Is anyone still buying ready meals?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking news, Broccoli contains Penguin meat.

Aaaaargh!!! :eek::eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't understand why people buy 99p pizzas or shepherds pies or whatever - and then complain when they find out what's actually in it. At that price, it's bound to be full of bull's balls and alsorts a, crud! :eek:
  • j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is iceland's frozen mince meat has horse meat in it? I have one in my freeza.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Yup. I had one of the affected Aldi lasagnes and I'm still here.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4the1 wrote: »

Iceland's frozen mince is very stable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    j4the1 wrote: »

Again, Iceland have already announced that none of their other own brand products still on sale have been found to contain horsemeat.

So I think your mince probably isn't going to neigh at you when you open the packet. :D
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it all could be a lot worse!

It could be Soylent Green.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so hungry i could eat a horse.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    If it says on the packet that it got 100% British beef, then legally that is what it is suppose to have.

True, very true. but so many people can't be bothered these days and to be honest I am no better. i got nothing against horse meat, but if they are going to put it in our food then let us know.

That's my argument as well. I've eaten horse meat (while in France) and although it would never be a first choice for me, I want to know if it's in the products I'm buying. Fortunately we've never really been into buying ready meals, I tend to cook from scratch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but it might have horse meat in it........ don't care
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely buy ready meals, they are full of salt and sugar and are poor value. Quite horsey in fact.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acker wrote: »
    I knew the neigghh sayers would be along . :p...I had a value curry and chips ready meal the other night ....quid. Sod all wrong with it .

And acker is has just passed the finishing line......odds on favourite to win at Haydock.:D
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I'm so hungry i could eat a horse.

Don't tell Clare Balding that, she have heart failure.:eek:
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I think it depends what you mean by 'ready meal'. I would still happily buy the M&S meal for two for £10, for instance. But I wouldn't (and have never really) bought a £1.99 lasagne that you microwave. Sounds a bit snobby probably but there you go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend not to buy them in the first place though in this day and age we often have the cheek to call a lot of processed food 'made from scratch' such as adding sauces to pastas etc.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    I still buy ready meals, in the supermarkets most of them don't have horse meat and those that have are being thrown out.

It was quiet around the ready meals section in my local Sainsburys last night. I do feel that a lot of people make more of a drama out of this than should be, they get sucked in by the media.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Never really bought them, bar the odd Chicken Pathia or Macaroni Cheese if I haven't got anything for lunch at work.

Not really concerned about either possibly containing horse, I think the different between chicken and horse is pretty obvious!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Never been a big ready meal fan and around a year ago someone told me to read up on msg, since then I've tried to become very strict on trying to cut these products out, so when the horse meat scandal came up I didn't really have to change my outlook
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    I rarely buy ready meals, they are full of salt and sugar and are poor value. Quite horsey in fact.

Two large meat pies 2 for £5 in Asda. (I get one beef and one chicken - each cut in half does 4 meals)

Also in Asda:
    The Stewing Stake to make one meat pie £4
    Add premade puff pastry £1
    So that's already at £5 just for the meat and the pastry without any other ingredients to make just ONE pie leave alone two!

If someone with realistic prices can tell me how to make a large meat pie for just £2.50, I'd be happy to make one.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to make all these things and pop in the local butchers to by all my meat, but I can afford their prices. (Or even the prices of meat at the supermarket!) All the news items just gloss over this with glib little adages like "Oh they are of course a bit more expensive" - When you are on a budget something being actually double the price means you either go without it or HAVE TO buy the one that is half the price.

The news and many others seem to treat everyone as if money was no object.
  • jackpot69jackpot69 Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    kolakoala wrote: »
    I have never been a fan of them, and don't buy them. Great if others do - but are you still buying them now?

I have been put off buying them now, the only one I will continue to buy is the Youngs Fish Pie which is frozen.

And I may continue to buy the Pukka pies chicken and mushroom, but apart from that I'm increasing my buying habits for fresh fruit and veg pref British ones.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll still buy them, but only from M&S.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two large meat pies 2 for £5 in Asda. (I get one beef and one chicken - each cut in half does 4 meals)

Also in Asda:
    So that's already at £5 just for the meat and the pastry without any other ingredients to make just ONE pie leave alone two!

If someone with realistic prices can tell me how to make a large meat pie for just £2.50, I'd be happy to make one.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to make all these things and pop in the local butchers to by all my meat, but I can afford their prices. (Or even the prices of meat at the supermarket!) All the news items just gloss over this with glib little adages like "Oh they are of course a bit more expensive" - When you are on a budget something being actually double the price means you either go without it or HAVE TO buy the one that is half the price.

The news and many others seem to treat everyone as if money was no object.

'Cheap food' is a myth. What could possibly be more important than what you put into your body? I only buy meat from one particular local butcher and haven't had a ready meal in about 15 years. I can buy a large chicken and get dinner for Sunday and Monday for all of us. I can cook a few chicken fillets at the weekend and use them for school lunches until Wednesday. I can get a pound of steak mince and make a lasagne that will do the family for two days. A good size roast joint, hot and cold, can last half the week.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Cheap food' is a myth. What could possibly be more important than what you put into your body? I only buy meat from one particular local butcher and haven't had a ready meal in about 15 years. I can buy a large chicken and get dinner for Sunday and Monday for all of us. I can cook a few chicken fillets at the weekend and use them for school lunches until Wednesday. I can get a pound of steak mince and make a lasagne that will do the family for two days. A good size roast joint, hot and cold, can last half the week.

You want to eat the same thing for 4 days in a row?

As I have pointed out it's not a question of what I want or should be putting in my body, if the meat is too expensive, I can't afford it. I don't get a choice.

And it's no myth: I have clearly shown by the example above that to make what I currently buy would cost over twice as much.

How the other half live!
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also in Asda:

If someone with realistic prices can tell me how to make a large meat pie for just £2.50, I'd be happy to make one..

Strikes me that four quidsworth of stewing steak is far, far more than ever goes into any sort of supermarket premade pie. What was the weight of that packet of meat?