Has Blu-ray really taken off as expected?

13»

Comments

• uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    just as point of reference for anyone wondering,

Other than many BluRay films looking "slightly" crisper than the DVD version on a small LCD (23-26in), on some there really is quite a big step up on these smaller screens. My "demo bluray" is Das Boot, where on many of the underwater shots you can easily see where the BluRay is streets ahead of the blocky DVD version. I get the impression that this is as much to do with specific remastering in the PC as it is being on a higher resolution disc though.

as it's a long movie it will suffer more from compression on dvd. all versions apart from the superbit had the DC cut stuffed onto a single disc. the movie is 3 and a half hours long. about a boot and in foreign! :eek:
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    The [Das Boot] movie is 3 and a half hours long. about a boot and in foreign! :eek:

No, no, you're getting it confused with that famous German film, Der Stiefel. :D
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Das Boot is a classic film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    The other thing about Blu-Ray is that it's a lot less convenient and versatile than DVD. For example, I don't have Blu-Ray players in the car for the kids to watch, just DVD players. Also I understand (although I've not tried it) that because of the encryption it's more difficult to rip to my computer and use across my network or put a copy on the iPad etc.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    edgayton wrote: »
    The other thing about Blu-Ray is that it's a lot less convenient and versatile than DVD. For example, I don't have Blu-Ray players in the car for the kids to watch, just DVD players. Also I understand (although I've not tried it) that because of the encryption it's more difficult to rip to my computer and use across my network or put a copy on the iPad etc.

Which is a further reason why it succeeded :D

Piracy prevention was a major concern, so if HD-DVD was less secure the rights holders wouldn't release films on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it's just as easy to rip as a dvd

but why would you want to watch a bluray in the car? shouldn't you be paying attention to the road? sorry offisher i knocked over the old women as it was a good bit in die hard 2? yippie kay yay?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but why would you want to watch a bluray in the car? shouldn't you be paying attention to the road?

Er... the answer was already in the exact same sentence where he made the comment about Blu-Rays you were replying to:-
    I don't have Blu-Ray players in the car for the kids to watch, just DVD players.

:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    Er... the answer was already in the exact same sentence where he made the comment about Blu-Rays you were replying to:-

:rolleyes:

i heard having dvd players in the car stops you getting jokes
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

If you have a reasonable Bluray collection you'll probably find some will include a DVD, Digital Copy or UV Copy, perfect for what you are wanting to do.....;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i heard having dvd players in the car stops you getting jokes

Nope- the bit you said after that ("sorry offisher i knocked over the old women as it was a good bit in die hard 2? yippie kay yay? ") was an obvious joke.

The bit I quoted (i.e. you asking him about paying attention to the road when he'd literally just said it was for his kids)? Not buying that. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    Nope- the bit you said after that ("sorry offisher i knocked over the old women as it was a good bit in die hard 2? yippie kay yay? ") was an obvious joke.

The bit I quoted (i.e. you asking him about paying attention to the road when he'd literally just said it was for his kids)? Not buying that. :rolleyes:

i guess i was right in the first place.

how do you expect the joke to make sense if you don't ignore the bit abouts kids? not only did it get mentioned in the post, but i quoted it too

you know when you over think things, they no longer become amusing. i guess when someone tells you a chicken crossing the joke question you argue that chickens wouldn't cross the road?

it was a short off the cuff joke. it doesn't need analysis. isn't there something on the telly?
  • KojackKojack Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone ever had a Laser Disc player, they where around for a few years before DVD and pretty good quality as well just dam expensive to buy a movie, I had a Pioneer Laser Disc for about 12 months before DVD players cam out which I sold for the same price as I bought it to a guy who had a big collection & his player blew up.
    I had one of the first ever multi region players was a second gen Pioneer DVD505 back in 1999 I think, it was great player had the blue light on the front it still works I think I gave it to my mum about 2004 she doesn't watch that many movies. lol to many soaps Im sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kojack wrote: »
    Anyone ever had a Laser Disc player

There was a Laserdisc thread not so long ago that you might find interesting...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kojack wrote: »
    Anyone ever had a Laser Disc player, they where around for a few years before DVD and pretty good quality as well just dam expensive to buy a movie, I had a Pioneer Laser Disc for about 12 months before DVD players cam out which I sold for the same price as I bought it to a guy who had a big collection & his player blew up.
    I had one of the first ever multi region players was a second gen Pioneer DVD505 back in 1999 I think, it was great player had the blue light on the front it still works I think I gave it to my mum about 2004 she doesn't watch that many movies. lol to many soaps Im sure.

i still have a pio LD connected to my PIO plasma. a friend has my sony LD. i still have a few discs that have never been released on dvd so the LD versions are the best quality available