Spice Girls - ages?

ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm guessing this is right place to ask this, rather than the music forum.

I was wondering if there are any Spice Girls fans on here who know if when they first started out, they lied about their ages to appeal to a younger audience.
I read in the paper over the weekend that it's Victoria's 40th birthday soon, which makes her about 6 months younger than me, yet I was under the impression that she was about a couple of years younger.
Also, I have an old copy of Guinness Book Of Hits Singles and Mel C is featured in it and it lists the record that was at number one when she was born, yet on a TV programme the record she mentioned was number one when she was born was from the year before.
I know magazines/papers, etc often get ages wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if they were told to knock a year or two off their ages.

Comments

• The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halliwell's not bad for 75.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not aware that they lied about their ages. They properly formed in July 1994, which made Geri 21, Mel C and Victoria both 20, Mel B 19 and Emma 18. Not sure they were old enough to need to knock a couple of years off their ages? They hadn't knocked any off by the time Wannabe came out, or by the time Victoria and Mel B fell pregnant with their first children.

What did Mel C say was number one? It was Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that Guinness book of hit singles I've got, it says Bohemian Rhapsody was No. 1, but on a prog about Christmas songs she said it was Merry Xmas Everybody.

As I say, it might be a complete misconception on my part, though Howard and Mark from Take That have admitted a couple of years were taken off their ages when Take That started, so I did wonder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    In that Guinness book of hit singles I've got, it says Bohemian Rhapsody was No. 1, but on a prog about Christmas songs she said it was Merry Xmas Everybody.

As I say, it might be a complete misconception on my part, though Howard and Mark from Take That have admitted a couple of years were taken off their ages when Take That started, so I did wonder.

Merry Xmas Everybody came out in December 1973, and was still number one when Mel C was born in Janaury 1074. Bohemian Rhapsody was released in November 1975 but was still number one in January 1976, so I think the record book got her birthday wrong.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I think Geri is the only one I'd question.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Geri is the only one I'd question.

Indeed. Although Geri was born in 1972, rumours were flying about how she'd lopped 2 or 3 years off her 'actual' age during her Spice Girls heyday but it wasn't proven & still isn't.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria was always a year older than David
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Merry Xmas Everybody came out in December 1973, and was still number one when Mel C was born in Janaury 1074. Bohemian Rhapsody was released in November 1975 but was still number one in January 1976, so I think the record book got her birthday wrong.

I hope I look as good as Mel C if I live to be nearly 1000 years old. ;)
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Flanno wrote: »
    Indeed. Although Geri was born in 1972, rumours were flying about how she'd lopped 2 or 3 years off her 'actual' age during her Spice Girls heyday but it wasn't proven & still isn't.

I've never understood why that can't be checked out. Aren't birth certificates viewable as a public record if you go to Whatever-it-is House?
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were always rumours about Geri's age, I think she was caught out early on saying she was 21 when she was actually 24. Of course 24 isn't old either, but when trying to appeal to young teenagers I suppose they want people as close in age as possible to them.

The blond girl from B*witched was the worst though, saying she was 23 and then exposed by the press as actually being 28.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria - 17/4/74 - 40 this week
    mel b - 29/5/75 - 39 next month
    emma - 21/1/76 - 38
    mel c - 12/1/74 - 40
    geri - 6/8/72 - 42 this year [gawd that is frightening lol]

I don't think they necessary lied, they just acted and dressed younger especially mel c and emma. I remember a few years ago my sister and I were talking and cant mind how it came about but I said I thought they were about 16/17 when wannabe came out and my sister laughed and went 'no john they were all in their early 20s'. I didn't believe her until I dug out an old spice girls book I had which had each girls biography on it, read their date of births and did the maths!! I was shocked!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RyJa wrote: »
    I hope I look as good as Mel C if I live to be nearly 1000 years old. ;)

Haha, oops! :p
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be younger than all the Spice Girls.
    These days I'm older than at least 3 of them...
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was always a bit of a question mark over Geri's DOB, but I think their ages seem about right. They were very young when they started out.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

She looks good considering she is 940 years old;-):D
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is right place to ask this, rather than the music forum.

I was wondering if there are any Spice Girls fans on here who know if when they first started out, they lied about their ages to appeal to a younger audience.
    I read in the paper over the weekend that it's Victoria's 40th birthday soon, which makes her about 6 months younger than me, yet I was under the impression that she was about a couple of years younger.
    Also, I have an old copy of Guinness Book Of Hits Singles and Mel C is featured in it and it lists the record that was at number one when she was born, yet on a TV programme the record she mentioned was number one when she was born was from the year before.
    I know magazines/papers, etc often get ages wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if they were told to knock a year or two off their ages.

Under recent age discrimination legislation it is illegal to ask for your age on employment application forms etc. Not sure if that applies here though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    Under recent age discrimination legislation it is illegal to ask for your age on employment application forms etc. Not sure if that applies here though.

The giveaway is the complete employment history going back 30 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Fairly certain that in the very early days they lied about Emma's age, wanting people to think she was even younger, I suppose to milk the baby spice thing. I think it was all cleared up at the time though.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    102, 119, 170, 207, 405. I'll let you guess the order.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    She looks good considering she is 940 years old;-):D

Obviously a vampire. She wasn't called scary for nothing.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the ages are correct even Geri's. Although while there was a lot of talk that Geri was older its never been proven because she was always telling the truth. Simon Fuller wasn't stupid enough to have them lie. It would have ruined his whole machine once it came out.

The actual reason Geri looks older than her years is a sad one. Its purely down to her many eating disorders. That's what it does to you.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I've always questioned Geri's real age. She always looked slightly older than the others, but these days she looks far older. The other 4 (Mel B in particular) look incredible and have all aged really well. Geri... not so much!
  • Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I remember an interview where Geri said how many O Levels she had.
    I was born in 1971 and was the first year of GCSE's so she must be older than me, unless GSCE's were staggered in, but I don't think they were?
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Very rough guess...

Geri 44
    Mel B 43
    Victoria 40
    Mel C 39
    Emma 38

And actual ages (*according to wikipedia, however valid that is)...

Geri 41
    Mel B 39
    Victoria 40
    Mel C 40
    Emma 38

2 out of 5 and I badly overestimated Geri and Mel B.