Films that start well and end terribly

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Abyss. Fantastic film, but for the last 5 minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Really?
    So Misery, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Carrie, Dolores Claiborne, The Shining all started out well and ended terribly?
    Nope!

Well said!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic wrote: »
    Zombieland. Excellent first act but just ran out of steam after the Bill Murray cameo.

There's like 25 minutes left after his cameo is over... :o
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Con Air
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    No Country for Old Men. I was just getting into it - then it just kinda ended - WFT?

That was what I first thought as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'm going to be controversial and say Marvel's The Avengers/Avengers Assemble.

It had a good beginning, a fairly good middle (aside from the fact
    Greg Coulson
    is killed off having clocked less than a minutes worth of screen time), and then they introduce the aliens from another dimension, at which point it gets a bit too ridiculous. And I lose the will to live...

I know that's what the Avengers do, but superheros and demigods vs. aliens from another dimension sounds like an Asylum parody...
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I'm going to be controversial and say Marvel's The Avengers/Avengers Assemble.

It had a good beginning, a fairly good middle (aside from the fact
    Greg Coulson
    is killed off having clocked less than a minutes worth of screen time), and then they introduce the aliens from another dimension, at which point it gets a bit too ridiculous. And I lose the will to live...

I know that's what the Avengers do, but superheros and demigods vs. aliens from another dimension sounds like an Asylum parody...

Gonna pick you up on a few points there:

1) The aliens are in the very first scene and feature prominently throughout, they don't come out of nowhere.

2) Greg Coulson features very prominently right from the first few scenes and interacts with all the main characters, and gets by far the most screen time of any of his appearances in the films.

So I don't really understand why it apparently goes pear-shaped midway through? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Gonna pick you up on a few points there:

1) The aliens are in the very first scene and feature prominently throughout, they don't come out of nowhere.

2) Greg Coulson features very prominently right from the first few scenes and interacts with all the main characters, and gets by far the most screen time of any of his appearances in the films.

So I don't really understand why it apparently goes pear-shaped midway through? :confused:

1) The aliens appear in the opening scene? I remember the box being stolen, but I don't remember the aliens being visible in the first scene (or anyone explicitly mentioning aliens in the aftermath)...

2) I don't remember seeing him once during the first hour of the Avengers. It felt to me like they'd randomly brought a character on screen purely so they could kill him off, as an emotional catalyst for the rest of the film. (And it did strike me as bit weird, trying to make the audience upset about the death of character that had maybe 4 lines). [That's a side complaint, it wasn't really relevant to why I thought the ending was terrible]

I just thought the last 20 mins or so where the huge horde of aliens appeared was too ridiculous, and the film became a bit stupid. The whole idea of superheros and demigods vs. aliens felt a bit lacking, and it certainly wasn't helped by the fact the aliens were presence-less and about as terrifying as a potato...
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) The aliens appear in the opening scene?
    2) I don't remember seeing him once during the first hour of the Avengers.

Your memory of what happened in this film is very very poor judging by these comments.

Still, given that this is only film I can actually remember you commenting on in this forum, it clearly did make a very big impression on you.....;)
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Your memory of what happened in this film is very very poor judging by these comments.

Still, given that this is only film I can actually remember you commenting on in this forum, it clearly did make a very big impression on you.....;)
    Yeah. I could probably do with a rewatch. I'm going to shut up now. It was probably just me being idiotic...

I strongly defended Looper, when all of its detractors crawled out of the woodwork.

I'm also the only person in the world willing to publicly admit they preferred Funny People to Knocked Up...

But yes, I do seem to spend quite of a bit of discussing it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I could probably do with a rewatch. I'm going to shut up now. It was probably just me being idiotic...

I strongly defended Looper, when all of its detractors crawled out of the woodwork.

I'm also the only person in the world willing to publicly admit they preferred Funny People to Knocked Up...

But yes, I do seem to spend quite of a bit of discussing it. :)

A rewatch may not be a bad idea..;)

I like Looper too, it was one of my five favourite films of last year. :)
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Village. Great premise ruined by
    a Scooby Doo ending.

Insidious. Genuinely creepy until
    Darth Maul 2.0 shows up, and cliffhanger-esque endings bug me if there isn't a sequel, which I'm not sure there will be.

Piranha 3D. I know it was never meant to be taken seriously, but the final scene was just too ridiculous and OTT, and was an omen for what was to come in that godawful sequel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Village. Great premise ruined by
    a Scooby Doo ending.

I actually really enjoyed The Village
    Scooby Doo ending

and all! :o
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I actually really enjoyed The Village
    Scooby Doo ending

and all! :o

I think it was just because of my expectations, so the reveal really let me down. I actually loved the film until then, I really liked the whole premise, the time period, everything until the end. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was just because of my expectations, so the reveal really let me down. I actually loved the film until then, I really liked the whole premise, the time period, everything until the end. :D

I think a lot of people share your view of The Village though, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine...:D
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evolution

where they shove head and shoulders shampoo up a large brown blob's anus at the end.
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    How else could The Village have ended, may I ask? I thought it was a fairly good twist.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How else could The Village have ended, may I ask? I thought it was a fairly good twist.

Yeah I agree it's the other way around, the ending made the film like with his other film sixth sense
  • TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Atlantic wrote: »
    Zombieland. Excellent first act but just ran out of steam after the Bill Murray cameo.

Yes, same for me. I thought I would enjoy it when it starts with the tips on surviving a zombie attack but I'd lost interest by the time they meet Bill Murray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the issue for a lot of people is that the shock ending thing that M. Night Shyamalan does had become grossly overused by that point.

It didn't really bother me, tbh, but I know it was widely panned for that by the critics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Minority Report & A.I. - Both went on for 30 minutes longer than necessary. Okay, so A.I was pretty meh anyway, but Minority Report was good until Tom Cruise's character was freed from stasis and we had the typical Spielberg happy ending.

Falling Down - Good film right up until the moment they turned Michael Douglas's character from an ambiguous anti-hero to a bad guy stalking his ex-wife.

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Die Hard with a Vengeance yet...
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Near Dark - great film, but the ending is such a cheap, dirty cop-out. So dirty that I wanted to shower in bleach after seeing it.

I agree with this, the beginning of the movie had that perfect sense of atmosphere helped by Tangerine Dreams superbly dark music, the lame blood transfusion scene ruined it for me. Caleb and Mae should've died together in flames, more romantic.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planet of The Apes (2001) not particulary great to begin with but the ending drags it down more.
    April Fool's Day 1986, the ending makes me think why did I bother.
    Haute Tension, verging on the nonsensical just to have a twist.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planet of The Apes (2001) not particulary great to begin with but the ending drags it down more.
    April Fool's Day 1986, the ending makes me think why did I bother.
    Haute Tension, verging on the nonsensical just to have a twist.

Beat me to it:D
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    evolution

where they shove head and shoulders shampoo up a large brown blob's anus at the end.

oh yes - while the rest of it was completely logical,

with no gratuitous side plot about a woman in stockings

it's a comedy! :)