Morrisons Begins Halal Pick & Mix

Comments

• cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    The bigotry and agenda is so obvious.
    The agenda may be obvious, but you don't necessarily have to be a bigot, just because you don't love all things muslim y'know! ^_^
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Because religions often have things in common that they find acceptable.

But we're not talking here about any religion being given special "approval".

Even if the animal is stunned before slaughter? Happens with most halal meat apparently. Anyway this is about sweets, not meat!

Wrong! It very much is about meat too. Non-stunned meat.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would seem that halal gelatine is made from cow bone (cows that have been stunned before slaughter) rather than pig bone.

Which is why it's not labelled as vegetarian or vegan.

I'm not convinced that the ten Morrisons stores are only selling halal pick and mix. I think they're having a separate halal pick and mix counter?
    Forum Member
    Fanielle wrote: »
    It would seem that halal gelatine is made from cow bone (cows that have been stunned before slaughter) rather than pig bone.

Which is why it's not labelled as vegetarian or vegan.

I'm not convinced that the ten Morrisons stores are only selling halal pick and mix. I think they're having a separate halal pick and mix counter?

No it isn't - This link explains that.

http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile%28yummy-sweets-ltd%29_415915.htm
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I think this argument is going to go along the same lines as the one about the subway going halal.....

Posters are talking about it being good for business, but surely this can't be the case if this move is going to be in every Morrisons across the country?

It seems to me that halal is moving into the mainstream too much.

The article quite clearly says that the halal pick & mix will be in 10 stores.

Those 10 stores will have been chosen because in those areas it will be a good business move.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    In 2115, the UK will be like a Muslim country ie Saudi Arabia imo
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »

But they have several sections on their website - halal sweets, vegetarian sweets and vegan sweets. Surely they all fall under vegan or veggie if no cow gelatine is used?

Bovine gelatine marketed as halal gelatine is available to purchase widely
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it'll be like the Jetsons.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though of course halal food can be consumed by people of any religion.

You're wrong. Sikhs are forbidden from eating halal meat. It is known as Kutha meat in their religion and is strictly prohibited by many practising Sikhs.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're wrong. Sikhs are forbidden from eating halal meat. It is known as Kutha meat in their religion and is strictly prohibited by many practising Sikhs.
    Interesting. Some Hindus as well apparently

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutha_meat
    Kutha (Kuttha) meat is defined as "meat of animal or fowl slaughtered slowly", as prescribed by the Halal and Kosher rituals.[1] It has been more broadly defined as "killing an animal with a prayer",[2] or as "a sacrifice to God",[3] or meat prepared through "unnecessary ritualism".[4]

Both the Hindu and the Sikh communities view this method of killing animals negatively and forbid adherents from consuming such meat. Hindu philosophy views Kutha as a means of repression and an inhumane non-Aryan[5] way of killing animals for human consumption.

And obviously it is not acceptable to Christians who view Allah worshiping as idol worshiping etc (more evangelical wings) whilst it is to others such as Catholics.

If you google should Christians eat halal meat you can see the split.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

OK, thanks. There are always exceptions!
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Not that I agree, but why is Saudi your sole example of a Muslim country? There are less extreme Muslim countries you could have mentioned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too much faffing with sweet recipes afaic. A nearby factory makes Midget Gems and they've ruined them by b*ggering with the recipe. Taste nowt like they used to. .
    don't tell me they've stopped them tasting of soap?
    Inkblot wrote: »

Finding gelatine-free sweets is a real pain for vegetarians.
    There was a fashion a few years back for cute little sweet shops with jars of sugary treats and I often went in and asked whether the ones I wanted were vegetarian. The staff would have to look them up in the print-outs of ingredients they got from the suppliers - they never simply had a "V" on the label. Invariably the interesting-looking salt liquorice would turn out to be full of pork and I'd have to apologise for wasting their time...

[/QUOTE]
    YOu must try veggie Percys from Marks and Spencers. http://veggieadvisor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Veggie-Percy-775x1024.jpg Full of fruit juice as well, so they are bound to count as one of your five a day.
    Now that IS what I call global warming.
    Forum Member
    But they have several sections on their website - halal sweets, vegetarian sweets and vegan sweets. Surely they all fall under vegan or veggie if no cow gelatine is used?

Bovine gelatine marketed as halal gelatine is available to purchase widely

Yes, they do. However it clearly states that non stunned animal produce is used in their halal sweets. Hopefully not in the vegan and vegetarian products though!

I am not sure what your second point is.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Catering to a particular demographic is merely a commercial decision. It's not about "promoting religious nonsense".

They can cater for them by making and selling vegetarian and gluten free sweets. Halal is a religious thing that they are promoting by calling it that.

It normalises religion and with sweets that means children. That should not be happening.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Isn't agar-agar a seaweed based gelatine? No meat, but the same thickening qualities?

Yes and that is called Vegetarian! Not Halal.

The whole point IS that it is promoting religion and forcing it on people as normal.
    They could just call them Vegetarian and Gluten Free which in in fact and honesty what they are, but no, they have decided to call them by a religious name.

I mean hot cross buns are now available all year round and are a spiced bun. They don't call them "Our Saviour Buns" or "Jesus Cakes" and therefore promote Christianity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can cater for them by making and selling vegetarian and gluten free sweets. Halal is a religious thing that they are promoting by calling it that.

It normalises religion and with sweets that means children. That should not be happening.

Tesco do kosher sweets. Where's the problem?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »

Our Tesco set up a whole festive display for Diwali, with a special snack stall by the entrance. My children used to be drawn like a magnet. It is my impression that Waitrose round here goes more for kosher/ passover food, and Tesco for Halal/ diwali (and Polish) food. Maybe the Jewish population of NW London are just posher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our Tesco set up a whole festive display for Diwali, with a special snack stall by the entrance. My children used to be drawn like a magnet. It is my impression that Waitrose round here goes more for kosher/ passover food, and Tesco for Halal/ diwali (and Polish) food. Maybe the Jewish population of NW London are just posher.

Our Waitrose has a dedicated kosher bay while Sainsbury's (not one of the largest) has an Irish one, an Eastern European one, and a lot of kosher, halal and West Indian food. It's like a world food aisle without a sign.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »

I reckon quite a few supermarkets do Christmas puddings and hot cross buns too. ;-)

Won't anyone think of the poor children? :cry:
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see the problem with offering the choice provided that courtesy is extended to everyone and non-halal sweets are still available.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Halal is it sweets your looking for

Hilarious joke. Halal how you doing? :) lol
  • BatanyaBatanya Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Midget Gems made from meat? Who knew?

I always thought that they were fashioned from little blobs of bathroom sealant.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batanya wrote: »
    Midget Gems made from meat? Who knew?

And now you can get them made from unstunned midgets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vote UKIP and we can change all this