Moving to BT

Hope someone on here can help me. I am currently with Virgin and I am wanting to go back to BT.

I have received a number of flyers through the post offering me free re-connection but I have one obstacle. I live in a 3 storey house and my BT socket is on the ground floor and I need the socket on the top floor. I have tubes running up the inside of the wall which is meant to allow the phone line to be extended but there is a blockage in the tube.

Can I get a new line put into my house under the free reconnection offer?

Comments

• AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bald1 wrote: »
    Hope someone on here can help me. I am currently with Virgin and I am wanting to go back to BT.

I have received a number of flyers through the post offering me free re-connection but I have one obstacle. I live in a 3 storey house and my BT socket is on the ground floor and I need the socket on the top floor. I have tubes running up the inside of the wall which is meant to allow the phone line to be extended but there is a blockage in the tube.

Can I get a new line put into my house under the free reconnection offer?

I'd say that a free reconnection means that BT do a test and if everything's in working order and they can 'see' your master socket, they simply switch everything on again. If an engineer needs to come to the house for any reason, I imagine they'd be wanting to charge for the visit.
  • Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Well it says the reconnection is worth upto £126.00 which I believe is the same price as a brand new line so I cant see how it would make alot of difference whether I get my line reconnected or a new line put in. I wantt to go back to BT but I dont want to have a phone line on the bottom floor so the only options would be to get BT in to try and get a wire up the tube or have a new line put in.

I did send an email to BT and eventually got a call back from one of there off shore call centres and in the same conversation I was told I could get a new line with this offer and then I couldn't??????
  • BT SupportBT Support Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Hey Bald1,

When BT installs a master socket to your house the master socket must be located 3 meters from the front door. If you wish to have a socket put upstairs this would have to be done as an extension. If you took up the connection charge offer BT will cover the cost of installing the master socket for you, however you would need to pay for the extension socket to be fitted upstairs. The additional cost of this would be £70.

Conan
    BT Support
  • Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Oh well, guess I am stuck with Virgin then. Thanks for your help with this Conan.
  • craigEcraigE Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    You may be entitled to get a free extension as part of the deal, or, the engineer could "hook up" your existing virgin line for free if its close enough to the BT cable. This is a little unknown "offer" which has been going on for years and may be still available.