PFA Awards...

Mark FMark F Posts: 53,855
Forum Member
Shortlist has been announced:

Gerrard, Sturridge, Hazard, Suarez, Lallana & Toure.

Young player : Hazard, Sturridge, Sterling, Shaw, Barkley & Ramsey

Think Suarez and Hazard might win the 2 awards although if they are voted for before Xmas as suggested then Ramsey would win the latter...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    The whole young player award is a joke. Sturridge will probably be win it despite being 24. It should be 21 or under.
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Henderson on either is crazy.

Been better than Gerrard and Lallana in my opinion.
  • TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sturridge deserves the young player award he has been much more consistent
    Than hazzard.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Suarez and somebody who is actually young.

Sturridge is almost 25 FFS.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    *Insert general whinge about why player X isn't nominated, but player Z is*

I'd give it to Suarez and Sturridge.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    De Gea certainly deserves to be in the main shortlist, he has had a fantastic season.

The young player should be for teenagers only.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't really argue with any of the nominations for the main award, all have been excellent this season.

The 24 year old Sturridge being in the Young Player shortlist is, as has been said, ridiculous. I wouldn't go as far as Batdude's suggestion of teenagers only, but certainly 24 is too old.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Dammit, I cannot argue one bit with the main shortlist, zero fun! Suarez should win it
    De Gea certainly deserves to be in the main shortlist, he has had a fantastic season.

The young player should be for teenagers only.

Would ya take off the red tinted specs he hasn't even been the best keeper all season. Ahead of them 6, you're having a laugh
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Can't really argue with any of the nominations for the main award, all have been excellent this season.

The 24 year old Sturridge being in the Young Player shortlist is, as has been said, ridiculous. I wouldn't go as far as Batdude's suggestion of teenagers only, but certainly 24 is too old.

Agree with all of that - and in any case. Its the players voting so they can justify voting for whoever they like.

As for the post above, I believe its an old myth that it is voted for before Christmas. I think the forms go out late Feb and votes are early March. Still a month ago though.
    Forum Member
    Agree with all of that - and in any case. Its the players voting so they can justify voting for whoever they like.

As for the post above, I believe its an old myth that it is voted for before Christmas. I think the forms go out late Feb and votes are early March. Still a month ago though.

This is true afaik

Def too early. Then again it'd be hard have them after season, given everyone is gone off for Summer. But surely voting could be done even around now?

These awards are often a farce, but I trust the right call will be made and Suarez deservedly gets it.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why they can't do it live on TV after the FA Cup.
    Forum Member
    I've heard opinions that YPOTY should be replaced by newcomer of the year. Mightn't be the worst idea

Was a thread on it recently alright but it'd be interesting see who the 6 would be for that

Couldn't have played in PL (or registered to play in PL) last season being criteria I would imagine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sturridge age thing is nothing new - Milner won it at 24.

I think Liverpool will scoop all 3 awards independant of winning the league.
    Forum Member
    GetHoppy wrote: »
    The Sturridge age thing is nothing new - Milner won it at 24.

I think Liverpool will scoop all 3 awards independant of winning the league.

I'd say so.

Deservedly to be fair

Even if they don't win it, it's been an amazing season. 7th last year not all that many gave them a chance of finishing top 4
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cut off is 23 at the start of the season. Same as for the U21's.

Sterling should win it though.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I thought Ivanovic might be on there but I can't really argue with who has been shortlisted. Suarez must be heavy odds-on to win.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Dammit, I cannot argue one bit with the main shortlist, zero fun! Suarez should win it

Would ya take off the red tinted specs he hasn't even been the best keeper all season. Ahead of them 6, you're having a laugh

It has nothing to do with my red tinted specs, her has been our only outstanding player all season long.
    I never said he should be ahead of the others, just that he deserves to be at least alongside of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    I'd say so.

Deservedly to be fair

Even if they don't win it, it's been an amazing season. 7th last year not all that many gave them a chance of finishing top 4

All the more impressive when you think this is basically the same team as the one that finished 7th given that none of the new signings have featured much apart from Mignolet.
    Forum Member
    It has nothing to do with my red tinted specs, her has been our only outstanding player all season long.
    I never said he should be ahead of the others, just that he deserves to be at least alongside of them.

Given the season ye've had if ye had a representative in a shortlist for player of the year, it'd be farcical

Ramsey has been Arsenal's best player (they had better season than ye), Barry/Lukaku/Coleman- take your pick- have been Everton's outstanding performers (again better season than ye). Why arent you touting for these?

To put de Gea on a par with Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard, influential players for the probable title winners and world class players like Toure and Hazard is laughable in the extreme
    Forum Member
    GetHoppy wrote: »
    All the more impressive when you think this is basically the same team as the one that finished 7th given that none of the new signings have featured much apart from Mignolet.

Saw the last day there were 4 in the summer!

Mignolet as you mention

Aspas, Moses and Cissokho other 3 I assume?

Super impressive as right
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be shocked if Suarez did not win. I agree with the poster above regarding Henderson. I don't think Liverpool will scope all the awards I think Hazard will feature somewhere.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Sakho will have featured more if not for injury, but yes we've improved on near enough the same team as last season.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What odds were Liverpool when the season started? Around 25s?
    Forum Member
    What odds were Liverpool when the season started? Around 25s?

33-1 I think!!!

If Spurs were to overtake Everton and City finish second, Chelsea third the top 7 would be identical to last season with 1st and 7th directly swapping places. Incredible
  • rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Has to be Suarez for me, this season he's been outstanding.