Cyclists - why do they annoy you?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Cycle lanes done correctly are useful. The city I live in has a big disused railway line running through some of it, which has been converted into a wide cycle and pedestrian route, which is largely completely separate from the road. It is used a lot by various types of cyclist, and forms part of my route to work.

Sadly, most of the cycle lanes aren't really that useful - they get filled up with debris and used as car parks if they are on the side of the road, and the shared-use paths can be impractical if they are busy.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Or the ability to turn your head?

why would i bother doing that?

i can flick a finger or two though. :)
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Those who ride on the pavement
    Those who ride at night with no lights and dark clothes
    Those who go through red lights
    Those who are on the phone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    There're people who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near motorbikes, let along bicycles. I saw some nobhead thinking he was a stunt man in an Italian made Mad Max2 rip off (remember them from the early 80s? You couldn't walk into a video library without seeing at least two of them on the shelves) by rdoing a wheelie, WITHOUT A HELMET, and going at a high speed along the road and then there was the guy who had the handle bars of his bike and can of Stella in one hand and his mobile in the oter and then he took a swig of Stella.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They ride on Pavements but they shouldn't. They are reserved for pedestrians.
    They ride on roads but they don't pay road tax. They cause nuisance for car drivers.
    The other day, I was nicely driving and was called an "idiot" by a cyclist. I shouted back "pay your roadtax nobhead". I felt good afterwards.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Lil_M wrote: »
    They ride on roads but they don't pay road tax. They cause nuisance for car drivers.
    The other day, I was nicely driving and was called an "idiot" by a cyclist. I shouted back "pay your roadtax nobhead". I felt good afterwards.
    Aw bless. Go back to page 3 about post 64 for a bit of a read and then come back here and see how proud we are of you for being the millionth person to get the road tax argument so hopelessly wrong.
  • gingerjackgingerjack Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Not just common sense but it is in the Highway Code

So is this the biggest offence...

You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.
    Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD reg 10(1)

As most are also motorists , can any explain why the sudden change in thinking ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Aw bless. Go back to page 3 about post 64 for a bit of a read and then come back here and see how proud we are of you for being the millionth person to get the road tax argument so hopelessly wrong.

It is technically VED. :rolleyes: It is road tax by any other name.
  • ChandelierChandelier Posts: 291
    Forum Member

They are irratating freeloaders thats a fair point.
    Forum Member
    It is not technically VED. :rolleyes: It is road tax by any other name.
    No. It's VED and goes into govt coffers like any other tax and it no more pays for roads than tobbaco duty pays for NHS lung cancer units. Roads are paid for out of the all the various taxes we all pay, and I pay a lot. If you imagine that we can ignore all taxes except VED to see who's allowed on the roads, you're well wide of the mark. Plus which it doesn't matter how you slice it payment does not equate to prioriy; if it did you'd best get used to getting out of the way of anybody in a bigger car than yours, and juggernauts. They pay most...

:)

Sorry it's :rolleyes: in these debates isn't it.
    Forum Member
    Chandelier wrote: »
    They are irratating freeloaders thats a fair point.
    Oh you're back. How did you go on with the crap cycle lanes? Still think cyclists should be legally obliged to use them regardless?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It's VED and goes into govt coffers like any other tax and it no more pays for roads than tobbaco duty pays for NHS lung cancer units. Roads are paid for out of the all the various taxes we all pay, and I pay a lot. If you imagine that we can ignore all taxes except VED to see who's allowed on the roads, you're well wide of the mark. Plus which it doesn't matter how you slice it payment does not equate to prioriy; if it did you'd best get used to getting out of the way of anybody in a bigger car than yours, and juggernauts. They pay most...

:)

Sorry it's :rolleyes: in these debates isn't it.

:rolleyes: Let's also add the tax you paid on a kitkat you once bought from sainsbury an' all:rolleyes:

You really are clutching at straws here. Cyclists don't pay road tax and do not deserve the road nor the pavement.
    Forum Member
    Oh you're back. How did you go on with the crap cycle lanes? Still think cyclists should be legally obliged to use them regardless?

The cycle lanes that I use, but the mid life crisis, lycra clad, £20,000 bike- cycling tragics do not use, are smooth, traffic fre,e pedestrian free, stretches of butter smooth asphalt loveliness. Yes it annoys me the "all the gear no idea" brigade dont use them and back traffic up.
    Forum Member

I watched xfactor on sky plus instead to be honest.
    Forum Member
    The cycle lanes that I use, but the mid life crisis, lycra clad, £20,000 bike- cycling tragics do not use, are smooth, traffic fre,e pedestrian free, stretches of butter smooth asphalt loveliness. Yes it annoys me the "all the gear no idea" brigade dont use them and back traffic up.
    That's very interesting but doesn't really answer the question of whether you agree that cyclists should be obliged in law to use any cycle path that exists alongside their chosen route, like you claimed earlier.
    Forum Member
    I watched xfactor on sky plus instead to be honest.
    Ah. Say no more. You were right earlier to treat my 'excellent' in a guarded manner btw. ;)
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lost count of the times that I've nearly been hit by a cyclist when getting off buses at bus stops or crossing the road at the lights or whilst walking on the pavement. I've never had this problem with car drivers. I'm not even a fan of car drivers because of the way they congest the roads but they do seem to be a lot more safety conscious (sp) than cyclists.
    Forum Member
    That's very interesting but doesn't really answer the question of whether you agree that cyclists should be obliged in law to use any cycle path that exists alongside their chosen route, like you claimed earlier?

Oh my cycle lane isnt a direct straight line from my point of departure to my destination mew mew mew....:cry:
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes: Let's also add the tax you paid on a kitkat you once bought from sainsbury an' all:rolleyes:

You really are clutching at straws here. Cyclists don't pay road tax and do not deserve the road nor the pavement.
    Ok. I am a cyclist. I also pay road tax. I pay lots of other taxes that allow the govt to apportion its billions as it sees fit. If it's so important to you that out of all the taxes we pay £200 of it uniquely proffers special status on the payer re the use of a shared resource, I can't help you any more. Next time I go to A&E though. I plan to wave my pay slip in the air as I push through, shouting look I've paid more NICs than these people. I demand priority. That'll work, won't it?
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That tax as you put it isn't hypothecated. You know nowt I'm afraid. Sozz and that.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is technically VED. :rolleyes: It is road tax by any other name.
    There is no technically. Since it's based on emissions, then it doesn't apply to a few cars.
    Cyclists don't pay road tax and do not deserve the road nor the pavement.
    On what basis don't they deserve the road? Lack of paying income tax, national insurance, vat, council tax?
  • PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm shocked to see many cyclists in my area not wearing a helmet. I came off my motorbike travelling at 25mph and the damage caused to my clothing and body was astounding.

To think that a cyclist, who can easily travel in excess of 30mph on certain roads not wearing protection is madness.

You can crack your skull on the pavement and kill yourself at any speed so it's shocking that some cyclists value their life so little as to not wear, at the very least, a helmet. That being said, if they were to get seriously injured due to lack of protection, I ain't going to be giving sympathy. I'll be the one standing at the side of the road saying "I told you so... :)"
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are these lanes and where can you buy a bike for 20k from?
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most of us also drive cars you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. I am a cyclist. I also pay road tax. I pay lots of other taxes that allow the govt to apportion its billions as it sees fit. If it's so important to you that out of all the taxes we pay £200 of it uniquely proffers special status on the payer re the use of a shared resource, I can't help you any more. Next time I go to A&E though. I plan to wave my pay slip in the air as I push through, shouting look I've paid more NICs than these people. I demand priority. That'll work, won't it?
    vosne wrote: »
    That tax as you put it isn't hypothecated. You know nowt I'm afraid. Sozz and that.

:rolleyes:

I stick by KitKat comments, Just because you pay "other taxes" doesn't give you the right to use roads. Pay your road tax or don't bother.

VED- My arse!