Options

Song Suggestions 2015!

Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There was one for last year, so why not one for this year? :D There is only ONE RULE and that's that you could conceivably dance the suggested style to the music (a rule strictly breaks sometimes!) So no waltzes in 4/4 time, no jives to a samba rhythm etc. If you're not sure, there's a lot of information here - just click on the "international style" dances (and salsa) as those are the ones represented on strictly - argentine tango and charleston aren't on there but I'm sure someone who knows more than me might have a useful link!

First suggestions from me are for Samba!

Bailando - Enrique Iglesias
Everything I can't have - Robin Thicke
Troublemaker - olly murs
Classic - MKTO
Maria (original version) - Ricky Martin
Riptide - vance joy
Long time - Shakira
mas que nada - black eyed peas ft sergio mendes

Comments

• Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,512
    Forum Member
    We're bound to get a Salsamcha to Uptown Funk and possibly a Week 1 CCC to Lips Are Movin'/ All About That Bass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're bound to get a Salsamcha to Uptown Funk and possibly a Week 1 CCC to Lips Are Movin'/ All About That Bass.

Uptown Funk is such a great song! Such a shame it doesn't really go with any of the dances (maybe Salsa? I dont really know anything about salsa tbh.) Or speed it up a bit and make it a ccc? Or slow it down and samba? It's like Roar by katy perry - great song but you can't dance on strictly to it. :(

All about that bass would've been a cool cha cha for allison. She could have carried it off with charisma and attitude. :)

Edit: I sometimes think of songs as suiting particular contestants like that^. I think A Night Like This by Caro Emerald would've been a good cha cha for sophie ellis bextor. Here's some people dancing one at a competition to it.
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see

You ruin me (The Veronicas) - Rhumba
    Ugly Heart (G.R.L.) - Cha Cha
    Need you tonight (INXS) - Tango
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are loads of good songs which haven't been used before that could be used on strictly.......but in all honesty what can you expect from the producers that thought 'Zorba the Greek' would be a good idea for an Argentine Tango! Either that or they thought it would be a good choice to scupper the chances of a popular contestant.

I expect very little from these producers - which means I think we'll get more recycled songs, more bland dirges or cheesy songs, more inappropriate music choices/themes which don't suit the dances - this will happen especially towards the end when they want to get rid of contestants who are a threat to their favourites or aren't signed up for the tour. There'll be a few contemporary 'current' songs thrown in for the younger audience and yes I think one of them might be 'Uptown funk' except I'm bored to tears of it already. There'll be shoe horning songs into the dances simply because it's a reference to the celeb's career or nationality as happened before. If we're lucky there might be a few good choices in each episode but I'm not holding out hope for anything more than that.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,408
    Forum Member
    I think Meghan Trainor will feature heavily this year.

Witty songs and easy to choreograph to - especially as has been mentioned - the larger contestant with "All about the base"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched an Amy Winehouse live-set on YouTube last night and it struck me what a classy Foxtrot Love Is A Losing Game would make.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sheeran/Sam Smith/George Ezra are bound to feature.

Along with that Hozier song Take Me To Church (this year's Somebody That I Used To Know)

And Sia..wonder if the pair dancing to her will have their backs to the audience in tribute?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant for this thread more to be what songs YOU want rather than whats you think the producers might pick which won't fit at all, lol.

Okay - my rumba suggestions!

Bang bang (my baby shot me down) - nico vega (first two mins only)
    female of the species - space (good one for halloween possibly)
    light my fire - will young
    heartbeats - daniela andrade
    wicked game - chris isaak
    toxic - callmekat
    the other woman - caro emerald
    unconditionally - katy perry (rumba remix version)

I love the last one so much I cant listen to the original version... it sounds so much better slower!

on the topic of dance specific remix I am addicted to this version of shake senora. It is a bit cringey and features both pitbull AND sean paul but I could see a live version like it being used for samba on strictly. It's like an updated version of the harry belafonte song ola and steve did their samba to.

I've also been listening to holding out for a hero by bonnie tyler and I think it would be such a camp, dramatic strictly tango - it just has to happen!
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just some proper Tango music... please!!!
  • Options
    Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,917
    Forum Member
    Ellie_ wrote: »
    female of the species - space (good one for halloween possibly)

Often think of this song, might work for a Foxtrot/Argentine Tango as well, depending of the arrangement. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Just some proper Tango music... please!!!

Any links? They seem to be getting more on board with using proper tango music for AT but still not so much for ballroom which is a shame (says the person who just suggested holding out for a hero, lol)

I weirdly quite like bang bang by jessie j and ariana grande for a jive. I never would have suggested it in a million years but Val and Janel did their jive to it on DWTS and it was oddly good!

On the topic - could we have Val? ;-) (I know this will never happen but I love him!)
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Local radio played Slade "Coz I Love You" the other day. A right blast from the past but I think it would make a cracking foxtrot! Specially on Hallowe'en as it has that dark, minor key sound to it and the violins sound vaguely "Danse Macarbre" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trouble by Iggy Azalea and Jennifer Hudson might be a fun Foxtrot.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is bound to be either a pro dance or a celeb/pro dance to Uptown Funk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    there is bound to be either a pro dance or a celeb/pro dance to Uptown Funk

Can the BBC afford to pay the royalties now it has 11 credited writers ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Can the BBC afford to pay the royalties now it has 11 credited writers ??

They've danced to a Beatles song. If you can afford the rights to Beatles music, you can afford anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ed Sheeran/Sam Smith/George Ezra are bound to feature.

Hope Anton and - whichever doddery old biddy he gets this year - have to dance to "Bloodstream" by Ed Sheeran - because that is what everyone watching will be feeling !!!
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love me like you do by Ellie Goulding for Rumba maybe ?

Blank Space by Taylor Swift....

All I know is that they will use some of the current popular songs.

I'm pretty sure that Uptown Funk will be used as well.
  • Options
    strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best is yet to come for a foxtrot?
    Love you I do by Jennifer Hudson also for a foxtrot or American smooth
  • Options
    Joel BonnerJoel Bonner Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I know that it's already been used, but I'd love 'Show Me Heaven' by Maria McKee to be used for a Rumba.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that it's already been used, but I'd love 'Show Me Heaven' by Maria McKee to be used for a Rumba.

I don't recall it ever being used tbh - unless it was in one of the early series I missed.

I guess they could use it again especially if they have a 'movie' theme week complete with the male pro dressed as a racing driver for extra cheesiness :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I don't recall it ever being used tbh - unless it was in one of the early series I missed.

I guess they could use it again especially if they have a 'movie' theme week complete with the male pro dressed as a racing driver for extra cheesiness :D

Claire King, I think.

Have we ever had a Rumba to Power of Love by Jennifer Rush?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claire King, I think.

Have we ever had a Rumba to Power of Love by Jennifer Rush?

Ok, thanks I did watch most of series 4 but I don't remember that - I guess if it was that far back they can use it again.

I don't remember 'Power of Love' ever being used either.

It's been suggested for the past few series - I heard it on the radio the other night when she was in concert - Caro Emerald's 'Tangled up' - shame it's never been used because it'd be perfect for a modern AT.
  • Options
    Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,917
    Forum Member
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    It's been suggested for the past few series - I heard it on the radio the other night when she was in concert - Caro Emerald's 'Tangled up' - shame it's never been used because it'd be perfect for a modern AT.

It's being saved for when they introduce Trio Week on Strictly.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Hope Anton and - whichever doddery old biddy he gets this year - have to dance to "Bloodstream" by Ed Sheeran - because that is what everyone watching will be feeling !!!

:D:D:D

:blush::blush: