even though the stories have kind of been done before they seem exciting and fresh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I remember X Factor too! So funny with that song. Would be good if they could recreate something along those lines with the teens again. Sarah, Craig, Hannah et al were a good bunch but there was a lot of drama there obvs with JP being gay, and Newt, Lauren and Anita never set my world on fire. Think they're on to a winner with a strong group of teens my only issue is they're all quite fragmented and don't really all fit as a group so maybe its something they need to work on.

Yeah, I know. I just found it quite random how much similarities there were and how its all happening in a pretty similar timeframe. Next bet is one of the student population ends up with an STI, I remember that storyline pretty well with Jamie Nash and Becca.
    Classic line "How can I have an STI? I've only got a sore throat?"