Spider season - thank godness for cats!

AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Over the last few days more and more huge field spiders have been turning up in our house, much to my delight (:(). Our kitty has been having a whale of a time, hunting down each one and scoffing them! She's getting on a bit now and (thankfully) is too slow to catch her old prey of frogs and birds*, so I think this is giving her a new sense of purpose. I know that spiders do a good job for us, and are more scared of us than we are of them etcetc, but I'm still really pleased to have her around during this time!

She's even somehow managed to get one that was sat above a doorframe that was way out of reach. No idea how she got that one - last I knew she was sat watching it making huntin'-noises, next thing she's making om nom nom noises and eating it! She's all proud of herself too. Bless!

Anyone else happy to have cats around during the spider season?

*she had an odd technique of catching birds - biffing them onto their backs and carrying them by the stomach, always looking really surprised that they were beating their wings in her face! she inevitably let them go after they gave back as good as they got!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't necessarily call any particular season, spider season. My cat must be doing a very good job because I rarely see them! :D
  • Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aesa wrote: »
    Anyone else happy to have cats around during the spider season?
    My kitten (Archie) is perfecting his hunting skills on the spiders. Unfortunatly he doesn't eat them, he just leave shredded spider behind.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I like spiders and appreciate the good work they do in my garden and I don't mind them taking refuge in my house. I am happy to pick them up and move them from 'dangerous' spots (eg before I run a bath). Unfortunately, my 2 younger cats are honing their hunting skills and any spiders spotted in the house are inevitably tortured and dismembered as are moths, flies and wasps. I know I should be grateful that it's not birds or mice but, in the act of catching above creatures my cats are leaving behind a trail of chaos and destruction. :D
  • Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    Unfortunately, my 2 younger cats are honing their hunting skills and any spiders spotted in the house are inevitably tortured and dismembered as are moths, flies and wasps. I know I should be grateful that it's not birds or mice but, in the act of catching above creatures my cats are leaving behind a trail of chaos and destruction. :D
    Sounds familiar. I was moaning today about the pieces of spider I had to clean up this morning, and my sister told me to be glad it's not mice, which is what she gets.

I am the resident insect catcher at work, they don't bother me, just as well as I already have enough phobias.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I hate spider season, because I am absolutely terrified of them. Unfortunately, my kitty is useless at protecting me - she finds it entertaining to just pat them very gently to make them scurry around.

In every other way though, she is beautiful and perfect!
  • MwarpieMwarpie Posts: 559,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not get a spider catcher with a battery that sucks the spider into a tube, that way you can put the spider outside and not take a little life.its so easy and cheap!
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mwarpie wrote: »
    Why not get a spider catcher with a battery that sucks the spider into a tube, that way you can put the spider outside and not take a little life.its so easy and cheap!

They're ok if you don't mind spiders. For those to be any use to me it would have to be at least 10 foot long:eek:
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been some incredibly big spiders in my house recently and whenever i see one i scream like a girl and shout the cat to come and rescue me. He gobbles em down in one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Shadow70 wrote: »
    My kitten (Archie) is perfecting his hunting skills on the spiders. Unfortunatly he doesn't eat them, he just leave shredded spider behind.

Must be a thing about Archies - my Archie does the same!
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    My bloody cat goes for moths and next doors dog but totally ignores spiders lol