Options

ZARA - Worst apology ever?

Comments

• Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    There, you go: destroying or extermination.

Is that translation from Zara, or is it just some random net user who's translated it?

You need to ask questions and critically evaluate these things. Don't just accept at face value.

Why dont you google it and look at the first thing that pops up
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm trying to be fair (and honest).

First thoughts on the shirt, if I was at a distance, i would probably think it was a star of David symbol, but I wouldn't have thought it was a concentration camp outfit. Seeing "sheriff" would probably confuse me, as it looks nothing like what I'd expect something from a "baby sheriff/cowboy" range to look like. It mostly looks like a bad excuse to put something tacky on something cheap and up the price. ;-)

As for the apology, I laughed. Sorry. :(
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, yellow star.... :eek:

But yes it's hooped, not striped.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was a ploy for attention.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Why dont you google it and look at the first thing that pops up

It means to exterminate, kill, eradicate, destroy. They said the shirts were going to be destroyed. What, exactly, is the problem with that. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    It means to exterminate, kill, eradicate, destroy. They said the shirts were going to be destroyed. What, exactly, is the problem with that. :confused:

That it was in response to complaints it resembled a concentration camp uniform and they said it doesn't exist in israel and they were going to remove them from shelves around the world and exterminate them.

I don't think they could have possibly worded it any worse. It's almost comical how bad it is.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP's trying to whip up some outrage about using the word 'exterminate' in response to the whole concentration camp uniform nonsense. Except it never happened.
    Yep.
    He'll probably target the Daleks next.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's almost comical how bad it is.
    Then chuckle and move on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then chuckle and move on.

No - because it is like this

http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/abercrombie.asp

But real and far, far worse.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill, as the saying goes. I think most people are seeing it for what it is, Nothing, Now if they advertised it as a Replica concentration camp outfit, It would be a different story :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're providing a link that actually debunks the claim as false..
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um....It doesn't even look like a concentration camp uniform. It looks like a stripy top with a golden Sheriff badge on it. I'm also failing to see what is so outrageous about saying the clothes will be destroyed.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    That it was in response to complaints it resembled a concentration camp uniform and they said it doesn't exist in israel and they were going to remove them from shelves around the world and exterminate them.

I don't think they could have possibly worded it any worse. It's almost comical how bad it is.

You are not getting it at all. The original apology, which came from the Israeli branch of Zara, was written in Hebrew. In Hebrew, the word for 'exterminate' is the same as the word for 'destroy'. When the original apology was translated into English (most likely by someone out to make mischief) the Hebrew word was mistranslated, so instead of 'destroy' they used 'exterminate'. Therefore the original apology was not at all controversial. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're providing a link that actually debunks the claim as false..

There are words under the link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are not getting it at all. The original apology, which came from the Israeli branch of Zara, was written in Hebrew. In Hebrew, the word for 'exterminate' is the same as the word for 'destroy'. When the original apology was translated into English (most likely by someone out to make mischief) the Hebrew word was mistranslated, so instead of 'destroy' they used 'exterminate'. Therefore the original apology was not at all controversial. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that!

I get it. You aren't.

The original word in Hebrew is commonly used to refer to the death camps and the wording of the rest apology puts it in that context.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are words under the link.
    I'm off out for a meal.
    I'll leave you to stew in your "outrage".

I asked you earlier what you want to happen .................
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's obviously a sheriffs badge (which even has "sheriff" written on it) and not a Star of David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm off out for a meal.
    I'll leave you to stew in your "outrage".

I asked you earlier what you want to happen .................

Make sure you read the words next to the price so you know what you are ordering.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It doesn't look like a Sheriff's shirt (apart from seeing the badge close-up).

And it doesn't look like a concentration camp shirt either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll just leave this here for people who missed their "apology"

http://imgur.com/EbHfXip
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it looks more like an old US prison system uniform - http://www.flickr.com/photos/spurmarks/2405182627/ Given that, I find it a bit strange that they whacked a sherriff's badge on it. It's a bit of a juxtaposition there.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more offended by how unashamedly shit that shirt was. Did they actually expect people to pay money for that? I've designed better shirts by throwing up on them.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Anyone offended by this is a f***ing idiot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I don't know what to think tbh. The comment is a little out of place but I wouldn't have immediately thought concentration camp if I saw that shirt.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I would have thought the complainers were overreacting a bit until I read about the swastika covered handbag sold by the same people.

Exactly what I thought. Maybe somebody is taking the piss.
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats sick...