Options

shingles.

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
what does it feel like?

chicken pox is running through my grandchildren, i can feel a spot on the side of my nose [can`t see it, i don`t have a mirror] and when i touch it the spot/lump itself doesn`t hurt but i get a neuralgic pain in my forehead. does this sound about right?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was fairy obvious it was like a rash on my forehead. I believe it attacks the nerve endings.

You really need to see your doctor.

Found this on the NHS website.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
  • Options
    spanishmarkspanishmark Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I've (unfortunately) suffered with Shingles many times (at least 6 that I can remember). The nerve endings are affected and can be pretty painful - so going to your GP and getting treatment sooner rather than later is always a good idea. I never had anything near my face, but I understand that can get quite painful.

If you've had chickenpox as a child then developing shingles from exposure to chickenpox infected children is, thankfully, not something that happens a lot.

If you are diagnosed with shingles then expect to feel achy, run down and itchy. Whenever I have had shingles I have got over the worst in a week or so, but the symptoms (especially the rash) can go on for much longer.

Possibly the worst thing was having it constantly referred to as herpes (in Spain). :)

Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thank you both:)

it`s looking reasonably likely, going to the doc tomorrow.

my understanding is that you can`t get shingles unless you`ve had chicken pox and that you get it from re-exposure to it [chicken pox]?

have i got that arse about?
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it once at the base of my spine. Keep away from anyone who's pregnant until it's fully diagnosed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I checked this out when my children had chicken pox. You can get chicken pox from those with shingles but not the other way round. You should be careful with pregnant women who have not had chicken pox and anyone with a compromised immune system that has not had it if you do have shingles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so if i have it it won`t be because i`ve been exposed to chicken pox, just coincidence?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you can't catch shingles from someone with chickenpox. But do go to your doctor, you need to start taking the anti-virals as soon as the rash appears for it to have any effect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As previously said, get to the doctors and ask for an emergency appointment if necessary. It is important that you get medication within 72 hours. It won't cure you but help arrest the spread. I hardly ever go to the docs but when I read up about it I was there in a shot.

Mine started 21st Jan with a tingle on the bridge of my nose. Next day the red rash started to appear and a couple of days after the blisters started to form. I experienced every type of pain going over the next few weeks. Stabbing pains, dull headache, severe headache. And some mornings I woke up feeling like I couldn't move, like flu but without the other symptoms. During the first month the itching became unbearable to the point the I wanted to scratch my face off. The rash/blisters go in 10-14 days but the condition remains. Today, although I'm a lot better, I can honestly say I've not had a single day without pain and itching to some degree. My saving grace is that it has not affected my sleep. Oh, and if it is near your eye you may need to see an optician. I didn't but my sight was definitely affected for a few weeks.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but this thing is an underestimated bugger that I wouldn't wish on anyone.:(

If you've got the stomach for it, this is mine in the early days:

http://mazbo.minus.com/lbk6p139csqYOd

Anyway annette, I really hope that all you have is a spot and it's not shingles. Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keep.flyin wrote: »
    I checked this out when my children had chicken pox. You can get chicken pox from those with shingles but not the other way round. You should be careful with pregnant women who have not had chicken pox and anyone with a compromised immune system that has not had it if you do have shingles.

My husband was in hospital when mine developed so I asked the doctor about visiting and he said not to worry but try to avoid pregnant women. He put mine down to stress/being run down but they don't really know what triggers it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    christ it looks really bloody painful:eek:

i`ve been reading the early symptoms and they fit [though they are pretty general] but i only have one spot so i hope i have googlitis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christ it looks really bloody painful:eek:

i`ve been reading the early symptoms and they fit [though they are pretty general] but i only have one spot so i hope i have googlitis.

My company nurse diagnosed mine, saw my GP and was prescribed Zovirax tablets and they cleared up quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may have a better idea if it is shingles by now as the initial symptoms develop quite quickly. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    My brother got chicken pox and then shingles. Human versions are not nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got shingles on one side of my chest. I only had 3 itchy spots but the pain that went with it was awful. I couldn't sleep at all and paced the floor all night. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think it`s a kind of spot:o. though i`ll get some zovirax anyhow.

i`m puzzled as to why it doesn`t hurt when i touch it but i get neuralgic pain elsewhere.

thank you all.
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it a couple of Xmases ago. It affected the right side of my back moving around to my chest. The pain for me was like needles into bone, very painful and tender. It took a good fortnight to go (without any treatment). I still get a little tingling pain today if there's a change in the weather and it gets a bit cooler. So my shingles gave me the ability to predict the weather!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think it`s a kind of spot:o. though i`ll get some zovirax anyhow.

i`m puzzled as to why it doesn`t hurt when i touch it but i get neuralgic pain elsewhere.

thank you all.

I'm pleased that is all it is because, as I said earlier, I wouldn't wish shingles on anyone.

I think, generally speaking, the severity of shingles worsens as you get older. My BIL had it in his 20's and said it just felt like a bit of sunburn but my experience in my late 50's has been totally different. I would certainly opt for a vaccination if it were available on the NHS and I would recommend anyone else over 50 doing so too.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had it for almost 2 weeks now, on one side of my abdomen. The pain came first - I thought I had pulled a muscle. Then a day or two later a red blotch appeared - I thought I must have scalded myself washing the dishes. Then the rash spread all round my left side at quite an alarming rate, nasty fluid filled blisters, very itchy and uncomfortable to put pressure on.

The doctor put me on Aciclovir (Zovirax) and 6 days later the rash is beginning to clear up.

Vaccination is out of the question for me as I have an immune disease and the vaccine uses a live virus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get well soon. It's a nasty illness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I've had it for almost 2 weeks now, on one side of my abdomen. The pain came first - I thought I had pulled a muscle. Then a day or two later a red blotch appeared - I thought I must have scalded myself washing the dishes. Then the rash spread all round my left side at quite an alarming rate, nasty fluid filled blisters, very itchy and uncomfortable to put pressure on.

The doctor put me on Aciclovir (Zovirax) and 6 days later the rash is beginning to clear up.

Vaccination is out of the question for me as I have an immune disease and the vaccine uses a live virus.

Glad it's clearing up. At least now you know how it feels so you can get to the doctors before the rash appears next time, or at the very least on the day it appears. As mentioned in the thread, Zovirax does not work if you leave it too late.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm terrified of the day shingles get me tbh, I got chicken pox when I was 10 weeks pregnant and it was so bloody awful.:(