OH MY GOD! Child chokes on lunch at school!!!

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The heimlich (Sp) is dangerous in small children and should only be used as a very last resort.

Sharp slaps to the back are what is used. Whilst holding the child with their head downwards. In between slaps you should check there mouth to see if the obstruction has dislodged. If it has you can hook it out with your finger.

If you work with children and have to do this, it has to be written down in an incident book. I had to do this at work a few weeks ago. Thank god it worked and the little boy happily carried on with his lunch.

The poor little girl in the news and her family, how devastating for them.
    What a tragic accedent.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remeber when I was at nursery school, (over 35yrs ago now), and I got a fish bone caught in my throat and started choking on it.

I was slapped about a bit (on my back), to get it dislodged. Thankfully they did the trick.

Been afraid of bones in fish ever since. If I buy fish from chippy etc, I chew and chew and chew until I know it is a mulch in my mouth before I swallow. And I am always wary that there maybe a bone still in there.

Saying that...I do like fish. Mmmmmm.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruth77 wrote:
    Well I do beg your pardon.

Next time I start a thread I'll PM you for suggestions on how to word it.

Bloody hell!

The other poster isn't alone: I read it the same way.
  • Mummycool1Mummycool1 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is just absolutely tragic. That poor family.
    I am a primary school dinner lady, I work supervising the kids and making sure they are safe and well. I cant imagine how awful those working at this school must feel. Dinner ladys are trained in first aid, in fact I'm doing a course next week as are my workmates, we're doing it together. Saying all that accidents like choking can happen in an instant, in fact I stayed with a child today till his mouth was empty as he'd filled it up with chicken. I also today had a girl who put a 20p piece in her mouth, and I gave her a talking to about why we dont put things like that in our mouths. With a large amount of children to watch its imperative to keep your eyes on the situation at all time, but even then accidents happen, it takes the blink of an eye :(