Post Office Broadband

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    clivers wrote: »

I completely agree with you. Migration and Talk Talk....not got to sound good.:eek:

Infinidim :cool:
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was tempted to go with Post Office for phone/broadband a good few years back but as they only offered up to 8mb speeds. It seemed not much better then BT at the time.
    In the end im glad I stayed with BT. Even though they are a little dearer a month.

Darren
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have just signed up so I guess I will have to hope and pray its ok. Not liking the talk talk deal but will see how it goes :-(
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have just signed up so I guess I will have to hope and pray its ok. Not liking the talk talk deal but will see how it goes :-(

I have had PO phone & broadband for three years & although slightly dearer than Talktalk, they are 10 times better in my option I just hope the service is as good if they migrate to TT. They are cheaper than BT for sure. Watch Lovefilm & had no problems. Their home phone is excellent value.

The fact they don't have free Wi Fi spots, Fibre is their downside & they promote very little of themselves on tv otherwise they be up there with the BT's & Sky's of this world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed I think as they don't advertise much is how they keep their prices as they are. My internet went live last weds and I'm getting drop outs but I was told by the operator it can take up to 10 days for the line to settle and get up to speed. Does that sound right?
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed I think as they don't advertise much is how they keep their prices as they are. My internet went live last weds and I'm getting drop outs but I was told by the operator it can take up to 10 days for the line to settle and get up to speed. Does that sound right?

To be honest I cannot remember if it did when I first got it but occasionally it does happen but I just switch off the router for about 10 - 15 secs & bobs your uncle I'm back on if that is any help.
    My friends got Virgin Media who pride themselves on their broadband but only last sunday he had no broadband for a few hours, a few months before that it was half a day & before christmas he was out for a whole weekend.:eek:.

We really need ISP's like the Post Office to offer decent value for money service that is plain & easy to understand. I often find with the big boys you really need to read the small print especally SKY & BT but Virgin & Talktalk don't do bad either in that area.

I have nothing against BT but I question how they will fund their investment in football tv rights. Will the non sports BT customers foot the bill? becouse trust me, BT will up their prices mainly in line rental.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks sparkie70 for the info will keep you informed how I progress.
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put my mother on PlusNet Value Broadband a few years ago, £6 for 10GB per month.
    She then switched the phone line from BT to Post Office, the broadband service remained intact.
    Sometime soon her line provider will be migrated to TalkTalk LLU as its backbone for Post office, will be interesting to see what happens to the PlusNet broadband.
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tadpole wrote: »
    I put my mother on PlusNet Value Broadband a few years ago, £6 for 10GB per month.
    She then switched the phone line from BT to Post Office, the broadband service remained intact.
    Sometime soon her line provider will be migrated to TalkTalk LLU as its backbone for Post office, will be interesting to see what happens to the PlusNet broadband.

Mines on Post Office too, except she's on the 5GB per month service with free daytime calls package extra.

Her exchange doesn't even have TalkTalk LLU available, so it should be an interesting time ahead...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had responses from all 3 parties on twitter

Post Office say : yes it should work.
    TalkTalk say : Yes it will work and it will be faster than before because of the TalkTalk LLU
    PlusNet say : We only work on BT lines so you will probably lose service.

Clear as mud.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an update on my service. I had a few teething problems at first but a free phonecall to PO and it got sorted. Also they have offered me one month refund for the inconvenience so I'm happy with the service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been notified that my own service will be upgraded (ie faster broadband) on Sept 30th.

I currently get 8Mbit/sec on my personal Postoffice line, and 21Mbit/sec on my works line. Hopefully those should be matched for speed soon.
  • pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you get a letter with the date of changeover then tadpole? I only get 3Mb usually so wondering if the change will result in it being faster. The joys of living in a rural village about 5kms from the exchange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had an email. Warns about old voicemails not been retained after the update, new voicemail menu options, will need to reinstate call barring options, and need to set up call reminders again. Switchover may result in no service for 30 mins on the day whilst things happen, and there may be occasional dropouts in service for 24 hours after the upgrade.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have everything with BT but dont use the BT landline much to make calls during a weekday. As I work most weekdays and use my mobile and dad who is now in his early 80s and partly deaf in one ear only uses the landline now and again to make calls. We are on the BT evening and weekend call package with BT Infinity option 2.
    Phone was used more when mum was alive a good few years ago.
    We get the BT bill every 3 months and the last few bills have seen the line rental and package fees with BT come to nearly 3 times as much as the cost of calls we have made in a 3 month period.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes BT are way too expensive now. PO is really good value for what you get so I'm well happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upgraded this morning. Was on 8128 kbps now 15200 kbps although I guess the line may take time to settle. My works BT line from the same premises to the same telephone exchange gives over 19Mbps. Not done tests for latency or throttling yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tadpole - could you have a look on speedtest.net for me please? Does it still say BT in the bottom left? I only get around 3 Mb/s and haven't heard whether or not my speed will increase nor any confirmation of when it will actually take place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says Tiscali 79.65.xxx.xxx now. Not putting full address for obvious reasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks tadpole. Wonder why does it say Tiscali?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    How can the PO justify charging £12.80/mth for their unlimited BB service when the company they buy it wholesale from charges just £7.50/mth? :confused:
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pmbond wrote: »
    Thanks tadpole. Wonder why does it say Tiscali?

Tiscali was bought by TalkTalk ages ago.

The Post Office is moving from BT to TalkTalk as their wholesale supplier.

Perhaps TalkTalk have yet to update their networks and databases to remove any link to the old Tiscali operation. The IP addresses that they are using for Post Office connections might have been "owned" by Tiscali in the past.
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tadpole wrote: »

She'll stay where she is. It is only Broadband customers that are being moved across to LLU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One minor thing I have noticed since the TalkTalk migration is that my DECT handset now shows the voicemail icon when there are messages on the 1571 system. Never did that under BT. Once the voicemails have been deleted (actually not sure if it is after they have been read or been deleted), the icon disappears. This is good, as I had been known to go a month without checking voicemails in the past ... oops ... ! The phone is from Panasonic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my migration letter today (29th) and it is for tomorrow yet the date when the letter was created was the 16th. My parents were migrated last week and they actually got 12 migration letters in the post all exactly the same! Just wondering how the service has been since you were migrated , anyone.