First Radio Stations You Ever Listened To

Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sharing a few memories here.

With me been a young adult the first I remember about radio was when my Dad used to have Jimmy Young on every day which was BBC Radio 2 around 1993. I remember opening the 1st door on the very first advent calendar I had while he had it playing. I was living about 7 miles from Holmfirth then so I imagine it must have been from Holme Moss on 89.3 and I do remember the areal never having to go up.

First AM station I listened to must have been Radio 10 Gold on 675 AM but it's hard for me to remember as I just remember getting a little toy radio that could not receive well on the FM band but got loads of AM stations and I remember one that played this music which must have been about 1996.

First DAB was whatever was first on the MXR North East block as that was the first I ever received on Christmas Day 2003 when I got my first handheld one and went for a walk with it. There was no DAB signal in the house then. My local transmitter started to transmit the BBC and Digital 1 in February 2008.

First internet station was Virgin Radio which was also about 2003 or maybe even 2002 when I was in a IT lesson at school. I remember telling a classmate that I could get radio on the internet and I got thumped for it. Bad memory there but it was the first time I listened to a station from the internet.

Comments

• radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Luxembourg on 208 meters in the late 1950s & early 60s.
    Then of course the offshore stations from 64.
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharing a few memories here.

With me been a young adult the first I remember about radio was when my Dad used to have Jimmy Young on every day which was BBC Radio 2 around 1993. I remember opening the 1st door on the very first advent calendar I had while he had it playing. I was living about 7 miles from Holmfirth then so I imagine it must have been from Holme Moss on 89.3 and I do remember the areal never having to go up.

First AM station I listened to must have been Radio 10 Gold on 675 AM but it's hard for me to remember as I just remember getting a little toy radio that could not receive well on the FM band but got loads of AM stations and I remember one that played this music which must have been about 1996.

First DAB was whatever was first on the MXR North East block as that was the first I ever received on Christmas Day 2003 when I got my first handheld one and went for a walk with it. There was no DAB signal in the house then. My local transmitter started to transmit the BBC and Digital 1 in February 2008.

First internet station was Virgin Radio which was also about 2003 or maybe even 2002 when I was in a IT lesson at school. I remember telling a classmate that I could get radio on the internet and I got thumped for it. Bad memory there but it was the first time I listened to a station from the internet.

Hello again ! Nothing wrong with YOUR memory ! Advent calendars too !

This thread could have been called "Video didn't kill the radio star". Arguably the "golden age" for children's radio was in the 1950s. Television, what there was of it, didn't have its merciless hold on the general population at that time. There were some really good radio programmes for children then. One was called "Toytown". It had a great signature tune, and as the name suggests, was all about a make-believe town. Star of the show was Larry the Lamb, who could go "BAAA" but could also talk to the humans. There was "Mr. Mayor" who thankfully had common sense. Another character was Mr Grouser, who used to moan about EVERYTHING... "THIS IS DISGRACEFUL !!! It should NEVER be allowed !!!". A right Daily Mail reader he was ! Plot ? No - but it was fun, and very similar to the "Magic Roundabout" of TV fame. In the 1950s we also had "Nature Parliament" where experts told us about the natural world, before we humans started destroying it with DDT etc. There were several drama series - one with a young actor from Cardiff - Michael Aspell. That was all on the Home Service, which was mutilated at the start of the 1960s when it's budget was destroyed thanks to - television.

And the ironical thing is that what comes around, goes around ( or is that the other way around HA HA ). Now, nobody sits there all night watching television, because there is nothing worth watching ( so TV owners tell me ). But radio is going strong, and we're still listening - as you prove, Jonathan...

It's always good to read your posts - so many memories for someone so young !

Have a good weekend !
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First radio station I heard, was Radio 1 in the late 70's broadcasting from Winter Hill near Manchester, I cannot remember if it was on MW or FM, then we moved to Essex and my mother listened to Radio Caroline, and Radio Laser so I got into them as well, I enjoy radio DX'ing, The first DAB station I listened to was Radio 5 Sports Extra in 2004.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to listen to Radio Lux and the American Forces Radio station through the night as a teenager.
    The forces radio was fantastic, I think it was based in Germany.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The radio was always on in our kitchen so it would have been either The Home Service or The Light Programme when I grew up. I distinctly recall hearing Radio 1 in 1968 (Simon Smith & His Amazing Dancing Bear, Mary Hopkin...), Radio Leicester's coverage of the events around the 1969 FA Cup Final, and Luxembourg in the early 70s. The Light would probably be first to hit my ears.
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Light programme and home service back in the late fifties!
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First radio station I heard, was Radio 1 in the late 70's broadcasting from Winter Hill near Manchester, I cannot remember if it was on MW or FM,

Neither. Winter Hill carried no radio services until 1982
  • dgdavedgdave Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I remember in 1949/50 listening to Home service and the Light program. also radio Luxembourg, AFN, on Mw
    World Service and VOA on short wave 49 metre band though is a long time ago. We had the Radio on from breakfast time to late in the evening.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxembourg and Radio Eirrean from Ireland whose programmes were listed in newspapers in the UK
  • Ian_ScottIan_Scott Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Like many here it seems, Luxembourg plus the BBC Home Service and the Light Programme.

Then in 1964 . . . ;-)
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 on 1089/1053am in the car driving through England in the late 80s and my Dad getting excited when Virgin Radio 1215 launched.
    Capital's heyday from around 1991-1994 (Tarrant, Sharp, Fox, Collins, Brown, Jenson, Allinson) made me want to become a DJ.
    Atlantic 252 sounding so big around the same time despite the awful sound quality on LW.
    DX-ing in my bedroom while doing homework, enjoying local radio from Invicta, Chiltern, 2-Ten, Essex FM, Mercury before a combination of networking and the London pirate explosion in the late 90s killed that pastime off.
  • ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I used the love listening to Essex FM and Ten-17 when I was in my teens (so from about 2001 onwards). 2 great stations. Unfortunately they both became Heart (I really am not a fan of Heart at all, possibly because they took over Essex then Ten-17) so switched to Radio 1. Most music on there in my opinion is dire now so I tend to now listen to Absolute Radio and also Absolute 80s (despite missing out on the entire decade, it's really great music!)
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember getting ready for school in the early 1960s and hearing the BBC Home Service playing on the extremely large Radiogram that we had at the time. They had a programme called "Regional Extra" at 8.30 each morning, the theme tune of which was "Struttin' with Maria" by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. That would have been the first radio station I ever heard.
    My cousins introduced me to Radio Luxembourg which I avidly listened to until 1964 when I also joined Ian_Scott and several million others and listened to Caroline.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Atlantic 252, circa 1993.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clyde 1 around 1999
  • MattFiltonMattFilton Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    As a small child in the late 60s, my dad was custodian of the radio and hence the Home Service was the only station to be heard in our house. In 1976 I bought a 2" x 4" transistor radio from the Sunday Market. This could receive BBC R 1 (247m) R4 (330m) and Radio Wales (340m). To a 10 yo boy the s gave me pop music and the great half hour comedies _ What else could a boy need.

Over the next few years my radios improved and hence the stations I could receive. Radio 2 (1500m) and the Great 208 (Luxy) were next.

It's funny how some of the documentaries that were on when my dad was listening to the radio obviously sunk into my brain. One particular one was a doc about Lobby Ludd, which featured interview with the man himself.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably Broadland 102 in the mid to late 90s.

I remember hearing "better music mix" and it changing to "today's best mix". Not sure of the year.
  • Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,304
    Forum Member
    The first Radio Station I listened to was Coast 96.3 in 2001, Radio City 96.7 2001 and Buzz 97.1 in 2001 as well, Now that I am 20 years old I still quite listen to radio nearly everyday I discovered internet radio in 2006 when I was listening to ministry of sound radio online
  • pompeyfmpompeyfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Radio Victory 257mw back in the late 70s as my parents had it on in the kitchen
  • 156418156418 Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably Broadland 102 in the mid to late 90s.

I remember hearing "better music mix" and it changing to "today's best mix". Not sure of the year.

1997/8. On SGR (and I think Broadland as well) the long standing strapline "The Best Mix of Music quitetly became Today's Best Music Mix, then Today's Better Music Mix (the GWR Network slogan at the time) to try and ease the changes in. It seems like a third of the playlist was cut out each time.

As for memories, SGR-FM on AM from until 1995 (what became Amber's frequency), SGR Colchester launching and Essex FM's much younger sound to other locals then the 1997 launch of the great Vibe FM
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be the Light Programme and the Home Service on my Mum's battery powered, brown vinyl cased Phillips MW/LW portable radio. It needed two large and heavy 9v batteries which seemed to last for ages.
    Jimmy Young and Listen with Mother are the memories from these stations.

Despite being only 4 1/2, I can vividly remember staying with relatives in York and hearing radio 1 on the day it launched, 30th September 1967 and being transfixed on hearing Emperor Rosko.

Jump forward a few years and Stewart Henry on a Saturday morning on Radio 1 in the early 1970's with the mad jingle montage at the start of his show.

I've just listened to some of these on the Radio Rewind site and despite it being 45 years ago it still sounds so familiar.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Atlantic 252, Luxemborg, Metro, TFM, Radio 2 and Radio One
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First FM station I listened to was the Pulse. First AM station was probably Virgin Radio. First DAB station may have been Kerrang. I remember vividly my first days with my DAB radio. It was just before the Boxing Day tsunami. On that day I kept tuning to the World Service for the latest on the tsunami. The number of the dead rose by tens of thousands every hour. I remember listening to the football on that same day for the ffirst time on Radio Leeds DAB when they did extended DAB commentaries, but the tsunami was what I was most interested in. I also remember hearing Jennyy Francis on Choice FM for the first time, and Smooth's 90s at 9.
  • GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1st station I used to listen to was Laser 558 on MW in the early 80's. The radio I was only given only had MW anyway. When I got an AM sent it was Invicta Radio (when it was a decent station). DAB it was MOS Radio around 2001.
    On a side note I used to enjoy the breakfast show on Invicta back in the 80's when it was presented by a DJ called Glen Thompsett. Then last week while listening to GOLD on DAB he popped up reading the news.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first memory of listening to the radio would have to be listening to Atlantic 252 when I was 5 years old around late '98. I used to ask my parents to put it on in the car on long journeys. Whatever happened to Atlantic 252? It seemed to just disappear. One day it was there, the next it was gone. I saw recently that RTE were looking to close the 252 frequency altogether.

My first memory of listening to radio on FM was listening to commentaries of Birmingham City away games on BRMB. That would have been sometime in late '99.

My first experience of DAB would have been my mother listening to Heart while I was getting ready for school in the mornings but the first time I listened to a DAB-only station was when I listened to the Storm (why do the stations I like always get shut down?) in the afternoons when I returned from school. That would probably have been late 2004/early 2005.

And my first experience of listening to the radio online would have been listening to the grime shows on Rinse FM on a Sunday afternoon in late 2008, back when it was still a pirate before it went legit in 2011.