Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martina Cole Two Women
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Nearly finished 'The Declaration' by Gemma Malley.

Another 'teen' book which I have whizzed through.

Will go on to something more 'grown up' next I think....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buntym wrote: »
    Nearly finished 'The Declaration' by Gemma Malley.

Another 'teen' book which I have whizzed through.

Will go on to something more 'grown up' next I think....

I have all 3 on my to read list, to be honest some of the best books I've read are classed as 'Young Adult' books so I've given up feeling like I should be acting like more of a grown up at 38!! :D
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Perfect People by Peter James, I'm enjoying it.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    Martina Cole Two Women

That was my favourite Martina Cole novel (loved the ending especially). Hope you're enjoying it too :)

I've just finished Chances by Freya North. There's a lot of romance fiction out there, but this was a gem of a book.

I'm now reading something totally different: Red Dragon by Thomas Harris (the novel that launched Hannibal Lecter).
  • Options
    InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A collection of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft, again. Dagon, at the moment. :)
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started on World Without End by Ken Follett. I'm only a couple of chapters in, enjoyable so far.

My current audiobook is Skeleton HIil by Peter Lovesey. This is one of a series of crime fiction books featuring Police Superintendent Peter Diamond. He is in charge of CID at Bath Police Station and, as is usual in this type of book, is a bit of a maverick. He is in his 50s, a widower, overweight and not very fit, a bit of a loner, is at odds with his commanding officer, is computer illiterate and has a cat named Raffles.

This particular story relates to the discovery of a skeleton at a site where a civll war re-enactment has recently taken place and the subsequent discovery of the body of one of the re-enactors.

I've read several books in the series and have enjoyed them a great deal. There's not much in the way of graphic violence, sex or bad language, just good, often quite humorous, stories with plenty of detail relating to the Bath area and a fair amount of history thrown in for good measure. The character of Peter Diamond is well rounded and there are several other recurring characters who are also well drawn.

I think that the books would be ideal for a tv series and can imagine someone like Warren Clarke (shame he's already done Dalziel and Pascoe) or Timothy Spall as Diamond.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hunger games book 2, catching fire. on kindle.
  • Options
    nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Clown by Heinrich Boll - It's OK but not anywhere as good as the two books of his I've read previously (Billiards at Half Past Nine and The Silent Angel).
  • Options
    KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    Just finished Sleepers and Sleepers 2 by Jacqueline Druga. Wolfed them both in about 3 days, and can't wait for the 3rd part of the trilogy, although I can't find a date for it, other than 'autumn'. I've read alot of post apocalyptic novels and these were up there with some of the most enjoyable, and they're also Kindle cheapies too.

Now just over half way through One Cold Night by Katia Lief after starting it last night (thanks KitKat21 for the recommendation) and really enjoying it. Will definitely read more of hers after this one. :)

To the person asking about SK's 11.22.63 I'd say buy it! I thought it was fantastic, it does slow down in the middle but the excellent first third and last third make up for it and if it wasn't for the dip in the middle it would possibly be my favourite SK novel, and it would take one hell of a book to knock 'The Stand' from that number 1 position!

I'm glad you're enjoying it, every book of hers I've really enjoyed.

I will give Sleepers and Sleepers 2 a go, looking for something new to read and I do enjoy that type of book.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet Swan of Avon - Robin P Williams
    Robin Williams' premise that a woman may have written the works attributed to William Shakespeare is NOT based on analysis of the female characters in the plays or on any perceived feminine attributes. Rather, she grounds her provocative study on documented evidence regarding Mary Sidney, a woman who developed the most important literary circle in English history, whose mission in life was to create great works in the English language, and who was unable to put her name on work written for the public theater.

The intent of this book is to provide enough documented evidence to open the inquiry into this intriguing—and entirely plausible—possibility. She accomplishes this by, on the one hand, debunking longstanding assumptions about the author of these works and, on the other hand, providing overwhelming documented evidence connecting Mary Sidney to the Shakespearean canon

and

Meltwater by Michael Ridpath
    Operation Meltwater: FreeFlow, a group of internet activists committed to the freedom of information have video evidence of a military atrocity in the Middle East and have chosen Iceland as their HQ while they prepare to unleash their greatest coup on the world's media.

On the glacial rim of erupting volcano Eyjafjallajokull, they christen their endeavour Operation Meltwater. Minutes later, in the steam and mist, one of them is murdered.

Asta, a newly qualified priest, has contacted FreeFlow with information about a scandal in the church. Her involvement with FreeFlow will cost her dear. And with the return of Magnus's brother Ollie to Iceland, the feud that has haunted their family for three generations is about to reignite.
  • Options
    kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This was the first non Roy Grace Peter James I read,quite a good book,and quite creepy in some ways too,kind of makes you wonder..........
  • Options
    kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    That was my favourite Martina Cole novel (loved the ending especially). Hope you're enjoying it too :)

I've just finished Chances by Freya North. There's a lot of romance fiction out there, but this was a gem of a book.

I'm now reading something totally different: Red Dragon by Thomas Harris (the novel that launched Hannibal Lecter).

I thought this was a fantastic book,I read it when I was about 14,and have since read the rest of the Lecter series,which,in my opinion,are far better than the films(although silence of the lambs was a very good film,I think they should've left it at that for the films,as the books are far superior!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was one of my 20p bargin purchases for my kindle, not read it yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was one of my 20p bargin purchases for my kindle, not read it yet!

Mine too! I nabbed it when someone posted on here. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kira nerys wrote: »
    This was the first non Roy Grace Peter James I read,quite a good book,and quite creepy in some ways too,kind of makes you wonder..........

I've never read his stuff before, I just downloaded it when someone said it was 20p on Kindle. Really enjoying it. Creepy indeed...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished 600 Hours of Edward, by Craig Lancaster. This was a gem of a find from the Kindle daily deal. 39 year old Edward Stanton from Billings, Montana has Asperger's syndrome and a bad case of OCD. Over the course of 600 hours, Edward's life is about to change as circumstances conspire to pull him out of his beloved routine. This made me laugh, and made me cry and if you liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime you will like this.

Currently on The Man from Beijing, by Henning Mankell, which is pretty good, and The Bloodletter's Daughter, by Linda Lafferty, which is not holding my attention so well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished One Cold Night by Katia Lief, enjoyed it and will read more of hers soon.

Also over the weekend read Divergent by Veronica Roth. Really excellent YA dystopian novel, and read it in just over a day despite it being 500 pages. It's quite Hunger Games-ish so if you liked that then you should like this. Only downside is that the 3rd in the trilogy won't be out until autumn next year.

Now about to start the second in the trilogy, Insurgent and then wait patiently for a year for that last one!
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Patrick Hamilton, the gorse trilogy.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Daphne Du Maurier's "Jamaica Inn"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

I'm loving it, I can't put it down. It's a real eye opener and such a sad book really:( Susan Dalston is such a tragic character that you can't help but really root for
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Currently enjoying reading 'Downtime' by Tamara Allen on my Kindle. A good story and extremely good value at only 77p! :)
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    I'm loving it, I can't put it down. It's a real eye opener and such a sad book really:( Susan Dalston is such a tragic character that you can't help but really root for

This is back when Martina Cole was good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s1960b wrote: »
    Currently enjoying reading 'Downtime' by Tamara Allen on my Kindle. A good story and extremely good value at only 77p! :)

Damn this thread! Every time I come here I end up buying another book! Did like the look of this one so I can't really moan, although my bank balance is moaning plenty. ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is back when Martina Cole was good.

It's the only book of hers I've read but after enjoying this so much I'll give her others a try