Kate or Audrey, which Hepburn do you prefer?

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which actress is your favourite out of the two, based only on talent and charisma, NOT looks or style. People always judge actresses on how they look or what their fashion sense is like. No, this is purely about their performances.

I for one am no fan of Audrey, Kate is an all time fave of mine, love her in The Philadelphia Story, Woman of the Year, Adam's Rib, The Lion in Winter, and Stage Door.

What do others think, who's your favourite?

Comments

• emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    I have seen quite a few films from both of them, and although I like them both, i think I would have to go for Audrey. I find her such a joy to watch. I love her in Breakfast at Tiffany's, Roman Holiday, Sabrina and Charade in particular. I do think Katherine Hepburn was a great actress and star of course, but nine times out of ten I would always choose Audrey to watch. What a great thing though that we will always have their films to revisit :)
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither, my favourite Hepburn is Dee from Gregory's Girl.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Audrey, because...Audrey.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katharine all the way. One of the greatest actresses of all time. She had class, she had grace and she always made her performances so effortless. While she was often typecast, she would always bring layers and depth to her characters, normally outperforming the material she would be given.

Never been a fan of Audrey. I found her a very limited actress. Gorgeous to look at. But her performances always left me empty and hollow. She was a bit like Emma Thompson of the hollywood golden age. Could only play one-dimensional stuck up upper class characters. The only decent performance I think she ever did was in Breakfast At Tiffany's. She was dreadfully miscast in films such as Funny Face and My Fair Lady.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katharine all the way. One of the greatest actresses of all time. She had class, she had grace and she always made her performances so effortless. While she was often typecast, she would always bring layers and depth to her characters, normally outperforming the material she would be given.

Never been a fan of Audrey. I found her a very limited actress. Gorgeous to look at. But her performances always left me empty and hollow. She was a bit like Emma Thompson of the hollywood golden age. Could only play one-dimensional stuck up upper class characters. The only decent performance I think she ever did was in Breakfast At Tiffany's. She was dreadfully miscast in films such as Funny Face and My Fair Lady.

I totally agree with you. I am sure Audrey was good in her light comedy roles, but i can never warm to her. She's too 'twee' as Emma Thompson called her. She was poplular more for her sense of style and her elfin looks (which I cannot stand) I hate that cutsie thing she had going on in the 50s. Some of her movies, like Sabrina, and Roman Holiday leave me cold for some reason.

Btw have you seen Kate in Stage Door (1937)?
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Audrey is nearer to my generation. Her starring-role films were all only ~ 5-20 years old when I started watching them. That's an important factor as film styles and acting styles evolve.

So Audrey gets my vote.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which actress is your favourite out of the two, based only on talent and charisma, NOT looks or style. People always judge actresses on how they look or what their fashion sense is like. No, this is purely about their performances.

I for one am no fan of Audrey, Kate is an all time fave of mine, love her in The Philadelphia Story, Woman of the Year, Adam's Rib, The Lion in Winter, and Stage Door.

What do others think, who's your favourite?

Kate, definitely. I've never been a fan of Audrey as an actor, partly perhaps because the kind of films she made just weren't my cup of tea. Kate, on the other hand, had it all as far as I was concerned.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree with you. I am sure Audrey was good in her light comedy roles, but i can never warm to her. She's too 'twee' as Emma Thompson called her. She was poplular more for her sense of style and her elfin looks (which I cannot stand) I hate that cutsie thing she had going on in the 50s. Some of her movies, like Sabrina, and Roman Holiday leave me cold for some reason.

Btw have you seen Kate in Stage Door (1937)?

No i haven't
    I am slowly working my way through her films:)
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine. The Queen of the Silver Screen