University or Degree?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,762
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which is more important? The university you study at, or the actual degree?My A-levels results we're not great only two C's, but there are still courses I can apply some look really interesting.

I just don't want to waste time and money on a degree that's worthless because the university is a former polytechnic or the subject isn't academic enough.

I'm interested in doing Media and Cultural Studies or travel and tourism. And every one has advised against these subjects as it's harder to get a job against someone with a more academic degree but I want to do something that interests me enough to study it for 3/4 years though that I think I can do well in.

I think I want to go to university for the experience more than the actual degree as I'm really not sure what career I really want afterwards. I just think I'd like to Work in the Media / Travel industry. Maybe will do a TEFL course at a later stage.

I'm 19 now, I've had two gap years to think about what I want to do and I still don't know :( and at this point I think I should just go for it instead of having another year out, but then at 21 maybe I would have more choices.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    Do something you're going to enjoy and also enjoy the experience - if you had a compelling urge to train as a nuclear engineer or brain surgeon you'd know about it by now so you won't have the worry of regret. Just make sure you make the most out of the experience and you'll be fine.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Courses like the ones you describe tend to be more about demonstrating that you have the intelligence to get a degree, rather than much actual 'use', and you will find that you will always be asked about why you didn't go into Travel & Tourism or Media.

It may be worthwhile to take a year out and think a bit more about what sort of job you would like, rather than just doing a degree now for the sake of it. When you graduate, your year's experience may be a useful differentiator.

One other thing to bear in ind is that you are probably going to be in that zone where the bosses are going to be from around the time that Polys were allowed to call themselves Universities, and may look down on them more than others may, so I would probably try to get into a 'proper' Uni if I were you (though only having two C's may limit you a bit in that respect)
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always look for some interesting career and defer going to university for a couple of years, after working you may decide on another course which suits your career aspirations or interests.

Many universities look favourably on mature students and take into account things other than exam grades.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    You could always look for some interesting career and defer going to university for a couple of years, after working you may decide on another course which suits your career aspirations or interests.

Many universities look favourably on mature students and take into account things other than exam grades.

That's what I did. I'm 24 and spent a few years working in various sectors (NHS, Architectural - all very different). I decided to go to a Redbrick last September to commence on a degree. I'm glad I didn't go at 18, far too young.
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is more important? The university you study at, or the actual degree?My A-levels results we're not great only two C's, but there are still courses I can apply some look really interesting.

I just don't want to waste time and money on a degree that's worthless because the university is a former polytechnic or the subject isn't academic enough.

I'm interested in doing Media and Cultural Studies or travel and tourism. And every one has advised against these subjects as it's harder to get a job against someone with a more academic degree but I want to do something that interests me enough to study it for 3/4 years though that I think I can do well in.

I think I want to go to university for the experience more than the actual degree as I'm really not sure what career I really want afterwards. I just think I'd like to Work in the Media / Travel industry. Maybe will do a TEFL course at a later stage.

I'm 19 now, I've had two gap years to think about what I want to do and I still don't know :( and at this point I think I should just go for it instead of having another year out, but then at 21 maybe I would have more choices.

If you've already had two gap years to think about it, presumably you aren't sure about your choice of course.

As you could have taken A level resits in the last two years if the grades / University were the real issue.

To be honest I'm not sure either Travel and Tourism or Media and Cultural Studies is going to be a job winner. But if it's what you want then go for it - but I suspect you'll find all you'll do is get heavily in debt and still be applying for the same jobs as you would with your A levels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a degree in Media & Communications at a good University. It hasn't stopped me from getting a job, even though I'm working in a completely different area. Having a degree, whatever it is in, wherever you studied, is a good thing.

That said, if you have a degree in a less academic subject, from a less good institution, it isn't going to look as good on your CV as a degree in English from Cambridge. But there's not much you can do about that. However, you could pick a more academic subject and study at a less 'good' University, as people are always impressed by certain subjects (history, maths, English, nuclear physics etc :)), wherever it's from. But there's no point in doing something that doesn't interest you.

With two Cs you are going to be restricted and lots of Universities will have higher entry requirements than that, including the better polys. One option for you could be to take a year out and work, but do an A level evening class at the same time. Lots of places do language A levels as evening classes, and a language would be really useful if you're going to work in travel.

However, if I were you, I'd take a year out, and spend six months working (if you need to save up - if you're rich already you can skip this part!) and six months travelling. Perhaps do your TEFL course abroad. Maybe work in tourism in Australia. Perhaps do a short course in filmmaking in the US. For me going travelling completely change my outlook on what I wanted to do. Also if you have a productive year out it will go in your favour when applying for degree courses, particularly travel and tourism.

With regards to media, I think if you're really keen in going in to that area, know EXACTLY what it is you want to do career wise. It's a huge field, and there is a wide range of job roles. Do you want to be a picture researcher, or a camera operator, or an art director, or a radio producer? If you aren't 100% passionate about what you want to do, then you will be beaten to every job you apply for by someone who is (and they probably have an English degree from Cambridge too).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd say the course and the Uni are of about equal importance. I always said to myself that I wouldn't go to Uni if I couldn't do the subject I wanted to do at the Uni I wanted to go to. Luckily for me, I got the required grades to get into the course I wanted at the Uni I wanted, which also happens to be a Redbrick.

I don't think it's worth all the debt and tuition fees if it's not going to be worthwhile in the long term. They say on average that graduates earn more amount of money compared to non graduates over a lifetime, so in a sense a degree is worthwhile. However, I think it's likely that employers take the course and Uni into account alot nowadays, seeing as it's so competetive. Considering the job market at the moment, you need a bit of edge over the majority. However, some good work experience under your belt will be worthwhile too.

It's all about perspective. If I were you in this position now, I wouldn't make the financial commitment of going to Uni if I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to go and the degree would be worthwhile.

I'm just about to finish my last year at Uni (graduate in July) and finding a secure full-time job for when I finish has proved tough. I've already been unsuccesful in 2 popular graduate schemes which 1,000's of students apply for. I have just applied for 3 average paid jobs, all of which I could have applied for with just A-Levels... so bear that in mind!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blunt answer is if getting into £20,000 debt for a degree that will not guarantee you a decent job at the end of it is worth it then go for it.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to learn a language at evening school aswell as doing my degree. I study International Relations - hoping to work in diplomacy, teaching or translation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do go to a university that is not ranked that highly, it's usually best to do a course that is in demand or that is vocational. I think that with media especially, you would need to go to a top 20 institution in order to get your moneys worth. Travel and tourism is a good option if you are willing to do a TEFL course, like you mentioned or something similar. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to learn a language at evening school aswell as doing my degree. I study International Relations - hoping to work in diplomacy, teaching or translation.

Very good idea, I work in International Relations (not in anything remotely high up like diplomacy!) and language skills are a very definite plus. Have you considered working abroad or doing a study placement overseas? I did French to A Level (and got an A), but my language skills still aren't really up to it, I think living in the country for a while would be what I need to get good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Unless you're some real hotshot with a first from one of the red brick universities, by the time you've been in the working world for a year or so, the degree, and where you studied for it, counts for bugger all. I graduated in my first discipline 20 years ago and haven't once been asked to show my certificate or been asked about it.

I heard some new young guy at work the other day moaning to a new young woman "they asked me to do some filing hnnnghhh and I'm a graduate!" Big deal mate, I thought as I wandered past. We all are, only some of us have been in the working world a bit longer and have more experience. I probably get paid twice his salary, graduated twice and I do my own filing. Life ain't a bowl of roses.

Go and enjoy being at uni. Worry about the other shit later.