Options

Morrisons Begins Halal Pick & Mix

BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
Forum Member
✭✭✭
16th April 2015

Please discuss.

Morrisons is trialling a halal pick and mix counter at 10 stores, offering gelatine-free sweets to Muslim customers.
The selection of 36 sweets includes liquorice sticks, cola bottles, jelly beans, gummy bears and sugared lips - all guaranteed to be free of non-halal animal products or alcohol-based colourings and flavourings.
The move is being tested at stores in Blackburn, Bolton, Preston, Bradford, West Bromwich, Birmingham, Leamington Spa and three in London.
It was welcomed by Salim Mulla, chairman of the halal sub-committee at the Lancashire Council of Mosques.
"Sweets are very popular with the Muslim community," he said. "I think the pick and mix will do really well."

Abdul Hamid Qureshi, chairman of the Lancashire Council of Mosques, said he also welcomed the introduction of more halal foods in supermarkets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11537349/Morrisons-is-first-supermarket-to-stock-halal-pick-and-mix-sweets.html

Comments

• Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halal is it sweets your looking for
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've been able to get gelatine-free sweets for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good point.

So why this? I'm not sure but i wonder if these sweet stands are labelled gelatine-free or halal?

Are they for muslims or are they for everybody? If they are for everybody, this being England they wouldn't be named halal, you'd have thought?
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But they're not gelatine free. They're just using gelatine from halal slaughtered animals.

To me it makes zero sense. Just make them them geletine free completely then everyone can eat them.

It's yet more for the anti Muslim brigade to complain about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3040047/Morrisons-halal-pick-mix-sale-Britain.html
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, your agenda of posting these topics has no place here. You live in a multi-cultural country. Get used to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    But they're not gelatine free. They're just using gelatine from halal slaughtered animals.

To me it makes zero sense. Just make them them geletine free completely then everyone can eat them.

It's yet more for the anti Muslim brigade to complain about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3040047/Morrisons-halal-pick-mix-sale-Britain.html

It says they are gelatine-free in the article Lyceum?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. Old news. Some Haribo sweets are kosher. I think Haribo also offers vegan and halal versions? Not too sure, to be honest.

"Please discuss."

Are you a professor or something?
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, your agenda of posting these topics has no place here. You live in a multi-cultural country. Get used to it.

So much for tolerence and freedom of ideas.

It always amuses me how quickly certain sorts of people are to complain of bigotry in others.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Good idea really make more sales and kids who can't have the others now can have sweets
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an interesting topic, I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    It says they are gelatine-free in the article Lyceum?

In the article I posted it says halal geletine.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    Good point.

So why this? I'm not sure but i wonder if these sweet stands are labelled gelatine-free or halal?

Are they for muslims or are they for everybody? If they are for everybody, this being England they wouldn't be named halal, you'd have thought?

To me, it's no different to seeing "this may contain peanuts", which is heads up for those with nut intolerance. I can eat halal sweets and food. Same with kosher food/sweets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    So much for tolerence and freedom of ideas.

It always amuses me how quickly certain sorts of people are to complain of bigotry in others.

The OP is posting various topics on Muslims, presumably trying to prove a 'point'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Huh ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope other supermarkets and shops start to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ok. I guess that needs clearing up then because it does change the story somewhat.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me they should keep religion out of food production.
    Slaughter merhods should be improved throughout and barbaric Halal slaughter should be banned and anyone doing so given a lengthy prison sentence

Those dumb enough to let fiction oppose restrictions on to them should have to do without.

After all they are the ones lacking the brain capacity to realise religion is a load of nonsense and they are following nonsensical rules.

I might have to set up a religion myself just to get my own set of ignorant followers. I will call it Baconia, free Bacon to all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope other supermarkets and shops start to do it.

You'd have thought they would, that has been the way with other products for certain communities.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

The Daily Mail one? :confused:

"Counters will sell 36 types of gelatine-free and alcohol-free sweets"

"A selection of 36 sweets - including liquorice sticks, cola bottles, jelly beans and gummy bears - are on sale, all guaranteed to be free of animal products or alcohol-based ingredients."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Meh. Old news. Some Haribo sweets are kosher. I think Haribo also offers vegan and halal versions? Not too sure, to be honest.

"Please discuss."

Are you a professor or something?

Hi Takae.

No, what makes you ask that?
  • Options
    Forum Member

"A selection of 36 sweets - including liquorice sticks, cola bottles, jelly beans and gummy bears - are on sale, all guaranteed to be free of animal products or alcohol-based ingredients."

I don't like sweets never have even as a kid but as I'm vegetarian and straight edge (which part of means no alcohol even in food) it would be good to have something if I wanted to or liked sweets
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an interesting topic, I guess.

I don't think Topics are part of pick and mix sadly.

Hehe
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, fine, that seems fair as long as Midget Gems , Pineapple Chunks and Scottish Tablet are freely available in the Middle East and the Indian Sub-Continent.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I don't like sweets never have even as a kid but as I'm vegetarian and straight edge (which part of means no alcohol even in food) it would be good to have something if I wanted to or liked sweets

Well, don't think you can just wander into Morrisons and help yourself to gelatine-free, alcohol free sweets!

According to the DM ...

"Morrisons supermarket is bringing in halal-only pick and mix counters"

Presumably, with them being "Halal-only" there's a bouncer at the counter who won't let you buy any if you can't recite part of the Quran! :o

Hmmm ... I wonder if the staff at the DM have ever been for a Chinese takeaway, or do they think they're "Chinese only"? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also says

Halal sweets include only gelatin from halal slaughtered animals and do not contain any other animal-derived ingredients from non-halal animals.

Guess we won't know for sure until the ingredients are listed.