Options

Computer into viera no sound through surround sound

I've a Panasonic viera with panasonic surround sound , i've plugged the computer into the telly to play a film off the computer on the tv but, i can only hear the audio of the film if i turn off the surround sound and it comes through the tv speakers which i dont want , i want it through the surround sound .
if i turn on the surround sound the film still plays but i get the sound from the tv channel the tv was set to before switching the AV to 'computer'
The computer is connected via a 9 pin plug with a RBG cable and the sound is with a cable plugging into the headfones socket on the puter and sound 'in' on the back of the telly ..
Now , the sound cable 'should' be ( following the colour socket on the back of the tv) red + white but i'm using a red + yellow cable .. but, surely this cant be the problem ?
So if it's not the cable how can i get sound through the surround sound ?

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need an audio feed directly to the surround sound box from the PC. The audio in on the TV is either not associated with the PC input or the TV doesn't pass through analogue audio fullstop.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is the surround system plugged to the telly?

I would suspect that it is using SCART and the audio from the TV is being fed back down the SCART lead to the surround system. The fact you get sound from the TV tuner only does strongly indicate this is how it's working.

It is common for the TV tuner to be fed to the output pins on one of the TV SCART sockets. If you are lucky there is a setting in the menu of the TV somewhere to change what gets fed from the SCART output. There may be an option to change it to whatever source is selected on the TV which would then mean the sound heard on the surround system always matches what comes out of the TV speakers.

If there is no such option then the only solution may be to connect the sound from the laptop to the surround system not the TV. That requires an AUX or LINE IN socket on the Surround system that you can select via the remote.