funding cuts for British swimming confirmed

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
London 2012 Olympics: British swimming to take funding cut after performance level sinks in Aquatics Centre

British swimming is braced for comprehensive coaching reform and a serious cut in its funding after underachieving at the Olympics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/swimming/9465270/London-2012-Olympics-British-swimming-to-take-funding-cut-after-performance-level-sinks-in-Aquatics-Centre.html

Comments

• Mark FMark F Posts: 53,975
    Forum Member
    Is this going to help in reality?

Surely means less chance to train young potential to Olympic standard?
  • Jakatta75Jakatta75 Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    One of the most stupid decisions I've heard.

How can they improve if the funding is cut?
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Good, give it to the gymnasts or a sport worth investing in, ie Handball/Field Hockey
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »

Surely its more an admission that simply throwing money at our swimmers just hasnt worked?.

Other disciplines have reformed and reaped the success at these games, now its time for swimming to do the same....
  • zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    So will we see funding increased for all those sports that got Gold?
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Talk about misleading topic titles, there is nothing confirmed at all about cuts, its just a piece of speculation. Shame on the OP for such a misleading melodramatic title
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's all about working within "the realms of the possible."

Unless things are geared up to bring on young swimmers from an early age with real potential, then it's a waste of time.
    If in any sport you are going to throw money at "the best we have" then it's doomed to failure. Funding should be used as a reward not as a carrot.
  • NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Surely its more an admission that simply throwing money at our swimmers just hasnt worked?.

Other disciplines have reformed and reaped the success at these games, now its time for swimming to do the same....

Listening to the women on BBC she said that this was brought in as money was not being spent wisely. Apparently gymnastics funding was cut after Athens & it led to a radical rethink of how they went about it. She said they regrouped & look what has happened. Increased funding will now go into the gymnastics.

If only the same rigours could apply to Govt departmental spending. The only measure seems to be how much they can fritter away!!!
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    according to an interview on bbc 1 nothing has been decided re swimming
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) the article is speculating and doesn't actually say any decision has been made

2) the chairman of Sport UK was the TV about half an hour ago and said the discussions with individual sports and decisions on funding will not be made for another couple of months

But aside from that....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    according to an interview on bbc 1 nothing has been decided re swimming

You weren't listening to what was said then. She said final decisions hadn't been made & a review would take place BUT then went on to talk about how money was dependent on results. She specifically then cited how funding for gymnastics had been cut after Athens based on their results. The message was loud & clear!!
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Would be less acheivement in swimming actually be a bad thing?

You cant win in every sport, and there are easier sports to focus on like rowing, cycling and sailing. In swimming you are up against the might of China and USA for whom its a massive priority and you'll never beat them on any grand scale. Stick to sports like the 3 above, where China, Russia and USA dont focus, and you'll get the results. Its the same reason why GB should abandon track sprinting, its a bottomless black hole of money you'll never conquer
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I expect Judo to get more funding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »

The trouble is that team GBs funding is set at an amount that in reality is going to fall due to inflation. so some sports have to lose money, if some are going to gain after the Olympics (Boxing, Judy, Gymnastics).

The trouble with the argument that less money means less success, is that its based on the assumption that money is the only issue.

As many have said we have done well generally in the swimming world championships recently, just not at the games, and that we didnt see any young up and comers in the tea. This suggests that the problem is not money, but maybe coaching or internal issues, which no institute is seriously going to look at themselves and make changes until they are forced to.

Watching the BBC interview was quite interesting, she basically confirmed that Swimming would see a funding cut, however, she brought up gymnastics which saw a funding cut a couple of years ago, because they just didnt have the talent pool for the funding they had, and see what happened. Isnt it only right that after getting their funding cut, making progress, and beating their target, they get a reward for that eg more funding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    I expect Judo to get more funding.

I agree. Women on BBC specifically said one of the major achievements was the success across a wider no. of sports than Bejing & she wants that to continue. Funding is obviously going to be taken from swimming & given to these sports. Head of Boxing was sat next to her this afternoon & he has put in his bid for more!!!
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Good.

Swimming has under-performed.

Give the money to more deserving disciplines - Gymnastics, Taekwondo, etc.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    Talk about misleading topic titles, there is nothing confirmed at all about cuts, its just a piece of speculation. Shame on the OP for such a misleading melodramatic title

Yep, again. All speculation, no facts.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a final decision will be made in December..
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Yep, again. All speculation, no facts.

Why should swimming continue to get funding? They bombed massively.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swimming gets the 3rd most funding of all UK sport yet the results haven't matched it.

Changes were always going to happen but I am not sure cutting money is the answer. The problem has to lay within the coaching and training programmes. Get that right and the results will come in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WLB wrote: »
    As many have said we have done well generally in the swimming world championships recently, just not at the games, and that we didnt see any young up and comers in the tea. This suggests that the problem is not money, but maybe coaching or internal issues, which no institute is seriously going to look at themselves and make changes until they are forced to.

Watching the BBC interview was quite interesting, she basically confirmed that Swimming would see a funding cut, however, she brought up gymnastics which saw a funding cut a couple of years ago, because they just didnt have the talent pool for the funding they had, and see what happened. Isnt it only right that after getting their funding cut, making progress, and beating their target, they get a reward for that eg more funding.

I agree. She seemed to be more relaxed about the athletics as they have made great strides in sorting out under-performance. ie: work in progress. Swimming didn't appear to fit that category.
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Why should swimming continue to get funding? They bombed massively.

When did I say they should get funding :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swimming gets the 3rd most funding of all UK sport yet the results haven't matched it.

Changes were always going to happen but I am not sure cutting money is the answer. The problem has to lay within the coaching and training programmes. Get that right and the results will come in.

Throwing money at it isn't the answer either. Clearly it is time to take a step back & do a root & branches review. Less cash while this is going on.
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    When did I say they should get funding :confused:

The slight bias in your posts related to it.
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    The slight bias in your posts related to it.

If you say so.

I'm just asking for facts, not speculation, and I would ask the same if we were talking about say, Judo.

Its like me starting a thread called:
    "funding cuts for British Judo confirmed"

And linking to a article full of speculation and no facts.