Options

Which iphone 5 or 4?

Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
Forum Member
✭✭
My contract is due for renewal next week and i'm going to try my chance for a free handset when i renew my contract.

I have my eye on a iphone but not sure which one to get. I've been told by one friend to ignore the iphone 5 as it's "very buggy" and i even read about the problem with the 'do not disturb' feature a few weeks ago on the 5 but they're not good enough reasons to convince me which one to buy.

I bought my current android phone for the touch screen keypad and for e-mails, web and the camera. Since i've had my current phone i've still not been able to properly use e-mail on it and it sometimes shuts its self off without me knowing.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Apollo.

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That "do not disturb" bug is in all iOS phones because they update all at once, but with features restricted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That "do not disturb" bug is in all iOS phones because they update all at once, but with features restricted.

Do Not Disturb works fine again now and has done since 7th January. I don't know why, as there was no iOS update, but that's what happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do Not Disturb works fine again now and has done since 7th January. I don't know why, as there was no iOS update, but that's what happened.

It was a mayan calandar bug, like android had dec missing last year in an update.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Whilst the 4 & 5 are similar you can't buy the 4 now. If you have it for 2 years it'll be very old by the end.

Worse if they ever do make iOS into decent product it may not be available for the 4
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't a lot to choose between the 4S and the 5.

The obvious differences :
    - 4S traditional Apple dock, 5 lightning (so may need an adapter for some docks)
    - 5 is faster, although either is likely faster than your Samsung
    - bigger screen (although still feels restrictive, which is weird)
    - 5 may be more prone to damage than the 4S.

The camera is pretty much identical on the two, being the same basic camera unit in both.

Both good phones, although I'd be tempted to suggest a Nexus 4 (if you can find one - its half the price of the entry level iPhones), or the obvious SGS3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Whilst the 4 & 5 are similar you can't buy the 4 now. If you have it for 2 years it'll be very old by the end.

Worse if they ever do make iOS into decent product it may not be available for the 4

iPhone 4 has also lost out on all the latest features of iOS.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'd be very happy with a 4s or 5 coming from that android phone, which I'm guessing is a lower end handset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    I think you'd be very happy with a 4s or 5 coming from that android phone, which I'm guessing is a lower end handset.

I think it was one of the first Samsung Android phones, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm assuming most networks offer a new handset when re-newing a contract? I'm on T-Mobile or EE or whatever they're calling their selves these days.
  • Options
    HughsterHughster Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    The type of phone they offer you when renewing depends on your monthly spend.

You'll be very lucky to get the iPhone 5 for free.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Hughster wrote: »
    The type of phone they offer you when renewing depends on your monthly spend.

You'll be very lucky to get the iPhone 5 for free.

.... or unlucky depending on your perspective :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I upgraded just before Christmas to the iphone 4s and i think it is brilliant.

The only gripe i have is charging the battery each night.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    sebastion wrote: »

I had to do that with my 4S as well though.

Have had to do it with pretty much every smart phone i have had.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a mayan calandar bug, like android had dec missing last year in an update.
    Nothing to do with the Mayan calendar at all. I seriously doubt iOS or Android have even been programmed to be aware of the Mayan calendar.

The DND bug appears to have been caused by an incorrect date string being requested at some point in the automatic on/off calculations. In UNIX, if you request the year as 'yyyy' it returns the Gregorian year, whereas 'YYYY' returns the year according to the ISO 8601 date standard, where years are either 52 or 53 whole weeks.

I imagine Apple will correct the error in the iOS 6.1 update so it doesn't happen again next year.
    iPhone 4 has also lost out on all the latest features of iOS.

At least it got all of the core OS updates. You have to remember it's 2½ years old. If it had been made by any other manufacturer it would have been declared obsolete and dumped off the update list long ago.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is little compelling difference between the 4 and 5. Slightly longer screen which somehow seems out of place. They could have made it a lot bigger. Otherwise its more of the same really and you will hardly be able to tell the difference between them. If you want to get the latest go for the 5.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Mayan calendar thing earlier was a joke.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You'd have to do that with most of the high end phones these days, especially if your making full use of it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member

Same here.. me also do charge the battery every night but this is really a fantastic phone.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    5s is due in a couple of months isn't it?

Not trolling, genuinely asking...
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    5s is due in a couple of months isn't it?

Not trolling, genuinely asking...

Oh I'm swithering wether to leave off getting IPhone just now :D
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they usually launched in September?
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    My contract is due for renewal next week and i'm going to try my chance for a free handset when i renew my contract.

I have my eye on a iphone but not sure which one to get. I've been told by one friend to ignore the iphone 5 as it's "very buggy" and i even read about the problem with the 'do not disturb' feature a few weeks ago on the 5 but they're not good enough reasons to convince me which one to buy.

I bought my current android phone for the touch screen keypad and for e-mails, web and the camera. Since i've had my current phone i've still not been able to properly use e-mail on it and it sometimes shuts its self off without me knowing.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Apollo.

As I'm sure you've realised, trying to get a helpful answer to your question will be tricky. I have many friends with iphone4s and iphone5. If you want to use iOS you should go for the 5 as this is the newer phone,

I would recommend going in a shop and picking them up and playing with them (apple stores are best for this).
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I thought they usually launched in September?

Dunno. Rumour mill in full working order that its March / April time - or is that the New 'new' iPad and iPod's?

To be honest I cant keep up...
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If free is your main upgrade criteria, then unless your monthly spend is very high (£55+) then you're unlikely to get a free 5, so the decision may be made for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    You'd have to do that with most of the high end phones these days, especially if your making full use of it

Very true, had internet on my phone for about 4/5 years and never botherd with it.

Upgraded, now i`m never of Twitter. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If free is your main upgrade criteria, then unless your monthly spend is very high (£55+) then you're unlikely to get a free 5, so the decision may be made for you.

I was quite lucky with the current phone i've got. The handset was free at the time,an upgrade to unlimited texts (it was originally 300 texts a month) 300 minutes and unlimited browsing. All for £15.36 a month.

I'll drop by my local T-Mobile store next week and see what they can advise me.