Who Do you Think You Are? New Series

Comments

• valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the angry face:confused: Should he rewrite his history so as not to make you angry. Moreover it's all true. It would probably serve you will to read up on it before dismissing it & showing your ignorance. Best to avoid subjects you have no knowledge of.

From what I ascertain, the historians on the programme don't go in for altering a persons family ancestory / historty to appeal to the viewers.

Whenever we have anyone with Irish ancestry the story is always similar. I am fully aware of Irish history, but the English, Scots and Welsh peasants were also not treated any better by their aristocratic landlords, and famines existed in England too.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »
    I am a bit confused by some of the comments. There was nothing in the programme to suggest that she was unaware that Italy was an enemy country in WW2; it's just that she was unaware of the details of the internment camps on the isle of Man and elsewhere.

Oh, I assumed from the comments that I'd missed something, but I wasn't going to go back and re-watch the whole program to prove it one way of the other.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Whenever we have anyone with Irish ancestry the story is always similar. I am fully aware of Irish history, but the English, Scots and Welsh peasants were also not treated any better by their aristocratic landlords, and famines existed in England too.

Well imagine that, would that be because their Irish ancestory took in the famine years and therefore is part of their history. Sorry but you don't seem to comprehend the concept of the show, the past cannot be reqritten to make it more entertaining for the viewer.

As for famines in England, Scotland and Wales, nothing comparable to the Irish situation...but being knowledgeable about Irish history you would know that, right.;-)
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit confused by some of the comments. There was nothing in the programme to suggest that she was unaware that Italy was an enemy country in WW2; it's just that she was unaware of the details of the internment camps on the isle of Man and elsewhere.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that she didn't know that Mussolini had formed an alliance with Hitler, it's just that many are surprised that she didn't appear to know about the internment camps. I would have thought it was fairly common knowledge for someone of her age with Italian ancestry.
    But I've thought the same with other celebrities, surely some things crop up in everyday conversation when you are talking to older members of your family ? I think it's more likely that the celebrity has to "feign" surprise to make the programme more interesting for the viewer.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that she didn't know that Mussolini had formed an alliance with Hitler, it's just that many are surprised that she didn't appear to know about the internment camps. I would have thought it was fairly common knowledge for someone of her age with Italian ancestry.
    But I've thought the same with other celebrities, surely some things crop up in everyday conversation when you are talking to older members of your family ? I think it's more likely that the celebrity has to "feign" surprise to make the programme more interesting for the viewer.

Didn't this happen with Emilia Fox? "Oh, i never knew that" she said, but her website or wiki page clearly implied that it WASN'T new. Something, IIRC, to do with the theatre in Harrogate?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll have to put my hands up and admit that she never explicitly says she was unaware. It's about 9 minutes into the programme when she's talking to granny about her great grandad. The expression of confusion and shock she puts on when granny first starts talking about WWII led me to believe she was unaware that Italy was even on the other side. Mulling it over I'm now wondering whether she was just practicing her 'outrage at poor loyal grandad being interned' look a little too early. That's the trouble with actors, never sure when they are acting!
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well imagine that, would that be because their Irish ancestory took in the famine years and therefore is part of their history. Sorry but you don't seem to comprehend the concept of the show, the past cannot be reqritten to make it more entertaining for the viewer.

As for famines in England, Scotland and Wales, nothing comparable to the Irish situation...but being knowledgeable about Irish history you would know that, right.;-)

Of course, by always having it rammed down our throats by the Irish. Surely they could find other interesting things to research, for instance Chris Moyles Irish grandfather was killed in WW1 and that made a very interesting programme.
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Tamzin went to see her Grandmother and Grandma produced a copy of Tamzins Great Grandads birth certificate, the certificate is dated 19th June 2013, presumably when the research was carried out, the certificate must have then been presented to Tamzins Grandmother ready to show Tamzin!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    bloodynora wrote: »
    When Tamzin went to see her Grandmother and Grandma produced a copy of Tamzins Great Grandads birth certificate, the certificate is dated 19th June 2013, presumably when the research was carried out, the certificate must have then been presented to Tamzins Grandmother ready to show Tamzin!

Errm yes, I wouldn't think anyone would be surprised that the BBC and their researchers might obtain copies of some documents, if the family didn't have them or the condition wasn't good enough to be used on camera.
    The people featured do have to give the BBC clearance, it doesn't come out of the blue for them or family members.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave them a nice dossier of their research and the family tree all nicely produced too.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

You only have to compare the demographics to see what actually happened. The population of England in 1841 was 13m rising to 30m in 1901.

The population of Ireland in 1841 was 8m dropping to 5m in 1901, meaning the 19th century was a quite catastrophic period in it's history (when it was supposed to be an integral part of the UK).
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Errm yes, I wouldn't think anyone would be surprised that the BBC and their researchers might obtain copies of some documents, if the family didn't have them or the condition wasn't good enough to be used on camera.
    The people featured do have to give the BBC clearance, it doesn't come out of the blue for them or family members.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave them a nice dossier of their research and the family tree all nicely produced too.

For the life of me I cannot recall where I saw this, (Possibly BBC Breakfast??)
    I am fairly certain WDYTYA researchers start by looking in to the records of certain 'celebs', just general family tree research and then research each family member (looking at criminal/army and other records)
    If they uncover what they believe could be an interesting history they then approach the 'celeb' with what they have found, from there the actual programme you see is constructed.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think even people who help with subjects that are not used, receive a copy of the research. Some friends, whose tree I have researched, have a Grandparent who was step-brother of the Grandparent of a famous singer, some in that line received copies of the research.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked tonight's one.
    I cannot abide Mrs Brown; not at any price, but I thought Brendan O'Carroll came across really well. Seems like a lovely man. And he actually listened when he was being told things - which a lot of these celebs seem to find nigh on impossible - and it was a pretty interesting tale.
  • Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Fascinating stuff.

I don't usually enjoy so much when they concentrate on one person, but that was gripping. And how evil did Hardy look in that photo! Such cold eyes.
  • don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I found tonight's programme thoroughly tedious. It gave the impression that the British were the " baddies" while the IRA were angels. Sadly, there was as much violence on both sides and, of course, the IRA carried that violence forward for many years after the 1920s.
    How many more programmes must we have about Ireland and it's hardship? Surely the BBC can find more interesting people than O'Carroll!
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I found tonight's programme thoroughly tedious. It gave the impression that the British were the " baddies" while the IRA were angels. Sadly, there was as much violence on both sides and, of course, the IRA carried that violence forward for many years after the 1920s.
    How many more programmes must we have about Ireland and it's hardship? Surely the BBC can find more interesting people than O'Carroll!

The Black & Tans were indeed 'baddies' as you put it. You might want to read up on them, it's really quite fascinating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode!

I note that Jocelyn Hardy has had a Wikipedia page since 2012.
    It was updated earlier this evening, one minute before the show was broadcast.
    It now includes a reference to the murder of Peter O'Carroll.
    I suspect Brendan, or one of his family, must have updated the page.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

like you, perhaps?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if this will be shown on RTE ?
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    The Black & Tans were indeed 'baddies' as you put it. You might want to read up on them, it's really quite fascinating.

Exactly, this really is quite black and white issue. Look at Bloody Sunday number 1. Where the Black and Tans randomly opened fired on GAA players and fans just as a retaliation. Frankly you could find a plethora of Black and Tans crimes against civilians.

So people can stop with the revisionist jingoistic views of this period of time.
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think it was really a WDYTYA episode but it was an interesting programme in it's own right nonetheless. It's true that there have been several episodes on the subject of Ireland but I think this one was justified by it's uniqueness.

I hope next week we can go back to tracing the subject's family tree beyond the people they already know because I tend to enjoy those more.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think it was really a WDYTYA episode but it was an interesting programme in it's own right nonetheless. It's true that there have been several episodes on the subject of Ireland but I think this one was justified by it's uniqueness.

I hope next week we can go back to tracing the subject's family tree beyond the people they already know because I tend to enjoy those more.

Me too. It was a very interesting story tonight but, like you said it's better when they discover interesting things about family members they didn't know anything about.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. It was interesting but it shouldnt have been shown as part of the series. The fascinating thing about WDYTYA is when they find out about their ancestors whereas Brendan just wanted to find an answer about who mudered his grandfather.

Im struggling to find this series interesting.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Tonight's episode was definitely the best episode of this series by a long way. Fascinating story and I'm glad that Brendan got to a conclusion.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well the British were as you put it the baddies. Study some history.