Options

Anyone used a Bluetooth mouse?

jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just bought a Lenovo g505s, and I've been setting it up using the touchpad - not easy.

The machine has Bluetooth 4.0, so I've been looking at Bluetooth mice. There are plenty on amazon, but most of the reviews mention frequent connection losses. Does anyone have any experience of them?

I have one USB 2 and two USB 3 ports, so an ordinary wireless mouse wouldn't be a problem.

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used a bluetooth Logitech mouse and keyboard a few years back, it was ok, but TBH, i do not think i would go back to a wireless mouse or keyboard for that matter.

Wired is less hassle,, you switch on the computer and it works, no mucking around when connection fails.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I used a bluetooth Logitech mouse and keyboard a few years back, it was ok, but TBH, i do not think i would go back to a wireless mouse or keyboard for that matter.

Wired is less hassle,, you switch on the computer and it works, no mucking around when connection fails.

Yes all of that and the battery going down ..... but the only experience of that was on my son's iMac.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batteries are shit in bluetooth mice.

wired allthe way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mouse was rechargeable, so batteries was not a problem.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I have a Logitech rechargeable wireless mouse (Li-ion batts.) on my desktop PC that’s had some serious use over many years; it’s still seems as good as the day I bought it.

It’s the type that sits in its own little charging cradle when not in use; I’ve never had it lose power once. The only time it gets charged is the few seconds when the PC is booted or shutdown when the mouse is in its cradle and not actually being used.

I bought a Bluetooth rechargeable mouse a while ago to use on my laptop (for certain applications) but it was a little problematic.

Once ‘connected’ the mouse was fine and the connection very stable. However, getting the initial ‘connection’ each time was real pain. So much so, that I eventually gave up using it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

I had wired mice for years, and was glad when I could use a wireless one. Presumably, a wired one would be connected via a USB socket?

I've also had a couple of Logitech mice - both ended up with the same problem, a sort of "stutter".

Bri - I didn't realise you had to pair the mouse each time you started up. I think I'll forget that idea.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I had wired mice for years, and was glad when I could use a wireless one. Presumably, a wired one would be connected via a USB socket?

I've also had a couple of Logitech mice - both ended up with the same problem, a sort of "stutter".

Bri - I didn't realise you had to pair the mouse each time you started up. I think I'll forget that idea.

No, you shouldn't have to pair it every time you start up. Just done once when you first introduce the mouse to the computer. Although you can have such problems if you use the mouse with more then one computer.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies.

Or maybe a green PS/2 socket on an older PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a brand new PC, no green PS/2 socket.

I'm actually becoming used to the trackpad, now I've adjusted some of the settings, and found out how to scroll. However, I'll get a wireless mouse, then I can switch Bluetooth off.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My dad's got one. He bought the Microsoft Arc mouse for his Surface. Seems to work ok except when the mouse runs out of batteries :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    Or maybe a green PS/2 socket on an older PC.
    It's a brand new PC, no green PS/2 socket.

A few new machines still have PS2 sockets, well desktops anyway. Laptops not so much

I'm actually becoming used to the trackpad, now I've adjusted some of the settings, and found out how to scroll. However, I'll get a wireless mouse, then I can switch Bluetooth off.

I am thinking of getting a touch pad, like what laptops have, get Corsair keyboard with nice Cherry red switch keys and no keypad and put a touch pad beside it.
    I can cope with them for normal use, playing the odd few games i will keep the mouse connected.
    i also want to get one of Shuttle, but the price is a little high, maybe i will get one later on this year if I can keep my over time going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It struck me, based on something someone said in another thread, that "tapping" the touch pad is over-complicating matters (especially since I reduced the sensitivity).

I can use the left and right buttons of the touchpad exactly as I would the buttons of a mouse.

So I'll be getting a mouse eventually, but at the moment I'm not having a problem doing without one.
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Logitech M557 lasts 6-9 months on 2 duracell AAs with a fair amount of daily usage.

If you do get a bluetooth mouse (Esp on W8) go into the bluetooth settings (via device manager) and turn off the setting "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power", otherwise the mouse frequently fails to respond for 2-3 seconds if left idle for more than a minute or two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had a couple of Logitech mice which suffered the same problem - after a while a metal strip inside bent slightly, and a click was produced twice. Which caused all sorts of problems, depending what was underneath the item you selected.

Thanks for the warning about the setting, though.
  • Options
    Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use this, absolutely brilliant. Best Microsoft peripheral I've come across.

Works on my Nexus 7 as well with no software to install.
  • Options
    sleepasleepa Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Y Me wrote: »
    I use this, absolutely brilliant. Best Microsoft peripheral I've come across.

Works on my Nexus 7 as well with no software to install.

It had better be brilliant for 69 squids :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    My wife and I work mostly from home and we have two laptops and a PC - all using cordless keyboards and mice. We have no issues at all and I for one could never go back to the clutter of corded peripherals. Over the years we have been through a few different devices - but this is mostly down to choice rather than any issues. Typically I find a keyboard will last over six months on a couple of AA batteries whilst a mouse will last maybe a couple of months - but I only use rechargeable batteries for these which do not last as well as alkaline anyway.
    I have Logitech devices on the laptops and a Silver Crest one on the PC which I got from Lidl for twenty quid a couple of years back all work perfectly and connect almost immediately the prof laptop is turned on. I also have another Logitech keyboard and mouse for my desk at my main office. The laptop as you would expect switches over seamlessly between the two different keyboards. Did not actually believe that people use anything else these days tbh.

You don't have to pay much for a good wireless desk top so I would say give it a go.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batteries are shit in bluetooth mice.

wired allthe way.

I have one of these http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/marathon-mouse-m705 the batteries lasts for many months with quite heavy use. I did have a Microsoft mouse which needed new batteries about every two to three weeks. Certainly the M705 is the best mouse I have ever owned and would certainly buy another one.