Options

Curse of The Inbetweeners?

Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
Forum Member
Something popped into my head recently, and have noticed that since The Inbetweeners finished in 2010, virtually each of the four main actors have failed with being in other programmes.

The one's who play Simon and Will were in "Chickens" which flopped on SKY with some inbred posh bloke. Will was also in "Friday Night Dinner" which wasn't any cop either.

Jay was in "Rock and Chips" - which in my eyes, was rather good and should have given it a chance. I haven't see him in anything else.

Add to that, the actor who plays Neil had his comedy "Way To Go" cancelled on BBC3 after one series, and to be fair was painfully unfunny. I have seen in a few other things, which didn't do too well.

I know there is second film coming out, but why not another series? We could have had them at uni or now setlling down? I think Channel 4 should pay the writers and the cast a huge fortune to bring this back. Surely cheap shite like "Gogglebox" doesn't cost anything, so blowing the budget wouldn't hurt.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    playa1playa1 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil also had a part in 'The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret' which was pretty good I thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they have been busy filming inbetweeners 2 in Australia so being in something else would of been pretty hard
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edge of Heaven was all right.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the guy that plays Jay the voice of the seagull in the Hastings Direct advert? :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    they have been busy filming inbetweeners 2 in Australia so being in something else would of been pretty hard

I am aware of that, but surely another series after the film? I miss the days when comedy series used to have 5+ series.
  • Options
    rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Friday Night Dinner has a third series, I wouldn't say thats a failure.
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fresh Meat with Simon in has been a big hit and I agree Friday Night Dinner was a grower, the best though has been The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret with Neil which got put on at a crap time so not many people saw it, very funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rory r wrote: »
    Friday Night Dinner has a third series, I wouldn't say thats a failure.

Erm....how? It's not even funny.
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »

To be fair I did think it was dreadful to begin with then for some reason it just started to be funny, mainly due to the dad though not Simon Bird.

Bit of a marmite comedy I guess this one, loads of people hated it.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Friday Night Dinner, although do think it was inspired by the superior Grandma's House.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member

Well as someone else said, it's got a 3rd series so obviously channel 4 don't consider it a failure and the ratings must therefore be decent too so plenty of others liked it, even if you didn't.

Most of them seem to be doing bits and pieces, even the girls from the film, so I wouldn't say it was cursed but it was always going to he hard to beat The Inbetweeners.

I actually liked Chickens too although most don't seem too, it was a bit of a grower, similarly to to FND.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think a third Inbetweeners series would be a good idea, best leave it where it is.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think a third Inbetweeners series would be a good idea, best leave it where it is.

I'd prefer it to another film version.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I love Friday Night Dinner! Can't wait for series 3.

Rock & Chips was ok but there will be no more because John Sullivan died.

Edge of Heaven was OK.

'Simon' was also in Fresh Meat which continues to be brilliant.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil was in one of the Bleak Old Shop of Stuff episodes, parodying Smike from Nicholas Nickleby.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aren't they a bit old for that now? :confused:
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought Chickens was pretty good. I don't think it'll get another series but it wasn't that bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer it to another film version.

I didn't enjoy the film very much so I suppose I would too, but I still don't think it would be the best idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too late - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inbetweeners#Series_3 :p
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, you can find out because there WAS a third series!
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am aware of that, but surely another series after the film? I miss the days when comedy series used to have 5+ series.
    May I ask which ones you miss?

Only you were born in 1984 and whilst you could have caught the tail ends of such long running shows as Are You Being Served (10 series) and Allo Allo (9 series) you would have had to get into TV comedies quite young.

For many years now comedy shows lasting two or three series has been the norm (The Office, Dinnerladies, Black Books, The IT Crowd, Early Doors and so on). There have of course been a few exceptions though not a huge number. It certainly hasn't been the norm for maybe 20 years or so of your 29 years. :p

And whilst I could understand you missing another one like Peep Show I don't think harking for more My Family, My Hero or Last of the Summer Wine is to be encouraged. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »

Only you were born in 1984 and whilst you could have caught the tail ends of such long running shows as Are You Being Served and Allo Allo you would have had to get into TV comedies quite young.

For many years now comedy shows lasting two or three series has been the norm (The Office, Dinnerladies, Black Books, The IT Crowd, Early Doors and so on). There have of course been a few exceptions though not a huge number. It certainly hasn't been the norm for maybe 20 years or so of your 29 years. :p

And whilst I could understand you missing another one like Peep Show I don't think harking for more My Family or My Hero is to be encouraged. :D

"Keeping Up Apperances", "Ab Fab", "Birds of a Feather", "Him and Her" to name but a few. I like a lot of 80s/90s TV and just because I am 29 nowt wrong with liking some nostalgia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked Friday Night Dinner and I didn't think it did too badly. James (Jay) was great in Rock and Chips I think he just needs the parts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    Well, you can find out because there WAS a third series!

Fourth then :p
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »

Only you were born in 1984 and whilst you could have caught the tail ends of such long running shows as Are You Being Served (10 series) and Allo Allo (9 series) you would have had to get into TV comedies quite young.

And whilst I could understand you missing another one like Peep Show I don't think harking for more My Family, My Hero or Last of the Summer Wine is to be encouraged. :D

4 series and a special, Just to be picky :P