Options

People STILL think Satellite - Sky!!

Comments

• Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    That promise at post #101 above didn't even last to the end of this page. :D

Sorry peter. Couldn't resist.
    You can have that one:D, but I could not resist:o , but silence is golden again NOW:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    No it hasn't. I regularly "hoover" with our Dyson. I only time I watch "Sky" with my Freesat STB is if I tune in to Sky News.

The OP is right - lots of people don't know about Freesat, and think Sky is the only service there is. They don't say Sky meaning "Sky, Freesat and generic FTA satellite reception", they say Sky meaning "Sky"!

In the context of the report, the correct thing was to point out that people didn't need Sky at all - they could buy a Freesat box and connected it to any dish pointing at the right satellite.

Having said all that, I bet there are a heck of a lot of Sky boxes without a subscription being used across Wales. They're in a lot of holiday cottages!

Cheers,
    David.

makes me laugh,freesat uses the same satellite 'astra 28.2 e' as sky does..
    i want to know about 'real digital tv'?
    who has heard of it on here?
    when is that gonna start running?
    that runs off astra 28.2 e as well just like sky..
  • Options
    MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it really is a problem there is also a easy solution but Freesat I bet won't do it..

Start selling sat dishes with free sat printed on them, so when people get a new install the dish says Freesat on it. given time people will notice..
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    makes me laugh,freesat uses the same satellite 'astra 28.2 e' as sky does..
    i want to know about 'real digital tv'?
    who has heard of it on here?
    when is that gonna start running?
    that runs off astra 28.2 e as well just like sky..

There have been several threads on that subject all closed now - try a forum search. It was due to launch last spring and actually started broadcasting its EPG at one time. Thta stopped after a short while and nothing has been heard from them since although a couple of forum members have claimed to receive emails saying they are launching this month - see here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1775324

Their major proposer David Henry one time managing director has been disqualified from being a director after failing to pay tax due from one of his companies.

See here more info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Digital
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    There have been several threads on that subject all closed now - try a forum search. It was due to launch last spring and actually started broadcasting its EPG at one time. Thta stopped after a short while and nothing has been heard from them since although a couple of forum members have claimed to receive emails saying they are launching this month - see here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1775324

Their major proposer David Henry one time managing director has been disqualified from being a director after failing to pay tax due from one of his companies.

See here more info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Digital

As regards to Real Digital I will be phoning them up again next week to see what has been happening over there, I shall try to speak to one of my contact there
    I have been busy so I have not spoken to them in a very long time I shall update this Post next week with any info that I get
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As regards to Real Digital I will be phoning them up again next week to see what has been happening over there, I shall try to speak to one of my contact there
    I have been busy so I have not spoken to them in a very long time I shall update this Post next week with any info that I get
    Nice one, thanks. The website and company are both still live so I've not given up hope entirely. I suspect they have cash issues so are perhaps awaiting the arrival of a rich investor.
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People STILL think Satellite - Sky!!.

Not surprisong when 92% use Sky for satellite reception. ;)

OFCOM TECHNOLOGY TRACKER WAVE 3 2012 - MAIN SET. 6th October to 15th December 2012.
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/statistics/2013jan/wave3.pdf
  • Options
    Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised its only 92%. Cheers to the 8%!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »

Are you suggesting that Sky subscribers are extremely thick and unable to tell the difference? Wouldn't surprise me!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    ds_reader wrote: »

OFCOM TECHNOLOGY TRACKER WAVE 3 2012 - MAIN SET. 6th October to 15th December 2012.
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/statistics/2013jan/wave3.pdf

That document is pretty obtuse, can you specify which page or question(s) provide that figure?

Because in their final DTV report in 2011, Ofcom reported that 17% of satellite TV homes watched 'free to view' and 83% by subscription. http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/tv-research/tv-data/dig-tv-updates/DTV_charts_q1_2011.pdf

And of course, all satellite TV homes still comprise less than half all TV homes.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That document is pretty obtuse, can you specify which page or question(s) provide that figure?

Because in their final DVT report in 2011, Ofcom reported that 17% of satellite TV homes watched were 'free' and 83% by subscription. http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/tv-research/tv-data/dig-tv-updates/DTV_charts_q1_2011.pdf

It's market research. Lots of people have no idea what platform they're on!!

I expect a few who said they have Sky have Freesat. Exactly what this thread is about!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you suggesting that Sky subscribers are extremely thick and unable to tell the difference? Wouldn't surprise me!

If anything it's the other way round and it's the 'thick' Freesat viewers who told the researchers they had Sky!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    It's market research. Lots of people have no idea what platform they're on!!

I expect a few who said they have Sky have Freesat. Exactly what this thread is about!!

I know! I posted it to reinforce the point that the even higher figure of 17% (higher than 8% previously posted) makes an even stronger case for not referring to satellite TV as Sky! FreesatfromSky and the difference in survey dates may have something to do with it, and it's arguable whether or not that should be referred to as Sky.

But as I can't find the relevant question in that first rambling OFCOM questionnaire/document that was posted, I can't see how the supposed 8% is arrived at so I had to go back to an older one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know! I posted it to reinforce the point that the even higher figure of 17% (higher than 8% previously posted) makes an even stronger case for not referring to satellite TV as Sky! FreesatfromSky and the difference in survey dates may have something to do with it, and it's arguable whether or not that should be referred to as Sky.

But as I can't find the relevant question in that first rambling OFCOM questionnaire/document that was posted, I can't see how the supposed 8% is arrived at so I had to go back to an older one.

It's Table 80.
    QH7 (QH3). SHOWCARD Which of the following best describes your satellite TV service/s?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's Table 80.

Thanks.

So it's 85% then, not 92% - essentially the same as the old OFCOM report I linked to (the 2% difference is probably within the margin of error of such surveys, though there may have been a slight Sky increase since the end of 2011).

I think it would be misleading to include the 7% of "Sky satellite dish for free to air services only - you pay no monthly subscription fee" in the "Sky" total.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be misleading to include the 7% of "Sky satellite dish for free to air services only - you pay no monthly subscription fee" in the "Sky" total.

Exactly. I expect many using a Sky satellite dish have a Freesat box connected at the other end!!

Also the survey shows that 69% have an HD TV with an HD source (so able to watch BBC One HD).

Yet BARB figures are still showing only a tiny percentage are watching BBC One HD .Peak time average is less than 300,000 viewers, out of the potential 40 million or so.

Either or both of BARB's figures or Ofcom's market research are seriously flawed.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Exactly. I expect many using a Sky satellite dish have a Freesat box connected at the other end!!

Also the survey shows that 69% have an HD TV with an HD source (so able to watch BBC One HD).

Yet BARB figures are still showing only a tiny percentage are watching BBC One HD .Peak time average is less than 300,000 viewers, out of the potential 40 million or so.

Either or both of BARB's figures or Ofcom's market research are seriously flawed.

The claim that 69% have an HDTV with an HD source is probably no where near the truth - most broadcast HD sources are probably Sky HD, then Freeview HD (as it's not been available long enough yet to over take Sky HD), then Freesat HD.

Presumably the people surveyed misunderstood the question - or didn't (and still don't) realise they have no broadcast source of HD.

BARB's figures have far more chance of being correct - with the reason blindingly obvious - BBC HD is hidden away on the high channel numbers, and the vast majority of viewers will simply watch what's on 001, 101 rather than look for a better quality version hidden away.

We always show customers where the HD channels are when installing Freeview HD sets - but you just know that very few of them are ever going to bother, particularly the women!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably the people surveyed misunderstood the question - or didn't (and still don't) realise they have no broadcast source of HD.

We always show customers where the HD channels are when installing Freeview HD sets - but you just know that very few of them are ever going to bother, particularly the women!.

Oh us normal people misunderstood the question or could not find the HD channels if we had them, And as for your comment about women that is unbeleivable as I beleive most women are more clever than you seem to give them credit for,In fact many many women I would think are brighter than you or me and most women can work out where the HD channels are I know my wife or daughter can
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter05 wrote: »
    Oh us normal people misunderstood the question or could not find the HD channels if we had them, And as for your comment about women that is unbeleivable as I beleive most women are more clever than you seem to give them credit for,In fact many many women I would think are brighter than you or me and most women can work out where the HD channels are I know my wife or daughter can

Peter, the official data is there.

Just take Sky, Virgin and Freeview out of the equation and think only of Freesat.

1.4m homes, 80% HD take up, 2.3 average household size.

So a potential 2.5m people to watch BBC HD in Freesat homes alone.

Yet reach for BBC HD is only 3.8m and for 5.3m Freesat is the junior partner in HD penetration.

So if the figures are correct, the vast majority of those with HD are never watching the FTA HD channels.

Strange but true!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

You've obviously never spoken to the 'general public' :p

The only one here mentioning anything abut women being 'less clever' is you, I never suggested any such thing - only the well known observation that women generally don't bother with the hidden HD channels.

Even amongst the members on here (who are certainly NOT the general public) there have been plenty who admit that their wifes/girlfriends watch the SD versions in preference to the HD ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've obviously never spoken to the 'general public' :p

The only one here mentioning anything abut women being 'less clever' is you, I never suggested any such thing - only the well known observation that women generally don't bother with the hidden HD channels.

Even amongst the members on here (who are certainly NOT the general public) there have been plenty who admit that their wifes/girlfriends watch the SD versions in preference to the HD ones.

I'd extend that to men as well. There are slight differences between the sexes but most people really aren't that bothered about watching HD on their HD TVs. If it's there in front of them on channel 106 for example, they'll happily watch it but if it isn't, they won't bother, not always when they are paying for it either and that's why Sky did the numbering switch.

FTA HD won't take off until it's on page 1 of the planner and that applies to men as well as women. The reason is mainly that most people don't see HD as a big deal but not always. I often seek out the SD variant of a channel to record when my planner's getting full. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FTA HD won't take off until it's on page 1 of the planner and that applies to men as well as women. The reason is mainly that most people don't see HD as a big deal but not always. I often seek out the SD variant of a channel to record when my planner's getting full. ;)

Shame UK tv is not like French TV, HD channels automaticaly take the place on sd channels like TF1 becomes TF1 HD etc
  • Options
    Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame UK tv is not like French TV, HD channels automaticaly take the place on sd channels like TF1 becomes TF1 HD etc

That happens on SkyHD, Sky-1HD takes EPG106 if you sub to the HD package, it stays as the SD version if you don't take HD.

Also to the OP, I think everyone is well aware of the difference between Freesat and SKY.

My 12 year old daughter recently went to a friends for tea and was telling us their tv was awful as they only had FREESAT.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any luck?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Any luck?

Are you serious? :p