The big "who to spend Christmas with" dilemma

Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
Forum Member
I think we all know the situation I'm talking about. My partner, who by this point I'll have lived with for 6 months and been with for two and a half years, and I both have families to visit and neither of them live anywhere near each other. This, of course, is a problem.

The problem is compounded by the fact that I have spent every Christmas Day of my life entirely with my parents and sister, including waking up in the morning and going to bed at night. We are an incredibly close family and moving out has been emotional enough. The idea of not having a traditional Christmas would wrack me with guilt and sadness and would probably break my parents' hearts on the day you want to do that the least.

On the other hand, it would be incredibly weird and truly upsetting to have Christmas Day be the only day of the year where I don't wake up next to my boyfriend. He means everything to me and I seriously can't come to terms with the idea of spending Christmas apart from him. The third option is to have him stay with me, which I think he would have mixed feelings about to say the least. He would love being with me in my house, no question. But he would hate being apart from his whole family. Last year we both stayed with our families and his family came round to ours for a few hours in the afternoon. It worked fine, but now we live together it's not really an option to spend Christmas apart. The tricky bit is working out between us who to let down.

Thoughts?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - alternate Xmas's with your families. Flip a coin to see where you go this year and alternate going forward.
  • Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on what you have written, I'd suggest letting your Boyfriend go to his own family in the morning and you yours. Then one of you join the other in the afternoon.

Neither option will satisfy you completely, but you are going to have to compromise and this option seems like the equal middle option.
  • RachaleRachale Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I agree with Orangebird, alternating is the only fair way (unless you have both families over at yours but this may not be feasible).
  • Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Christmas with one family New Year with the other and agree to swap over the following year. My family always used to do did this with no problems.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Day with one family & Boxing Day with other family, than change it around the following year. Alternatively why not look at booking a hotel for a couple of nights, equal distance between families and all meet up, or if not a hotel what about looking at renting a cottage somewhere for a few nights.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternating is the only fair option really.

We always spend Crimbo day with our own families but our parents live about 3 minutes from each other so we have dinner at our parents then OH will come to my folks for a few hours and we'll end the night at his parents (or vice versa)

Now we have a baby we're doing alternate Crimbo's and it's my turn at the in-laws this year but we'll go round to see my folks for a few hours in the morning!
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Roni_J wrote: »
    How about Christmas with one family New Year with the other and agree to swap over the following year. My family always used to do did this with no problems.

That sounds like a very good idea. I'm very tired of family New Years anyway because my aunty hosts a huge party that goes on until daylight and the novelty wore off years ago as it just leaves me feeling wretched for days and I'm not big on long nights drinking. I don't think anyone would mind if I gave that a miss for a nice quiet New Year's with my boyfriend and his family. :)

I'm still not quite sure whether he would be okay spending most of Christmas Day away from his family though. We'll have to see. I'll try this, thanks! :)
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Why not spend it with just the two of you and see the families later in the week. Maybe even go away somewhere you can be mollycoddled and don't have to do cooking or washing up? In 13 years of marriage, neither of us had gone home to parents for xmas, we've usually been abroad. The most stressful was when we had both sets of parents staying with us and we could have killed after 2 days.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Why not spend it with just the two of you and see the families later in the week. Maybe even go away somewhere you can be mollycoddled and don't have to do cooking or washing up? In 13 years of marriage, neither of us had gone home to parents for xmas, we've usually been abroad. The most stressful was when we had both sets of parents staying with us and we could have killed after 2 days.

Well for one our finances wouldn't really allow that, and secondly that's not really us! Cooking and all the chaos round the house is part of the fun for both of us. :)
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I've lived within walking distance from his parents we've been expected to go there every year, with no thought to my family, and I am an only child.

This year I have it sorted that they are coming here to stay on xmas night for a drink, as I now live in a 3 bed house - before that it was a 1 bed flat.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, as suggested the best way is Christmas Day with one set of parents and New Years with the other, then swap next year. This is what we do and we're married with kids!

This is going to be an issue every year, so set the ground rules now and stick to them. You're a grown up now with your own life (presumably) so your parents can't realistically expect you to spend every single Christmas with them.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about stay at YOUR home and enjoy a christmas morning as a couple?
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to go for a one-sided perspective here for once and say, just spend it with your families! You live with your boyfriend full time, and you don't live with them, so it might be nice to give them sure pure you-time.

One thing to remember is that each families Christmas is a law unto itself - I'd hate to go the my OH's familiy for Christmas because it is completely different to how my family like to spend their day.

I'm also against moving around during the day, unless it's just a few streets away - nothing to take the fun out of the day like hours on a motorway.

My boyfriend and I spend Christmas separately with our families - eventually we will spend one together, but trust me, it's not a big deal to spend one apart. We then pick a day at some point before New Year and have our own private Christmas day, where we open presents, have a roast, watch Christmassy telly etc. I actually used to do this with some close friends as well - my sister and her boyfriend, and my best friend and her boyfriend (the two boyfriends were brothers). It makes it all the more lovely to have several Christmasses over the month.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    We spend Christmas day with my family. Well he has worked every Christmas day for the past 8 years, be it day shift when he gets home at 7pm or night shift when he gets home at 7am goes to bed gets up for lunch and then goes to work so it's logical really as they are in the same town and his Mum is about 45 minutes away. My Mum asked last year whether his Mum minded him never being there Christmas day and he said she would mind more if we were there as it would interfere with her day.

He has this Christmas off which will be nice. No 5am wake ups or rushing off after dinner. And we can go home and have the evening to ourselves.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    How about stay at YOUR home and enjoy a christmas morning as a couple?

Or even better, go on holiday for Christmas leaving all of the family hassles behind you. Spend the time skiing, on the beach, climbing mountains or doing whatever you want.
  • joan13joan13 Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had this problem every year so this year we have booked Christmas day and boxing day at a local hotel and told both sets of parents that they can book to join us if they wished

saves all the hassle and leaves the decision up to them :)
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this problem with my ex-husband because both of us want to spend Christmas with our daughter, but neither of us can stand each other's families (the two sets of families also live in different countries) so it causes MAJOR arguments each Christmas. So far, I have always won the argument :o and spent Christmas with my daughter, but I'm expecting trouble this year again...
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    I have this problem with my ex-husband because both of us want to spend Christmas with our daughter, but neither of us can stand each other's families (the two sets of families also live in different countries) so it causes MAJOR arguments each Christmas. So far, I have always won the argument :o and spent Christmas with my daughter, but I'm expecting trouble this year again...

Time to be gracious and let him spend xmas with his daughter for once.
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    We used to spend Christmas morning together, go to our own parent's houses for christmas dinner and then go to my partner's parents' house for the evening, for 3 years after we moved in together. Last Christmas we had dinner at home and spent most of the day there because we have our son now so we do our own family christmas, my parent's pop in for an hour, we visit my sister who lives down the road and then we visit his family.

Why not do christmas at home and ask your families to visit you, or arrange to spend half the day at each and alternate who you have christmas dinner with each year?
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I've lived within walking distance from his parents we've been expected to go there every year, with no thought to my family, and I am an only child.

This year I have it sorted that they are coming here to stay on xmas night for a drink, as I now live in a 3 bed house - before that it was a 1 bed flat.

Quoting myself, but I mean my parents are coming, his can away and jump.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »

Your poor ex-husband.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find these kind of threads interesting as no one in my family would be bothered about who is spending where on Christmas day. I mean what, you turn up, open presents, watch tv together for a bit, eat dinner, then watch tv for a bit more, then eat tea, then go home. It's not a big deal for us. Last year I went away for the entire Christmas period by myself and it was great to avoid all the hype.

I couldn't bare to be part of one of those families where you spend weeks and hundreds (even thousands) of pounds preparing for one day of the year. I'd rather enjoy every day :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to be gracious and let him spend xmas with his daughter for once.

This year my family might be coming over for Christmas, so we might have Christmas eve at our house and I'll allow my daughter to go to his house for Christmas day. However, having spent 2 Christmases at his parents' house, I know that the way they spend the day is nothing like my family's Christmas (i.e. the men in their house get completely drunk and the women spend all day cooking and cleaning - not exactly fun for kids!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your poor ex-husband.

It's my responsibility to protect my daughter's interests and knowing my ex-husband's family as I do, it's not a very child-friendly environment, especially during Christmas.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Op i know your problem all too well! When i met my partner we spend our first few xmases alone, as i was with my family as he was with his. One year i got invited to his nanas for xmas lunch amd ever since then it was expected i would go there with him. When we moved in together i was looking forward to spending xmases at our house, having family visit. (Usually my partner was expected to drive round the county visiting everyone. He would be at his mums for a few hours, then pop in to mine for an hour, then go to his dads and then drive his dad and step mum to his nans where they would spend the afternoon and evening.) he could never relax because he was constantly checking the time so he wasnt late getting to the next place.

As soon as we moved in we invited his nan, grandad, dad and step mum round for xmas dinner but his nan threw a strop because she always cooks xmas dinner. A few weeks later she was told by the doctor that she was terminally ill and had 6 months to live. So we went to hers for xmas because she wanted one last big family xmas. This continued for the next two christmasses. Every year we wanted to stay home but she would ring my oh crying about how it would be her last xmas so every time we gave in.

Im struggling with it because my grandparents always visited my parents for xmas and i never saw them xmas day because i was at ohs nans house and so i missed the big xmas get together with my grandparents, which last year was the last since my nan died unexpectedly. I feel angry that i never saw my family.

This year i want to spend my first full xmas day in my house. The problem is i dont know how to do it without looking like a bitch! We always get invited to partners mums xmas eve to sleep over, but i dont feel comfortable staying there with our dog so i would rather stay home. (Last year i stayed home while my partner went). I would also rather be at home all day but it looks bad since i dont have other plans!