Bird is the Word

steveo77steveo77 Posts: 139
Forum Member
The main opposition to Matts song for xmas number 1 is Surfin Bird by the Trashmen

I think this song is fantastic. Surely it can beat bland Matt to number 1 :)

Remember Bird is the Word!:D

Comments

• rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And just why should we do this?
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah!

Just to add:

Remember 'search' is the word.

(It's at the top of the page, just so you know).
  • Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt's iTunes lead at 10am this morning:-

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8771/131210.png

Will have grown since then too He's outselling Surfin' Bird by almost 4:1 - the Xmas #1 is in the bag

Just some solid facts for you, honestly can't see it beating Matt:cool:
  • steveo77steveo77 Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    Just some solid facts for you, honestly can't see it beating Matt:cool:

fair enough, but obviously Matt will be selling loads today.
    He is all over the TV, press etc and he performed the song in front of 20 million people last night!

apparently even Joe McElderry was in the lead for most of the week after he won last year. For the Trashmen to win they will need momentum at the end of the week.

They do have over 600,000 supporters on facebook already though so momentum is growing!
  • LindaSLindaS Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I can't see this surfing bird thing working.

Last year, with the RATM song, there was already a strong underground following for the band and the nature of the song makes it an excellent "f*ck you" sort of protest song :D and even then it was close.

Oh and that's when they were up against Joe, and I think Matt is a more popular winner or at least has a slightly better chance of making it than Joe.
    Forum Member
    Let battle commence !
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stevo have you heard?:D
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've hated this song since it came up in my GCSE Music exam a couple of years ago, I'll buy Matt's song just to make sure this isn't number 1.
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Bu bu bu bu bu burd...............................is the word.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=Bird

42p to let Simon Cowell know what you think of him. Less than the cost of one phone vote to his rigged show !!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Bird is the word will easily get #1, anyone with even the remotest interest in Family Guy will love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184
    Forum Member
    - Kaii - wrote: »
    Bird is the word will easily get #1, anyone with even the remotest interest in Family Guy will love it

Nah, it's funny when used on family guy, but it's still a sh*t song which is really annoying :p

At least the RATM song already had a lot of fans, even if most none-metalheads hated it.

Who actually likes this song?

I think another reason RATM won was because a lot of the fans of the band loved seeing them no1, so it had that novelty factor- then we got to hear from rage talking about it on the radio, which was awesome :p

Again, this song probably has very few actual fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - Kaii - wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

It's #5 on iTunes Matt is #1 with a gigantic lead. But I do love that Family Guy ep :D
    Forum Member
    Betting odds for christmas no1 from bet365:

Matt: 1/6

Surfin Bird: 4/1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveo77 wrote: »
    fair enough, but obviously Matt will be selling loads today.
    He is all over the TV, press etc and he performed the song in front of 20 million people last night!

apparently even Joe McElderry was in the lead for most of the week after he won last year. For the Trashmen to win they will need momentum at the end of the week.

They do have over 600,000 supporters on facebook already though so momentum is growing!

apparently even... nope you're VERY wrong, the first midweeks had Rage in front from the start.

There is absolutely nowhere NEAR the momentum Rage had for this campaign, not a chance it will beat Matt.

For reference:
    Tuesday midweeks (downloads only)
    1. Rage 83K
    2.Joe 77K

Wednesday midweeks (downloads only)
    1. Rage 175K
    2. Joe 109K

Thursday midweeks (including Joe's physical CD for the first time)

1. Rage 253K
    2. Joe 216K

Friday midweeks
    1. Rage 306K
    2. Joe 297K

So as you can see Joe was NEVER in front, Rage had the momentum and kept it from the start and when Matt's first sales info comes out tomorrow and he is well in front then the same will be true of him.

For Bird to succeed it will have to start doing well NOW when only up against Matt's downloads and as it's lagging behind by some way, it's going to have to pick up shortly before Matt's CD comes out on Wednesday because then it's game over.

This is one chart battle that just won't get started. Rage was a genuine campaign and people whole heartedly backed it, because it meant something this is just a silly attempt to try and jump on the bandwagon and will fail miserably.

I will happily eat humble pie if Surfin Bird is sitting atop next Sunday but I just cannot see it:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The major difference also being that Rage were one of the world's most popular bands before X-Factor was ever conceived...
    Forum Member
    Agree Nicola. And that momentum came from the fact many people were already big fans of the RATM song.

It may have also been a silly campaign, but having rage as a potential christmas no1 was just too funny to turn down. Then we had their commentary on it, the fact it was for charity and they were doing a free gig all helped. It seemed like a funny and exciting battle for no1.

This just doesn't have that same feeling to me. I thought rage deserved it, I don't care about the trashman and their annoying song, whether it was on family guy or not :D

That and Matt's song will probably do better than Joe's and is seen as less of a joke than Joe's was and finally, as you say, it is currently behind Matt's song.

By the time the physical single comes out, it's going to have no chance at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main opposition to Matts song for xmas number 1 is Surfin Bird by the Trashmen

I think this song is fantastic. Surely it can beat bland Matt to number 1 :)

Remember Bird is the Word!:D

Old news, the main competition looks like it might be the original version of the winners song by Biffy Clyro if you listen to the national radio stations.

They have talked about this on Radio 1 and 2 today and nothing about Surfin Bird.
    Forum Member
    if you look at what is actually happening on the "real time" charts you will see that the Trashmen is number 1 on the Amazon chart and play.com chart. Matt only makes it to number 3 on here

on itunes matt is number 1 but the Trashmen are rising steadily, were number 6 but now number 4 after being played on radio 1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffy being his main competition is much more likely, ala Alexandra and Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, which Alexandra still won.

I would find that a bit pathetic though because if people REALLY loved Biffy's version it would have charted much higher this year, and showing that people would be downloading it to spite Matt/X Factor and not because 'they love the song'.

Also for reference unlike Matt who debuted straight in at number one this morning, Joe entered initially at #35 after release on itunes then climbed to number 1 later that morning.

This campaign is nothing like Rage, Rage even recaptured their itunes lead by Tuesday night and increased it significantly, and kept it all week.

This campaign will have nothing like that kind of impact:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://i55.tinypic.com/2gtte1g.jpg

Look at that lead, Matt has it, game over. Plus he has his physical release to come which will further boost it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you look at what is actually happening on the "real time" charts you will see that the Trashmen is number 1 on the Amazon chart and play.com chart. Matt only makes it to number 3 on here

on itunes matt is number 1 but the Trashmen are rising steadily, were number 6 but now number 4 after being played on radio 1

Unfortunately Amazon and play.com account for a small percentage of the digital market where Itunes is king and Matt's current lead is pretty huge.

The Itunes bars are always the biggest indicator

Not saying it's impossible for anything to beat him, but Matt's lead is growing by the hour and it's going to take some going to shift him. Definite number 1 in tomorrow's midweeks, something Joe couldn't manage all week:cool:
  • hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfin bird '4 on itunes, but has been back by scott mills and greg james played it too.

Also amazon is selling it 30p cheaper than itunes, plus you can buy more from amazon.

It will be closer than what people think
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt will win easily and it is probably my favourite winners song. I think Surfin Bird is more a bit of fun this year rather than to make a point like RATM so if it doesn't get it it is no big loss. I will just love to hear Surfin Bird anywhere in the top 10 :)
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willz wrote: »

Look at that lead, Matt has it, game over. Plus he has his physical release to come which will further boost it.

I really don't want BITW to be number 1 at least RATM was OK. Is Gamu's song out this week? I haven't heard it but I'd like her to do well she was a great singer and a possible winner (better singer than Rebecca imo) but then Cheryl decided to put through Katie Weasel. :mad: