Sharing the leaked scripts on the forum

SupportSupport Posts: 70,750
Administrator
Hi all,

While we appreciate you're all excited for the new series, asking for download links through the forum (and this includes the Private Messaging system) is not something we can allow - aside from the fact this content isn't actually meant to be public material, it ruins the enjoyment for everyone.

If you come across a thread or post asking for links to the leaked scripts, or to be PMed a link, please alert it so that we can remove it.

Thanks!

[highlight]EDIT:[/highlight] Discussion of knowledge gained from the leaked episode or scripts is also not permitted.

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Thank you!
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And for those that have read them, be careful with the spoilers. I'm sure this subforum will be busy with users wanting to talk about the show once the new series begins, and it would be nice if those who already know what happens next, can keep a lid on it.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lii wrote: »
    And for those that have read them, be careful with the spoilers. I'm sure this subforum will be busy with users wanting to talk about the show once the new series begins, and it would be nice if those who already know what happens next, can keep a lid on it.

Apparently they weren't the finalised scripts. They were draft copies that had been written before filming on each episode had been started. So I've read online.

I haven't actually seen the scripts. I tried to find them yesterday, but to no avail. They must've been taken off the internet before I could see them.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Apparently they weren't the finalised scripts. They were draft copies that had been written before filming on each episode had been started. So I've read online.

Episode 4 has been verified as the final copy. That's all I know.

Just to ensure that nobody reads them on the basis of not being representative of the final script...
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite right to!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think all traces of them have been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »

Nah, they're still pretty easily accessible. Once they're up on the Internet there's little chance of removing them altogether.
  • John_Smith62John_Smith62 Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »

They're gone from the main file sharing sites, but the people who downloaded them earlier in the week still have them - and as long as they do the scripts could get put back up at any moment.

That risk will remain right up to the airdate of episode 5.
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    They're gone from the main file sharing sites, but the people who downloaded them earlier in the week still have them - and as long as they do the scripts could get put back up at any moment.

That risk will remain right up to the airdate of episode 5.

Oh no they are not. Checking the various sharing sites, they are very much available. Not that I have read them, or even downloaded them. But if people want them, then there is nothing anyone can do. Look hard enough and they are still about.
    At the end of the day, this is the fault of the BBC. They must live in cloud cuckoo land if they believe people are going to keep quiet about this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no they are not. Checking the various sharing sites, they are very much available. Not that I have read them, or even downloaded them. But if people want them, then there is nothing anyone can do. Look hard enough and they are still about.
    At the end of the day, this is the fault of the BBC. They must live in cloud cuckoo land if they believe people are going to keep quiet about this.

Well, I found all five online a few minutes ago. So, they are still traceable online to see if you want.

I wouldn't reccomend it though, as it would ruin the enjoyment as all five go out in August and September.

I did download them, and it took less than five minutes. Not sure whether to read them, or to just leave the copies to read, after the episodes have aired. :confused:
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me, but I've read them and I don't think it spoils the episodes, if anything it's making me look forward more as I enjoyed reading them, and want to see what they look like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just deleted the five copies of the scripts from my computer. I did read the first episode, and part of the second. Then I thought, "Nah, I can't do this." So I got rid of them. Sent them straight to the recycle bin, then emptied that.

So I do know roughly what happens in the first episode, but not really anything after that. I couldn't bring myself to read all of them. It would spoil the surprise for me come September.

In a way, I wish it was like it was back in the 70s. There was no internet, so "Whovians" couldn't read any scripts before the stories aired.

In the end, I did the right thing. Thinking about it, it was silly of me to download them, but I wanted to know what happens. I know for a fact, that other people have got them downloaded, and have read all of them.

I haven't got the five scripts on my PC anymore, and I don't intend on searching for them in the future. I only literely know sort of what happens in the first episode and also the titles for the other four, and that's it.

I do hope that the BBC read this, and know that every single trace of the scripts, haven't gone from the internet. They won't go from the net entirely, as people are so stupid as to post them on various sites, once they see them.

They share them basically. One way they do that, is Email them to their friends.

Tut! Tut! >:(
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked the first four people I found on tumblr who claimed to have them for them and three of them offered to send me them, the others linked me to the googledrive copies that got taken down. I've no intention of reading them, but if I wanted to, I very much could.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I did download them, and it took less than five minutes. Not sure whether to read them, or to just leave the copies to read, after the episodes have aired. :confused:

Hypothetically speaking if I'd acquired them it would be to read after the episode is broadcast.

With the recent BBC series Happy Valley they published (in the writers room) the script of each episode the day after they aired. I found reading these quite interesting for two reasons.

Firstly there were notes in there about what they were trying to convey when perhaps the material was too graphic, and it answered a lot of "did they mean?" type questions. Secondly just to see how and where they'd deviated from the scripts.
    Forum Member
    Oh no they are not. Checking the various sharing sites, they are very much available.

That's what I was trying to say; the scripts appear, people start passing around the links, the following day the BBC has pulled the files. There's a day or so where the scripts are hard to find again, until someone decides to re-share the copies they saved locally. The scripts become easy to find again, until the BBC pulls the links...
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Worse, a rough cut of the first episode is out now as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think it's a problem if the scripts are read by those who want to read them. Some people like spoilers, some don't. For example, you all probably read plots of the movies before you go to the cinema (or discussed about plot with friends who watched it). And that increased your excitement for watching it. So, I don't think it's a problem if people are sending each other PMs with these scripts. As long as they stay quiet. They shouldn't discuss about them on forums (without spoiler alert) because people who don't like spoilers must stay spoiler free.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They shouldn't discuss about them on forums (without spoiler alert) because people who don't like spoilers must stay spoiler free.

Just to state (or restate) the obvious but they shouldn't discuss their contents on this forum full stop

I'd suggest we don't know the legal ramifications or damage to DS's reputation relationship with the beeb that allowing that kind of exchange even by PM would do and they've asked us nicely.

And lets be frank the "Can someone PM me the first five pages" type of posts in a thread are hardly private

If people want to know they can easily source them elsewhere
    Forum Member
    Over on Gallifrey Base today I received three unsolicited PM's containing just the line "check my twitter ;)" or similar. On Twitter, I searched for the usernames of the people who I got the PMs from and found working links to the actual episode in there.

So far it hasn't happened to me on here (but then, I've been open about having the file so perhaps it won't now) - but if it DOES happen to anyone here maybe that should also be reported as it's basically the same as sending a direct link albeit by proxy.
  • Paul_RowlandsPaul_Rowlands Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I have read them & wish I didn't don't do it people
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the b&w cut yesterday. Makes me hungry for the HD colour version on 23rd. The text overlays were interesting though (this needs adding, remove markers etc). PC is a fine Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried to understand other points of view, and in the large scale of things this is a storm in an egg cup... but I can't help but feel that those who read entire scripts (or watch entire rough cuts) of TV shows or films a long time prior to their official release just displays a lack of self-discipline and a lack of courtesy toward the production team.

It isn't like looking up something that has already been released in another country, or reading a novel that is imminently due to be adapted. What some may justify as curiosity concerning the script-to-screen process I can only perceive as a self-deceiving desire for content. They may be a fan of the franchise / director / writer or whatever, but that fandom doesn't necessarily extend to how the work was intended to be (initially) consumed.

I'm sure Moffat (and latterly Capaldi and the rest of the team) were perfectly willing to wait until the Cardiff premiere to be judged on their work. But because of some freak (or perhaps deliberate) error along the line, their work is being judged right now, almost a whole month earlier than planned, albeit by an extreme minority. Even if the overall feedback is positive, it is still premature, uncomfortable and probably unwelcome.

Though they're probably more than able to ignore it and get over it. I'm willing to admit that this is perhaps an obstinate traditionalist's point of view which is hard to maintain in the days of the internet. At best, any publicity is good publicity, after all. At worst, it's just another excuse to ponder the psychological and demoralising effects of the internet on its users.
  • PobattiPobatti Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I have read them & wish I didn't don't do it people
    Pm me link for episode if anyone has it please

:rolleyes:

(there really needs to be a facepalm smilie)
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Pobatti wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

(there really needs to be a facepalm smilie)

Chortle... :D
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know if its been posted elsewhere but the BBC have posted a news report today about the leaked scripts:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28349195