Nokia 930

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This new Nokia phone is out tomorrow. As a special offer EE have this on pay as you go for 360 pound including a wireless speaker and charger. Seems a good deal, might be tempted myself.

Comments

• Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I read about this and I have to say...its tempting....

I should add I have only just recently purchased a Lumia 1020 so I think my wallet has took a bit of a hammering of late. I wonder if it is staying at this price?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks nice in White :)
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers for the heads-up, it's tempting, I don't know whether to hold out for Mclaren with 3D touch. I want to see one of these in person first, I want to see if it's lighter than my 920 (the bulkiness and weight of it is starting to annoy me now) and I want to see how much faster the newer chipset makes things.

Do you know if it is easy to unlock an EE pay as you go phone? Their deal with £15 10GB data lasting 90 days sounds decent. I'm thinking I'm going to get off my Three plan with tethering as it isn't very fast in London on mobile and tethering is very slow.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this have all the EE branding on it and is it locked to EE? I hate operator branding, locked I can deal with.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Does this have all the EE branding on it and is it locked to EE? I hate operator branding, locked I can deal with.

It'll definitely be locked if sourced from EE...
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The operator branding on my Vodafone 1020 was minimal. In fact, pretty much non existent. A couple of browser shortcuts and that was it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    The operator branding on my Vodafone 1020 was minimal. In fact, pretty much non existent. A couple of browser shortcuts and that was it.

The biggest issue with operator branding is then you need operator approval to get an update. It can mean updates being delayed for months or not getting them at all. That's not an issue if it is unbranded and locked.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be aware that you won't be able to unlock the phone for six months and that you will always be the last for updates to the OS- sometimes two to three months behind the other major UK networks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The biggest issue with operator branding is then you need operator approval to get an update. It can mean updates being delayed for months or not getting them at all. That's not an issue if it is unbranded and locked.

that's exactly why I would rather pay extra than to have operator branding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so I just received my 930 in green and its a gorgeous phone, a lot better than I thought it would be, the green is so bright and it feels amazing to hold.

This one is a winner! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so I just received my 930 in green and its a gorgeous phone, a lot better than I thought it would be, the green is so bright and it feels amazing to hold.

This one is a winner! :D

Please let me know how it is for performance. I have a 920 and I am getting tired of seeing the ...resuming.... screen.

Right now, I'm thinking of waiting for McLaren on basis it will have 3GB RAM and therefore much less tombstoning of apps.

Anything else noticeable about it. Also not a fan of my 920's weight and thickness anymore (my HTC 8X was perfect in that regard). So if the 930 feels like the 925, that's probably good enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please let me know how it is for performance. I have a 920 and I am getting tired of seeing the ...resuming.... screen.

Right now, I'm thinking of waiting for McLaren on basis it will have 3GB RAM and therefore much less tombstoning of apps.

Anything else noticeable about it. Also not a fan of my 920's weight and thickness anymore (my HTC 8X was perfect in that regard). So if the 930 feels like the 925, that's probably good enough.

I have a 925 and not noticed any resuming screens on apps that I did before, some apps are just slow anyway like Viber so not much we can do about that till they release an update, but apps launch noticeably faster.

The phone doesn't feel much heavier than my 925 but I like the "square" feel of the 930.

I have had a 920 for a few days a couple months ago and didn't like the thickness either, but because of the 930s design the thickness isn't too much of a bother as it has flat sides.

Brilliant phone, and a very happy owner :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 925 and not noticed any resuming screens on apps that I did before, some apps are just slow anyway like Viber so not much we can do about that till they release an update, but apps launch noticeably faster.

The phone doesn't feel much heavier than my 925 but I like the "square" feel of the 930.

I have had a 920 for a few days a couple months ago and didn't like the thickness either, but because of the 930s design the thickness isn't too much of a bother as it has flat sides.

Brilliant phone, and a very happy owner :D

Well, the other alternative in my mind is to "ditch" Windows Phone by swapping around my work phone (iPhone 5) and personal (Lumia 920) so the iPhone becomes the phone I use the most.

Some complications - against company policy to put personal sim in a work provided phone and I would always need to have both phones when at work as iphone does the work email and I can't move it.

Decisions, decisions. The EE offer looked good as the 10GB data lasts for 90 days, could try out the EE network and see if it is much faster than Three.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the other alternative in my mind is to "ditch" Windows Phone by swapping around my work phone (iPhone 5) and personal (Lumia 920) so the iPhone becomes the phone I use the most.

Some complications - against company policy to put personal sim in a work provided phone and I would always need to have both phones when at work as iphone does the work email and I can't move it.

Decisions, decisions. The EE offer looked good as the 10GB data lasts for 90 days, could try out the EE network and see if it is much faster than Three.

The 930 is worth it, it craps all over the iPhone, and I like it even better than my HTC One M7,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    This new Nokia phone is out tomorrow. As a special offer EE have this on pay as you go for 360 pound including a wireless speaker and charger. Seems a good deal, might be tempted myself.

The wireless speaker and charger is only on contracts I think, not included on pay as you go, that's what they said in the shop today anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 930 is worth it, it craps all over the iPhone, and I like it even better than my HTC One M7,

Decided to go ahead with the phone switch - iPhone as primary, NL920 as work phone. It's basically a free experiment (only £5 of sim adapters).

If I still prefer Windows Phone after several weeks of getting familiar with my iPhone then I'll consider buying the 930. Annoyingly, that EE special price of £360 is only until end of July. Also, I'd need to get it unlocked so it works on Three.

It was worth doing anyway as currently I'm straddling both Microsoft and Apple ecosystems and I would like to concentrate down onto one.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The wireless speaker and charger is only on contracts I think, not included on pay as you go, that's what they said in the shop today anyway.

I think the wireless charger comes with the phone anyway no matter where you get it.

I may be wrong though.
  • SHATNERSTACTICSHATNERSTACTIC Posts: 6
    Forum Member

How are you finding the screen? The unit I have has a definite purple hue to it, noticeable on whites (like a web page). I read elsewhere this can be calibrated out using the display settings but not get round to as mines only a loaner and needs to go back next week. The other issue I have is that it gets noticeably hot from time to time which TBH I'm not really worried about.

Those two issues aside, it's a massive step up from the 920 I currently have. The device feels like there's more than enough h/w performance to cope with anything asked of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are you finding the screen? The unit I have has a definite purple hue to it, noticeable on whites (like a web page). I read elsewhere this can be calibrated out using the display settings but not get round to as mines only a loaner and needs to go back next week. The other issue I have is that it gets noticeably hot from time to time which TBH I'm not really worried about.

Those two issues aside, it's a massive step up from the 920 I currently have. The device feels like there's more than enough h/w performance to cope with anything asked of it.

the screen is fab, way up on my HTC One and Lumia 925.

The purple tiny I noticed hopefully fixed with a firmware update soon as Nokia has acknowledged this issue. Also the heat thing is a problem too, report it to Nokia the more who do, the more they are likely to investigate.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phone getting hot is something I noticed on my L1520 with WP8.1 preview on it. I thought it should be fixed with the new FW, looks like maybe not >:( And it is something to worry about. That heat is something that is not used to power up the phone = shorter battery life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    The phone getting hot is something I noticed on my L1520 with WP8.1 preview on it. I thought it should be fixed with the new FW, looks like maybe not >:( And it is something to worry about. That heat is something that is not used to power up the phone = shorter battery life.

tweet @NokiaHelps about the overheating issues, the more who complain the more likely they will acknowledge the issue

I did and they seem to be taking me for a ride, if more people complain, they will be more likely to fix the issue in a timely manner.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »

Does it ever actually shut down while hot?

I've seen issues with the Sony Z2 and LG G3, on both the camera completely stopped working due to overheating.

My 1020 occasionally gets hot, thankfully never uncomfortably so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Does it ever actually shut down while hot?

I've seen issues with the Sony Z2 and LG G3, on both the camera completely stopped working due to overheating.

My 1020 occasionally gets hot, thankfully never uncomfortably so.

I've never found it to shut down, but I have only had it since 17th so time will tell, but hopefully Nokia will get a firmware fix out soon.

The more people that tweet and make a fuss the more likely the fix will come sooner.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never found it to shut down, but I have only had it since 17th so time will tell, but hopefully Nokia will get a firmware fix out soon.

The more people that tweet and make a fuss the more likely the fix will come sooner.

I am not sure the problem can be fixed completely though (but, for the record, so far I've not had any phone completely shut down on me - yet - just refuse to allow me to do certain things, primarily use the camera).

The Z2 recently(ish) got an update to the camera that simply shut it down after a short time in standby, before then refusing to start at all. In the next update, Sony says it has addressed issues to make the camera use less power - but I doubt it can fix things completely.

The G3 warns it will shut down. Perhaps that could be tweaked too, but who knows?

I really do think that any device using Snapdragon 800 and above is going to be running hotter than older devices, even when not seemingly doing that much. My Z2 rises by about 5 degrees C just when starting it. That's taking no photos (but it's analysing everything in real time) or video.

I wonder what Qualcomm has to say on the subject, given it is selling devices in locations far hotter and more humid than the UK.