Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used an inflatable ATM the other day.

It said 'Please DON'T enter PIN'.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Only get nervous from what I'll catch from touching the dirty buttons.

Cash machines 'as dirty as toilets'

But then again so is money, ever though how many people have touched the money that is given back to you in change from buying something, or have many people have have had thier gruppy hands handles on that supermarket shopping trolly or basket which are never cleaned, but then again the same thing applies were ever you share anything with other members of the public
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had any problems with an ATM and never been paranoid. I don't use them that much to be honest, only on the way to the pub or a night out as that's pretty much the only time I use cash.
    The Wizard wrote: »
    hence why I'm always super quick.

Surely the main reason you should be being quick is out of courtesy to other people. I can't stand ATM dawdlers who get to the front of the queue and they've not even got there card out. They then check their balance, ask for an advice slip, have a think about how much they fancy getting out, ask for a receipt, possibly top their mobile up then they decide they need something from a different account and start rooting around for another card! When I use an ATM it takes me about 15 seconds!
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    But then again so is money, ever though how many people have touched the money that is given back to you in change from buying something ...
    There's also various stats about the proportion of notes that have traces of cocaine though personally I am less concerned about this than the other critical fact which is that these have also been up someone's nose.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no I do not
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I used an inflatable ATM the other day.

It said 'Please DON'T enter PIN'.

I saw one of those but ignored the sign, just to see whether anything interesting happened.

It didn't. To be honest, it was all a bit of a let-down.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also various stats about the proportion of notes that have traces of cocaine though personally I am less concerned about this than the other critical fact which is that these have also been up someone's nose.
    Ignorance is bliss and all that. It probably makes our immune system stronger. :p
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's ever crossed my mind to be paranoid at an ATM but I do use them to put money in the bank rather than take any out so that may have something to do with it.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no I do not
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    ATM Machine - Automatic Teller Machine Machine
    PIN Number - Personal Identification Number Number

Well I never, I always thought the T stood for Transaction!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I'm careful rather than nervous. If someone behind me said "You've dropped something" or similar, I'd ignore them until I'd finished the transaction. As I've heard that's the way some scams work.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    We are lucky that we live somewhere very quiet. The nearest machine to us is in a village four miles away and the type that would steal at an atm stand out like a sore thumb.
    I wouldnt dream of using an atm in a city on a night out. I get the cashearlier in theday.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only a couple of times. One time someone on a bike suddenly pulled up behind me and I think I hit the cancel button and just walked off with the card without any money. Generally if theres people hanging around the machine I just use another one.
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was once using a cash machine with one of my friends standing just next to me. Just as the money came out he reached out clicked his fingers next to my ear, I looked round in surprise and while I was looking away he used his other hand to grab the money out of the slot and palm it. When I looked back... no money! His timing was impeccable. I was totally puzzled until he handed over the cash. It was one of the most impressive slight of hand things I've ever seen, just the smoothness of it. I suppose it goes to show how easily we can be distracted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ron_J wrote: »
    I was once using a cash machine with one of my friends standing just next to me. Just as the money came out he reached out clicked his fingers next to my ear, I looked round in surprise and while I was looking away he used his other hand to grab the money out of the slot and palm it. When I looked back... no money! His timing was impeccable. I was totally puzzled until he handed over the cash. It was one of the most impressive slight of hand things I've ever seen, just the smoothness of it. I suppose it goes to show how easily we can be distracted.

Indeed. Though I'd be a bit worried if I had a friend like that!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    I'm careful rather than nervous. If someone behind me said "You've dropped something" or similar, I'd ignore them until I'd finished the transaction. As I've heard that's the way some scams work.

Same here. I am generally aware of who is around me. When I punch my PIN code in, I make sure I semi hide the key pad with my other hand. I then have my hand waiting for the money as it pops out. I don't dilly dally around.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Whenever I use one I always get paranoid if someone is standing too close or hanging around behind me that they're either trying to see my pin number or I'm gonna get mugged hence why I'm always super quick. I always make sure my hand is over the slot ready to take the money as I worry that someone might lean over and grab it then run off. Money and wallet always go straight to front pocket (not back as usual) in case someone sees me and they dip my back pocket.

Anyone else get a bit paranoid at ATM machines and is this normal?

Erm, no, and I'm a fortysomething woman.

Why not use the ATMs inside a bank?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Erm, no, and I'm a fortysomething woman.

Why not use the ATMs inside a bank?

My local ATM is a few seconds walk away from my house, the nearest bank would require a bus-ride into town!
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of paranoid people here, I'd be interested to know the actual statistics of robberies at ATMs compared to the amount of people that use them daily. I've never had any issues and don't know anyone personally who has had any problems. I've used ATMs all over the world from San Francisco to Amsterdam to Manchester and never felt uneasy. I always use the outside ones too. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe people are overreacting.
  • Options
    spanishmarkspanishmark Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    We have them here in Spain. It does feel a little weird not getting a card back from the machine after you've got money out.

The banks tend to lock their doors at night to avoid the place being used as a toilet for them what's on their way back from clubbing- so you have to use the ones on the street.

Interestingly, the doors to the little ATM cubicles/rooms that many banks have can be locked from the inside to stop anyone else getting in

ETA - I mean NFC ATMs
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    I always use the ones inside the bank unless I really can't get there as I do feel the security is probably better inside the buildings.

I'm always careful to cover the pin pad and (although it may be somewhat annoying to those behind me) I don't rush - I always take my time and make sure both my card and my money are safely put away before I turn round to leave.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    There's a lot of paranoid people here, I'd be interested to know the actual statistics of robberies at ATMs compared to the amount of people that use them daily. I've never had any issues and don't know anyone personally who has had any problems. I've used ATMs all over the world from San Francisco to Amsterdam to Manchester and never felt uneasy. I always use the outside ones too. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe people are overreacting.

I have no statistics to back this claim up, but I think it’s safe to say that the number of ‘ATM crimes’ committed (several hundred a week) compared to the number of incident-free ATM transactions is exceedingly low.

However, that statistic (whatever it may be) would be of little comfort to someone who had just been fleeced. :cry:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337158/Cashpoint-card-snatches-treble-Romanian-crime-gangs-responsible-92-thefts-cash-machines-police-believe.html
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »

According to the Daily Mail, ATM robbery is rife and it's done by illegal immigrants.
    The Daily Mail has lots and lots of photographs of people being robbed at ATMs.
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I don't tend to use cash machines that much but when I do I try and use the ones inside the bank rather than on the street.
    I had to use one at a London train station once and I became aware of someone coming up behind me, they then said they didn't have any money blah blah etc... I just whacked the cancel button got my card and left.