Options

Windows 8 Product Keys

Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
Forum Member
Hi,

I am thinking of trialing some Windows 8 based fun and such and I see on eBay that sellers have 'genuine product keys' for Win 8 for as little as £40 - reading the sellers blurb and all that he claims they are genuine and registered with MS, but I'm just wondering, for that price, where is the catch?

Okay, there is no disc but lets face it I wont need one there are various sources to get a disc from, but I would want a genuine product key.

Not really worried too much about not getting support from MS, as long as Windows Update works thats all I really need to worry about.

So yeah, is there a catch?

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find any Windows 8 product keys on there at all.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    The catch is it's Windows 8 - the worst ever version of Windows.

if I was in your boat, I'd stick with Windows 7 until Windows 9 is eventually released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See, I knew there would be one lol :)
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    The catch is it's Windows 8 - the worst ever version of Windows.

if I was in your boat, I'd stick with Windows 7 until Windows 9 is eventually released.

Cobblers, people just have this ridiculous bandwagon jumping without articulation of good reasons or knowledge.
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The following is from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/howtotell/Software.aspx#Digital it seems MS do not sell just product keys on there own to resellers.

With the exception of Product Key Cards distributed with Certificates of Authenticity (COA’s), Microsoft does not distribute products keys as standalone products. If you see a listing on an auction site, online classified ad, or other online page advertising product keys, it’s a good indication that these keys are likely stolen or counterfeit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, other than Win 7 being better or waiting for Win 9, is there a catch in the chaps eBay advert?

EDIT: Ah, posted before I read the post above mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So do you think he is selling

Product Key Cards distributed with Certificates of Authenticity

??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »

Then you probably should have put 'activation key' instead of 'product key'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Cobblers, people just have this ridiculous bandwagon jumping without articulation of good reasons or knowledge.

Exactly. A lot of the Windows 8 'hate' is just probably people copying off each other. It's ridiculous. Okay, Windows 8 does have some minor inconveniences compared to previous versions, but there's nothing terrible about it. A lot of the time it's just people being stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do you think he is selling

Product Key Cards distributed with Certificates of Authenticity

??

Message him to find out. Post his reply here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Then you probably should have put 'activation key' instead of 'product key'.

Thought it was the same thing to be fair. Hey look I wasn't having a pop, I thought my smiley was enough evidence of that.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can extend windows 8 to about 120 days using the rearm command and theres a enterprise version thats good for 120 days as well so no need to pay any money out for a bit of a trial
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats interesting, thank you, I will look at that.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a free upgrade to W8.1 from W8. It would just take longer to get there.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I am thinking of trialing some Windows 8 based fun and such and I see on eBay that sellers have 'genuine product keys' for Win 8 for as little as £40 - reading the sellers blurb and all that he claims they are genuine and registered with MS, but I'm just wondering, for that price, where is the catch?

Okay, there is no disc but lets face it I wont need one there are various sources to get a disc from, but I would want a genuine product key.

Not really worried too much about not getting support from MS, as long as Windows Update works thats all I really need to worry about.

So yeah, is there a catch?
    Yes, these keys are probably being resold illegally.

If you want a trial, you can either borrow a Windows 8 disk and use it without activating for a few months, or download the Windows 8 Enterprise trial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was the same thing to be fair. Hey look I wasn't having a pop, I thought my smiley was enough evidence of that.

I just meant that I thought that you had typed product key in the search box on eBay.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote:

Bit harsh, declaring anyone who doesn't think Windows 8 is good as lacking knowledge and jumping on the bandwagon. Fanboys resort to insults when the opinion of a product isn't shared.

There is an overwhelming number of people that don't like Windows 8. Even Microsoft now recognises this. It feels like two operating systems bolted together, it looks like it was designed for children, it looks as though the desktop which is still universally loved is being prepared for the scrapheap in favour of a desktop unfriendly smartphone style (thankfully, with each new update, this doesn't seem so much the case any more), tasks that could be accomplished with two clicks in Windows 7 take several, there are hidden and often annoying menus confusing people who aren't good with computers, the lock screen is annoying and unnecessary on desktops and it can not be removed, the start menu has gone, gadgets have gone, Aero has gone and the Windows Classic has theme has gone (why do that other than to dictate to customers what they can and can't do because they can?)

Overall, unless a third-party piece of software is installed to hide some of the many annoyances, Windows 8 is unusable for many people.
    zx50 wrote: »
    Exactly. A lot of the Windows 8 'hate' is just probably people copying off each other. It's ridiculous. Okay, Windows 8 does have some minor inconveniences compared to previous versions, but there's nothing terrible about it. A lot of the time it's just people being stupid.

That's ridiculous. You really believe millions of people don't actually hate Windows 8 and instead copy the crowd? There's no doubt Windows 8 is stable and there are some nice new features (not exactly jaw-dropping) in the Windows 7.1 side of the OS.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. You really believe millions of people don't actually hate Windows 8 and instead copy the crowd?
    Well that's exactly what happened with Windows Vista. You had people who literally knew next to nothing about computers (who often don't even know what they are actually running or confuse Windows with Office) slagging it off because somebody has told them it was crap. It couldn't possibly be anything to do with the abundance of malware the person has installed or the fact that the PC is garbage to begin with.

In the case of Windows 8, many simply don't have the patience to adapt to the changes. After a few minutes of use it has been dismissed as unusable. Part of this is Microsoft's fault for not performing a smoother transition (and allowing a classic mode) but users will always make a fuss when things are changed that effect how they use their computer.