Secret of a good stew?

HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
Forum Member
✭✭
Whenever I make a stew(Beef is my fav, I've tried a few internet recipes) it always comes out rather bland and the meat 'chewy'..not at all like "Mum used to make". Is it just my age that it tastes bland, or does anyone have any really good, tasty stew recipes and ideas for the meat to prevent "chewiness"?...(I use stewing steak).
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Whenever I make a stew(Beef is my fav, I've tried a few internet recipes) it always comes out rather bland and the meat 'chewy'..not at all like "Mum used to make". Is it just my age that it tastes bland, or does anyone have any really good, tasty stew recipes and ideas for the meat to prevent "chewiness"?...(I use stewing steak).
    Thanks

How long do you cook it for? What's your basic recipe?
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    How long do you cook it for? What's your basic recipe?
    Stewing steak, a few small cubes of potato and some slices for the top, onion,carrots, stock cubes, bit of flour (base recipe)...Ive tried experimenting with adding different herbs, vegetables etc...
    I usually cook for about 3 hours on 180C.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy some umami paste. It makes all the difference. I put parsnip in mine, gives it a touch of sweetness. Handful of pearl barley too for one texture.
    Cook it low and slow. Slow cookers are great for this. You don't have to chew the meat after 6 hours on low setting.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The secret of a good stew (or curry) is that it's always better the next day after it has had the chance to mature in the fridge overnight.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Time, time and more time.

I made a mistake on Saturday - prepared the stew then left in the slow cooker on High instead of Low while we were out for 9 hours. More evaporation of the fluid than normal, but meat was melt in the mouth and all the flavours combined. Basically, one onion, sliced rather than chopped and browned off a bit. Stewing meat, carrots, a few cloves of garlic and a couple of Oxo cubes. No tinned tomatoes because we'd run out. Topped up with water, then left alone to cook for 9 hours.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks

Low and slow, is the secret.

Low heat and slow cooking.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-very-good-beef-stew-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-184050
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The secret of a good stew (or curry) is that it's always better the next day after it has had the chance to mature in the fridge overnight.

This - same for chillis too. The acids in the vegtables need time to break down the fibres in the meat so they aren't so tough. Also flavours will develop more when given time.
    I'm not sure actually cooking a stew for more than 2 hours is really achieving anything.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Stewing steak, a few small cubes of potato and some slices for the top, onion,carrots, stock cubes, bit of flour (base recipe)...Ive tried experimenting with adding different herbs, vegetables etc...

Based on that I reckon your meat might not be up to scratch.
    Forum Member

Much lower temperature (about 80-100C would be fine) and a few more hours.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Chilli is the same.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

You need to go lower and slower, that's why the meat is chewy. 130 to 140 for about four or five hours.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always add carrots and a stick of chopped celery as well as onions.

Get a cheapish cut as they work best- we get cubed brisket cut from out butcher really cheaply. Finest Casserole beef from Tesco is ok too. Then roast on a medium low temperature for ages - i.e 3 or 4 hours, maybe more until the beef falls apart.

Always used 2 Oxo beef cubes in the stock.

We always throw chopped garlic and a bay leaf in - as well as a bit of Worcester sauce and some tomato paste.

My mum used to fry the cubes of beef first, then for the last minute, put a level tablespoon of flour in the pan. The flour sticks to the beef - but then turns the strew thicker when cooked.

Always season.

:)
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most important is time. If it's still chewy, leave it in the oven for another 1/2 an hour, once the connective tissue that holds the meat together has 'melted', it will become tender. 180C is too high, too; chances are the liquid will evaporate before it's done. 140C should be enough. You don't mention salt in your recipe either.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Too high.
    Also I wouldn't be adding potatoes at the beginning. They'd be mush if I cooked them for 3 hours, especially as you've said small cubes.
    I'd put them in for the last 45/60 minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We never even put our stew in the fridge overnight :o
    Just let it rest on the cooker and added the dumplings next day. But yes resting was the way to let the meat tenderise, fridge or otherwise.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    Buy some umami paste. It makes all the difference. I put parsnip in mine, gives it a touch of sweetness. Handful of pearl barley too for one texture.
    Cook it low and slow. Slow cookers are great for this. You don't have to chew the meat after 6 hours on low setting.

I second that plus I'd recommend the herb rosemary for putting in stews. In addition, I'd suggest the use of cornflower or arrowroot for thickening stews.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I echo what's said above low and long. You need some steak with some good veining in it too imo. http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/thai-beef-soup-beef.png would make a much better stew than http://www.plumgarths.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/stew1.jpg for example.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anchovies!

Buy them in a little jar and add two or three, snipped up, to stews, gravy, soup and all sorts of savoury things. They will dissolve and vanish in the cooking, leaving a wonderful depth of flavour.

They are one of the "umami" flavours. Dried mushrooms are good too.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anchovies!

Buy them in a little jar and add two or three, snipped up, to stews, gravy, soup and all sorts of savoury things. They will dissolve and vanish in the cooking, leaving a wonderful depth of flavour.

They are one of the "umami" flavours. Dried mushrooms are good too.

Or marmite, particularly for beef recipes. I can't stand the stuff out of the jar, but a teaspoon or so mixed into stock really gives it some oomph.
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member

3 hours??? 3 HOURS???? You're in casserole territory there, Stew that puppy for 7-8 hours on a nice low temp.... Then reheat and eat the next day... Now that's a stew!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or marmite, particularly for beef recipes. I can't stand the stuff out of the jar, but a teaspoon or so mixed into stock really gives it some oomph.

HP sauce is the real secret ingredient. Bit don't tell anyone...
    Forum Member
    Bovril is much better than Marmite (but I might give the anchovies a go)
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

I always put Marmite in beef stew. It really helps to bring out the beefy flavour. I also always add a splash of Worcester sauce (to spag bol too), which is along the same lines as adding anchovies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    We had stew tonight. I put mine in the slow cooker with onion, carrots, spuds and parsnips. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, stock, a squeeze of tomato paste and season. I have made it with a bottle of red wine instead of the stock. Cook on low for about 8 hours.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always used my pressure cooker for stews/casseroles. A fraction of the time with the same result as cooking long and slow. (I'm a miser when it comes to spending money on electricity! ) I do agree though that stew is always better the second day.