The Office US - Season 2

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After a very bumpy season 1, season 2 kicked off with a decent start. Most of the characters are still wildly underdeveloped and poorly written, and despite his newfound movie star status, the Pam and Jim relationship still carries the show far better than Steve Carrell's Michael does.

It seems like the writers have completely missed what made the UK version so great, and have really only focused on the two obvious factors, and they're striking out badly on the Michael/Brent aspect.

Will-they-won't-they is nothing new, of course, but Jim & Pam do it well, maybe as well as Tim & Dawn, even if they still have some way to go.

It will be interesting to see if Carrell can pull in some of the 40 Year Old Virgin audiences and make the show a bigger hit this season.

They nailed the intro/title sequence, though.

Comments

• NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up, I will download and have a look right away :) I must say I'm very suprised it's got another season especially on NBC, I could understand if it was on the lesser ABC/CBS networks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Netizen wrote:
    Thanks for the heads up, I will download and have a look right away :) I must say I'm very suprised it's got another season especially on NBC, I could understand if it was on the lesser ABC/CBS networks.
    NBC have virtually nothing of quality on their plate after losing a few of their top shows in recent years, and they have talked about having to take risks like they did with Seinfeld, which was nearly cancelled early on, so they are probably a little bit more willing to give underperforming shows like Joey and The Office a chance to grow, which they might not have done if they had shows like Lost, Friends, Desperate Housewives and that sort of thing in their line-up. Like I mentioned before, they would also have been hoping that Carell's box office success might help the ratings a little.
    Forum Member
    It might help a little, but even if he's a movie star now it doesn't change the fact his performance as Michael is lacking the X factor that Brent had. I'm glad they kept Joey going as it really hit it's stride mid season, hopefully the new season will be just as strong and they'll win viewers back. But that's a thread for tomorrow ;)
    Forum Member
    I take it back, that was actually pretty good! NBC might have a hit on their hands after all. There was plenty of box ticking going on with the innapropriate awards but it was very well done.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,719
    Forum Member
    Tisn't as good as any of the episodes in the first series, I don't you. It might imporve, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How funny is this thread?

This was back when people failed to realise just how big The Office USA was going to get.

2 years later, it's eclipsed the British version.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    The Oracle wrote: »
    How funny is this thread?

This was back when people failed to realise just how big The Office USA was going to get.

2 years later, it's eclipsed the British version.

Funny, but not nearly as funny as predictions that pre-dated the airing of the American remake that the US show would be crap and wouldn't even last as long as the 12 episodes plus Christmas special that the UK original achieved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought it funny how the most hated episodes are the remakes of the UK version, and the most loved ones have absolutely 100% nothing to do with the UK version, neither in style or plot or presentation.
  • MFKR78MFKR78 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely, it's far surpassed the UK version for me and I loved that and was very sceptical when I heard the Americans were doing their version.

I thought Season 1 was a bit ropey but mildly amusing in parts, Season 2 really started to get going and by the end was great. Season 3 I'm now watching on Region 1 DVD and it's class. I love the show being done with 22 episodes a Season like most American shows. Whereas I first thought they'd never be able to pad out an Office show for that length of time they're really outdoing themselves with the plots and acting.

It's one of my favourite shows of all now.