Now Band Aid is offensive and patronising

Comments

• The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would be good if bob geldof and his friends got together and did acharity single for the poor british people.

Trouble is half the British people think they're poor and hard done by if their kids can't get the latest XBox game for Christmas or they can't have the latest mobile phone. Even the likes of White Dee get to enjoy the luxuries of a laptop computer, phone, **** and a big screen led tv. It's no wonder people don't take pity on the supposedly poor of this country.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I'm sorry WE ARE RAISING not THEY. THEY, have turned up to a nice warm and fancy studio to network and chat with fellow singers and producers. We are the ones having to pay out to buy the bloody thing. The ordinary British NHS worker is the one who might have to volunteer to go to Africa, not Bob Geldof or One Direction. I would have no problem with the single if it was a choir made up of NHS workers and soldiers having to go out to Africa, singing and the message from Geldof was "support these guys here". I would believe that was a geniune heartfelt thing. Compare that to a hastily thrown together, anniversary single with vacuous personalities making pained facial expressions as an attempt to be geniune.

They are raising because they took part in the song to raise money. Just like when someone takes part in a sponsored walk/run, that person has raised that money for their chosen charity.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    They are raising because they took part in the song to raise money. Just like when someone takes part in a sponsored walk/run, that person has raised that money for their chosen charity.

True you could say the same for sponsored people if all the people who do sponsored walks ect just gave some money each they would raise more that way but this way they also help raise awareness and then more people may not just buy it/sponsor them but donate directly.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Okay then, he's not being "condemned" for raising money; but there are some gentle criticisms about the methods he is/has employed to do so.

These include:

1. Hijacking a major world problem and turning it into a paparazzi celebrity fest.

2. Implying that only they can solve it and ignoring the other agencies who already out there working hard and making progress.

3. Issues with the actual song
    3a. Poor lyrics that give the wrong impression about the disease.
    3b. Casual racial stereotyping about Africa being "not normal" or "sub standard"
    3c. Just generally being a poor quality song.
    3d. Do they even need to know it's Christmas?

4. Geldof "naming and shaming" people who didn't turn up, missing the point that charity ought to be voluntary.

5. Geldof demanding you buy it as though it is a law. Then demanding you to buy ten, again missing the voluntary aspect.

6. Major TV companies joining in on point 5 while only broadcasting the DEC appeal once only and thereby emphasising only Bob and Bono can do good things in this world because they've been on TV. All those doctors don't matter, they aren't pop stars are they.

7. Bob never really answered those claims about band aid buying guns for the rebels in exchange for access to certain townships did he?

So it's not really a condemnation, but if a man shoves his scruffy face on my TV so much then I am going to scrutinise his motives and methods.

You may call it a bizarre moral compass, and perhaps it is, but then I'd also say that donating to charity because a rag tag bunch of minstrels tell you to and not because your heart tells you is also slightly dubious on the compass scale.

What a lot of absolute babble.

You don't really understand what charity is, do you?
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will not buy it , this is why ,I know it is from the Mail but there are a lot more links out there
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1259061/Sorry-Bob-Geldof-Band-Aid-millions-DID-pay-guns.html
    What confuses me about part of this article "The following year, Farm Africa received £25,000 and Oxfam £100,000. In the years to date, grants of up to £500,000 have been made to charities including Christian Relief & Development Association (an Ethiopian charity), UNICEF, Sudanese Relief and Water Aid. A total of £75million was handed out up to 2004. "

Band Aid gave a large proportion of it's money to other charities in grants, so why on earth did we need Band Aid? These other charities were all fully-functioning, already set up, why not just give them the money, raise money on their behalf through the Live Aid concert and the associated single using the high profile they achieved? Why set up a completely new charity, which costs money, when the money raised is then just passed to other charities?

Makes no sense to me, much as all the hundreds of charities that pop up these days make no sense either. Do we really need a new cancer charity every week, when a larger one or two is enough?
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    And the line

"And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time"

Always made me laugh out loud - When exactly did it last snow in Africa, (as a whole) leave alone at Christmas Time? Which Ice Age are they referring to?
    Forum Member
    And the line

Always made me laugh out loud - When exactly did it last snow in Africa, leave alone at Christmas Time? Which Ice Age are they referring to?

That's kind of the whole point if it snowed then it could rain if it rained they would have less problems
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    And the line

Always made me laugh out loud - When exactly did it last snow in Africa, leave alone at Christmas Time? Which Ice Age are they referring to?

I fear you've rather missed the point.
    Forum Member
    That's kind of the whole point if it snowed then it could rain if it rained they would have less problems

And if they had stopped dropping out baby after baby since the 70s that they know damn well they have no food for, that would have sorted out a lot of problems as well.

But no! Let's just keep on being their meal ticket and live up to our world view of being total mugs.
    Forum Member
    And if they had stopped dropping out baby after baby since the 70s that they know damn well they have no food for, that would have sorted out a lot of problems as well.

But no! Let's just keep on being their meal ticket and live up to our world view of being total mugs.

Then build them schools and help to educate them as that is part of the problem they don't know about birth control or have access to it.
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I fear you've rather missed the point.

So I'll pen a song with the line: "And there won't be a heatwave in January in Scotland."
    No one will say 'Well no because that is what we call NORMAL!"

So trying to gain sympathy for something that never happens anyway is a bit stupid.
    "And there won't be a massive lottery win in my bank account tomorrow" - Oh woe is me! All feel sorry for me!
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    What a lot of absolute babble.

You don't really understand what charity is, do you?

so I am not allowed to make a critique of oh holy Bob then? Why is that?
    Forum Member
    Then build them schools and help to educate them as that is part of the problem they don't know about birth control or have access to it.

Why?

Natural selection.

Sure as hell the Catholic church is there spreading the AIDS by encouraging people not to use condoms.

This has been going on since the 70s and if they haven't learnt by now, then maybe hard love will teach them.

44+ years of this nonsense!
    Forum Member
    So I'll pen a song with the line: "And there won't be a heatwave in January in Scotland."
    No one will say 'Well no because that is what we call NORMAL!"

So trying to gain sympathy for something that never happens anyway is a bit stupid.
    "And there won't be a massive lottery win in my bank account tomorrow" - Oh woe is me! All feel sorry for me!

Not having a heave wave is not going to kill you

And you really think not winning the lotto makes your life as hard and as bad as theirs
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone would think that there were no other charities out there fighting against Ebola:

Ebola Outbreak Appeal | British Red Cross
    www.redcross.org.uk/en/Donate-Now/Make-a.../Ebola-Outbreak-Appeal

Ebola Emergency | MSF UK
    www.msf.org.uk/ebola

Ebola Charity - Ebola Crisis Appeal | World Vision UK
    www.worldvision.org.uk

.etc. etc.

They just don't have the backing of a bunch of pop stars, a rehashed song and one-click giving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why?

Natural selection.

Sure as hell the Catholic church is there spreading the AIDS by encouraging people not to use condoms.

This has been going on since the 70s and if they haven't learnt by now, then maybe hard love will teach them.

44+ years of this nonsense!
    I thought the Pope had changed his stance on this quite recently?
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Anyone would think that there were no other charities out there fighting against Ebola:

Ebola Emergency | MSF UK
    www.msf.org.uk/ebola

www.worldvision.org.uk

.etc. etc.

They just don't have the backing of a bunch of pop stars, a rehashed song and one-click giving.

Glad you pointed this out, 'SIR' Geldof is a hypocrite who disgusts me, just like the hypocrites who sung his appallng 80's remix of what was a good song. Good on Adele for not participating in The worst song of 2014, despite being the best selling song.
    Forum Member

Ebola Emergency | MSF UK
    www.msf.org.uk/ebola

www.worldvision.org.uk

.etc. etc.

How do you know people don't do both I've bought the song and had already given via the red cross charity
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ebola Emergency | MSF UK
    www.msf.org.uk/ebola

www.worldvision.org.uk

.etc. etc.

Exactly the point I made above, why doesn't 'Sir' Bob gather his friends and make a single raising money for DEC or Oxfam (who it seems he gives a large portion of Band Aid to anyway) or any of the other already up-and-running charities... makes much more sense.

I stopped giving to cancer charities (gave directly to the hospital that cared for my mother instead) cause there are so many, a new one every week, there are 2 new cancer charities opening shops near me - what makes them different to the others, where does the money go, why can't all the cancer money go into one pot, what makes them different apart from more administration costs? It baffles me. There are already so many charities working with Ebola in many different ways, was another really needed (cause presumably it becomes a new branch of the old charity, with new employees and so on).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know people don't do both I've bought the song and had already given via the red cross charity

If you have then that's great, however myself and a huge amount of the UK are struggling to pay bills or justify a night out on the town (me and my partner have had two nights out this year) so we don't like people like Geldof or his buddies preaching to us when they are minted. It F**ks me off to the point I switch channels whenever I see his ugly face.
    Forum Member
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    If you have then that's great, however myself and a huge amount of the UK are struggling to pay bills or justify a night out on the town (me and my partner have had two nights out this year) so we don't like people like Geldof or his buddies preaching to us when they are minted. It F**ks me off to the point I switch channels whenever I see his ugly face.

I'm hardly rich myself never go out at all and have to pay bills but I see their need as greater than mine to pay for that I just went without some other stuff I wanted.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    ... why doesn't 'Sir' Bob gather his friends and make a single raising money for DEC or Oxfam ...

He'd have to share the credit?

Who said they didn't?

Of course, if you bought the download at least you'd have something to show for your 99p donation, like wearing a poppy or similar flag / badge.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand very wealthy tax dodgers preaching at the rest of us who have to subsidize them. Hypocritical? Start with basic morals.

http://taxjustice.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/melua-vs-geldof-bono.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hardly rich myself never go out at all and have to pay bills but I see their need as greater than mine to pay for that I just went without some other stuff I wanted.

So you sacrifice a reasonable lifestyle for people in other countries whom you will never meet, with Governments who could fix things themselves if they weren't so corrupt? I'd rather spend my own earnings on myself thanks.
    Forum Member
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    So you sacrifice a reasonable lifestyle for people in other countries whom you will never meet, with Governments whom could fix things themselves if they weren't so corrupt? I'd rather spend my own earnings on myself thanks.

Yes just the same as when I donate to other charities as said I have enough to eat drink and put the electric in they are starving so need it more than I do.