Options

Star Trek The Next Generation Blu Ray

Comments

• Options
    Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    I'll get two sets!! One to watch and one to use as coasters. ;)

Why the price increase I wonder? Is it more discs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Or do they think they have got people hooked?
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    mike63 wrote: »
    Or do they think they have got people hooked?

I would guess it's partly the latter, and also the fact that season 3 is the start of ST:TNG getting really good.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the main reasons why people resort to piracy (not me though, instead I'll just borrow the set off one of my friends who has bought it, although if the price is halved I'll buy a set for myself).
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    I doubt that it'll be that price come release date, but if it is then I'll be waiting too. This harkens back to the days of the original DVD season releases, £80 per season. Erm, we've come a long way since then CBS/Paramount so you can get fcuked if you think I'm paying that price.....
  • Options
    stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's £52.49 now on Amazon UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Still £77.20, Enterprise is £52.49
  • Options
    stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike63 wrote: »
    Still £77.20, Enterprise is £52.49

Oops :o
  • Options
    J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im tempted by season 1 and 2 on blu ray but the price...

season 1 is over £60 on Amazon at the moment

Season 1 is currently available for £45.99 on Sainbury's website - http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Films-TV/Blu-ray/Patrick-Stewart/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Season-1/product.html?product=E11123991 :)
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing more of season 3 on blu ray as I find seasons 1& 2 quite over black and kind of cold looking in HD, not sure how much of this is down to the remaster as to a lesser degree I found the same thing with seasons 1&2 on old VHS & DVD, Inner light looked great on the taster disk so hopes are high.. Any tech buffs out there know if the 1st 2 seasons were filmed in a different way or different process to the latter ones?.
    Also caught a bit of Enterprise on Sky Atlantic HD a few weeks ago, think it was one from the latter series but it did look very HD to me already so I'd imagine very little work needed for those..
    I know purest detest it but I wished there was at least the choice to watch them in 14:9 or original as I find watching 4:3 a bit lost on screen these days, 16:9 is a total no no but 14:9 is a good compromise...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TNG - simple explanation, they changed the lighting for season 3 onwards, that's why the later seasons are brighter.

ENT - UPN's HD channel aired Enterprise at 720p back in 2003. Sky Atlantic HD likely used the same version of the episodes.

From memory ENT's later seasons at least were filmed digitally, and filmed in widescreen, hence presumably for those episodes/seasons at least it should just be a matter of rescanning to 1080p.

Probably why ENT is seeing such an early BD release, because it's a hell of a lot easier to prepare than either DS9 or VOY where you've got the same problem you had with TNG, ie. the effects shots were rendered on tape.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    As for the price of the TNG Season 3 boxset, i take it that now they've got people hooked they think they can dramatically raise the price...i got Season 1 for £31 and Season 2 for £47, so £77 is quite a bump. I've pre-ordered it on Amazon in the hope that the price comes down between now and the release date, although i remember reading that the RRP in the US was around $130 so i wouldn't be surprised if it stayed that high for the rest of the seasons...

I would say i'll hold off on buying it out of protest, but having not watched TNG properly since the 90s i've been enjoying Season 1 and 2 too much to quit now. I hope that they don't start putting the Enterprise boxsets up in price though, i can kind of understand charging more for the TNG sets due to the work that's been put into restoring them, but Enterprise is surely an easy release for them.
    Bester wrote: »
    ENT - UPN's HD channel aired Enterprise at 720p back in 2003. Sky Atlantic HD likely used the same version of the episodes.

From memory ENT's later seasons at least were filmed digitally, and filmed in widescreen, hence presumably for those episodes/seasons at least it should just be a matter of rescanning to 1080p.

Wasn't Enterprise in widescreen from the beginning? I'm sure i remember watching the first season on Channel 4 in 16:9 letterbox mode on my old 4:3 TV.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm appreciating season 2 a lot more now. At the time I felt it was slow, a bit grim, and lacked any kind of real excitement. I was younger and wanted action, space battles, complexity, epicness, and FX from my TV scifi, but this was pretty much it, there was no alternative, so it was quite a frustrating watch. Now 20 year later and we've had plenty action, battles, FX, etc, not only in the Star Trek universe but in other TV shows, so watching season 2 without that frustration is quite a nice experience. Whilst the episodes aren't the best, the season does have a certain laid back maturity of its own which I'm learning to appreciate. I'm even a fan of Pulaski now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I didn't word that brilliantly.

I think it was in widescreen from the start, but filmed digitally from either the third or fourth season.

That being said, UPN's HD channel have aired all four seasons in 720p so I assume they've been back and rescanned seasons 1 and 2 at least once already for that. They certainly look better than a standard upscale job.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I see that Best of Both Worlds is coming out in it's own disc - still think the cost of Star Trek Blu-Rays is a rip-off. I've already got the whole lot on DVD and the only thing that is going to persuade me to fork out for the Blu-Rays is when the cost is less than £30.
  • Options
    daz100daz100 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I didn't word that brilliantly.

I think it was in widescreen from the start, but filmed digitally from either the third or fourth season.

That being said, UPN's HD channel have aired all four seasons in 720p so I assume they've been back and rescanned seasons 1 and 2 at least once already for that. They certainly look better than a standard upscale job.

It was filmed digitally for season 4 to cut costs. All is 1080p but the fx are rendered at 720p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daz100 wrote: »
    It was filmed digitally for season 4 to cut costs. All is 1080p but the fx are rendered at 720p.

Which leads to an interesting point I guess - would they go for re-rendering at 1080p, or leave the FX at 720p and up-rez like BSG did. I suspect that they'll up-rez in this instance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Season 2 is currently £39.50 on Amazon for anyone interested (Season 1 is £47.25), yesterday they were both over £60.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon price for Season 3 now £52.49
  • Options
    daz100daz100 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Which leads to an interesting point I guess - would they go for re-rendering at 1080p, or leave the FX at 720p and up-rez like BSG did. I suspect that they'll up-rez in this instance.

Trailer for season 1 of Enterprise is out and the fx definitely are just upscaled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Had my copy on pre-order for months now, can't wait!

The extras, once again, sound absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My BOBW disc has been despatched by Sainsbury's, that was yesterday so hopefully it's at home for me when I finish work!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grrr, I see my season 3 order from Amazon still hasn't been dispatched, I guess that means no chance of an early weekend delivery.

Looks like season 4 will be released in July.
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Grrr, I see my season 3 order from Amazon still hasn't been dispatched, I guess that means no chance of an early weekend delivery.

Looks like season 4 will be released in July.

Yeah mine too but it usually comes up as dispatching soon on the Saturday then gets dispatched the Sunday and usually arrives by Tuesday at the earliest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My Sainsbury's order was despatched yesterday too. No sign today though unfortunately, hopefully tomorrow.