Options

Wham Last christmas numbers?

chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw this on Wikipedia and was looking for numbers/link to back it up

The single sold well over a million copies and became the biggest selling single in UK chart history not to reach #1

Comments

• Options
    Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    http://www.everyhit.co.uk/bestsellingsingles.html

According to the pop-up, 'Last Christmas' has sold just under 1.5 million,but I don't know how recent the list is.
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on the Christmas Number One documentary the other night. Why didn't they delay it a year like Shakin Stevens did?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    personally I HATE this Xmas song!!!! :/
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Jazzman wrote: »
    Saw this on the Christmas Number One documentary the other night. Why didn't they delay it a year like Shakin Stevens did?

I doubt that Wham/George were too concerned with not getting a Christmas number one as they decided to donate all sales from Last Christmas to the Band Aid charity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.everyhit.co.uk/bestsellingsingles.html

According to the pop-up, 'Last Christmas' has sold just under 1.5 million,but I don't know how recent the list is.

do you know if the 23 song ahead were #1 hits?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt that Wham/George were too concerned with not getting a Christmas number one as they decided to donate all sales from Last Christmas to the Band Aid charity

According to wikipedia

Due to perceived similarities between "Last Christmas" and the song "Can't Smile Without You" as popularised by Barry Manilow, an out-of-court settlement was reached in which the first year's royalties were donated to the one-year-old "Band Aid" charity.

On behalf of the songwriters, publishing company Dick James Music sued George Michael for plagiarism in the mid-'80s, claiming that the 1984 Wham! single "Last Christmas" lifted its melody from "Can't Smile Without You." The case was settled out of court
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    george got to number 1 anyway so he wasn't to worried about not being number 1 with wham. and hollie johnson was also at number 1 again with the record that knocked the power of love of the top
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love this song :D

Thanks for the info
  • Options
    Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    chrisqc wrote: »
    do you know if the 23 song ahead were #1 hits?

I can confirm that the top 23 above 'Last Christmas' were definitely all UK #1 hits.
    The next song to reach #2 was 1962s 'Stranger on the shore' by Acker Bilk and that is way down the list at 60th.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »
    According to wikipedia

Due to perceived similarities between "Last Christmas" and the song "Can't Smile Without You" as popularised by Barry Manilow, an out-of-court settlement was reached in which the first year's royalties were donated to the one-year-old "Band Aid" charity.

On behalf of the songwriters, publishing company Dick James Music sued George Michael for plagiarism in the mid-'80s, claiming that the 1984 Wham! single "Last Christmas" lifted its melody from "Can't Smile Without You." The case was settled out of court

I never knew that about the writers of Can't Smile Without You suing GM for plagiarism. I can't hear the similarities myself.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never knew that about the writers of Can't Smile Without You suing GM for plagiarism. I can't hear the similarities myself.

hum both, in particular the chorus of can't smile and the opening version of xmas