Options

The Trip to Italy

Comments

• Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    junipaire wrote: »
    Really I didn't think last night's was that bad, I would have it as pretty much the same level of humor than the rest of this series. Sometimes that does happen with comedies though is you sit down with too much anticipation of something going to be funny and it never seems to deliver to your expectations, then you watch it again in a more relaxed manner and you change your initial opinion.

Happens to me quite a bit with comedies, that were hilarious one week then the next episode you feel let down by them but later on, you see a repeat or watch again and it makes you laugh this time. But you can't really put your finger on why.

I think finding comedy funny often depends on your mood at the time.

I agree, comedy can be subjective and it may well partly depend on your mood when your watching it, whether you take to it so much that week or not. I've had the same thing where I was really keen on a show or episode one week and the next felt rather disappointed but I suppose if writing was totally top notch every week, maybe in a way we'd get too used to it, expect better each week and end up not necessarily appreciating some of the more subtle elements that works well in a particular epiosde?. Maybe anyway.

I particularly enjoyed the start of the episode, after having been on numerous holidays with my dad driving a hire car in to the centre of European cities and my mum referring to a road atlas/map, trying to guess the right lanes, with all the cars blocking us in and cutting us up etc. and not enough road signs. That brought back memories lol.
    logansdad wrote: »
    Is this the first show on the beeb to tackle Jimmy Saville? and all the allegations?
    Lo

As well as the other shows mentioned, he was mentioned in an episode of the last series of Outnumbered shown the other month (by Hugh Dennis who was/is well known for his Savile impersonation too, ironically).
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luca wrote: »
    What hacked me off about last night's watching paint dry episode, was that I'd previously sung the praises of the series to my wife, telling her how rip-roaringly hilarious it was and how much she'd love to watch it.

So we sat down, glass of wine in all four hands, and waited for the fun to begin. Trouble is, it didn't.

I generally like the show, but recommending it to someone on the basis of it being 'rip-roaringly hilarious' is definitely setting up false expectations. Even at its best it's not that kind of comedy at all. It's laid-back, 'hang-out' humour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed that episode personally - I thought it was the best of the series so far.

I like their one-upmanship generally when it comes to impressions, but it seems to be heightened even more when they're trying to impress two attractive women with it as well. Very funny. :D Rob's deaf Marlon Brando was a personal highlight.

Oh, and I never thought I'd hear another Jimmy Savile impression on TV again - I bet they must have done a lot of persuading to keep that in!
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH and I watched this last night for the first time, having read good things about it. Is it supposed to be funny? I found it very self indulgent and 'luvvie'. I thought the driving scenes were enjoyably manic, and the restaurant looked good, but apart from that - well, I don't think we'll bother again.

Like others, I'd recommended this second series to friends on the basis that the first series was so good. Now I'm embarrassed, it's nothing like as good. The last episode was the final straw for me, I'm going to have to apologise to anyone who took my advice and watched it.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed that episode personally - I thought it was the best of the series so far.

I like their one-upmanship generally when it comes to impressions, but it seems to be heightened even more when they're trying to impress two attractive women with it as well. Very funny. :D Rob's deaf Marlon Brando was a personal highlight.

Oh, and I never thought I'd hear another Jimmy Savile impression on TV again - I bet they must have done a lot of persuading to keep that in!

Like Luca said, I thought the inclusion of the two women was a big factor in the most recent episode being poor. Coogan and Brydon joking about being over the hill in terms of wooing the ladies is funny. Watching them try to out-do each other to impress women wasn't. I've seen it happen in real life with my male friends and seeing it in a TV show is no less cringeworthy.

There were too many references to the likes of Shelley and Byron last week as well. A few references to their lives here and there, which bear relevance to the script and/or Coogan and Brydon's lives is fine but it felt like I was watching a BBC Four documentary that tried to play for laughs, which is an idea that sounds horrible on paper and was in practice!
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like others, I'd recommended this second series to friends on the basis that the first series was so good. Now I'm embarrassed, it's nothing like as good. The last episode was the final straw for me, I'm going to have to apologise to anyone who took my advice and watched it.

Don't be embarrassed. We all have different opinions and maybe they actually had the temerity to disagree with you and liked it.

I'm enjoying this series immensely, it's a gorgeous way to spend half an hour. Guess I'm the winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be embarrassed. We all have different opinions and maybe they actually had the temerity to disagree with you and liked it.

I'm enjoying this series immensely, it's a gorgeous way to spend half an hour. Guess I'm the winner.

Yes, you could be right. At least the scenery is gorgeous. I'm looking foward to them reaching the Amalfi coast, we've stayed around there quite a few times..beautiful.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Yes, you could be right. At least the scenery is gorgeous. I'm looking foward to them reaching the Amalfi coast, we've stayed around there quite a few times..beautiful.

Yup me too. It may have been 13 years ago when we visited but it got me excited when they mentioned it. Pompeii too. Is that a cue for them to find a sophisticated way of doing Franke Howerd impressions btw ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Yup me too. It may have been 13 years ago when we visited but it got me excited when they mentioned it. Pompeii too. Is that a cue for them to find a sophisticated way of doing Franke Howerd impressions btw ?

We stayed in Ravello a couple of times, a favourite haunt of Humphrey Bogart and Greta Garbo, so plenty of opportunities there as well. :)
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    We stayed in Ravello a couple of times, a favourite haunt of Humphrey Bogart and Greta Garbo, so plenty of opportunities there as well. :)

Beautiful place. We honeymooned in Ravello.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm in the camp that this was the worst episode of the series.

I didn't think ep1 was great but it was ok. Then ep2 I enjoyed a lot - but it seemed to have peaked for me at ep2 and has gone downhill in the last 2.

I only hope that the next 2 improve again.

I also have a minor niggle with the Alanis Morrisette theme. I know it's part of the plot that the iPod dock or whatever is broken and they only have the one CD but why not just buy another CD? I'm sure they're available in Italy. :p
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy the last episode very much. I guess it's a knive edge kind of thing but, whilst I've enjoyed the previous episodes very much, It suddenly felt a bit smug and too pleased with itself.

The two women, who sycophantically laughed at everything Steve and Rob said during the meal, didn't ring true either ... I think people would actually get a bit sick of the routine if they had to sit through it for any length of time.
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ Exactly. That's the problem - you had two females turning up out of the blue who weren't established characters and who were suddenly part of the action. They sat there laughing inanely most of the time, which I felt was patronising to them and us.

When one of them mentioned that she was pregnant I thought "who gives a shit, I've no idea who you are."

It's funny how even seasoned professional writers, performers and directors can screw up on the fundamentals sometimes. I've loved this series up to the last episode. Let's hope it picks up for the finale.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ Exactly. That's the problem - you had two females turning up out of the blue who weren't established characters and who were suddenly part of the action. They sat there laughing inanely most of the time, which I felt was patronising to them and us.

When one of them mentioned that she was pregnant I thought "who gives a shit, I've no idea who you are."

It's funny how even seasoned professional writers, performers and directors can screw up on the fundamentals sometimes. I've loved this series up to the last episode. Let's hope it picks up for the finale.

In my opinion they haven't screwed up the fundamentals at all.

But then maybe your opinion is more important than mine.
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it probably is.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two women were established by the show's standards, they were in series 1.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two women were both in series 1. One is an agent (Coogan's I think) the other a photographer.

I'm not sure that those criticising the episode really get what the program is.

It isn't about funny impressions. Coogan and Brydon are spoofing themselves. Were it always to be just the two of them some spoof opportunities would be lost.

The program is not intended to be laugh out loud funny either. That isn't what it is.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in the last episode Steve and Rob should visit an Italian couture house and both get fancy new outfits. Only they're not really wearing anything and are walking around totally naked, but everyone is telling them how fantastic they look in their new clothes and they believe it.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I think in the last episode Steve and Rob should visit an Italian couture house and both get fancy new outfits. Only they're not really wearing anything and are walking around totally naked, but everyone is telling them how fantastic they look in their new clothes and they believe it.

I hope you didn't spend too much time thinking that one up because it doesn't really work, does it? :p
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree, it killed the mood stone dead. One of the women was gamely trying to be funny (and wasn't), the other didn't really get what was going on so kept things 'professional'. In my experience that's pretty much true to life - which is why I also agree with Mr X:
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »

It isn't about funny impressions. Coogan and Brydon are spoofing themselves. Were it always to be just the two of them some spoof opportunities would be lost.

The program is not intended to be laugh out loud funny either. That isn't what it is.
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... One of the women was gamely trying to be funny (and wasn't), the other didn't really get what was going on so kept things 'professional'.

I think that was deliberate.

There's the "showbiz power" relationship between Coogan the erstwhile Hollywood star, and Brydon the game show host and the tension that causes. Then you have the women who both know they are subservient to both Coogan and Brydon and how they deal with their situations.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that's kinda my point NickL. the whole show is about teasing you with what's 'real', what's fictional, what's celebrity persona, and what's just there for pure comedy.

What did come across was that the women couldn't join in with the free-flowing, improv-style banter. Whether that's because they really can't do it, or the programme's making some kind of point, I'm not sure any of us are in a position to say. It made for awkward rather than funny viewing, but then that's a very British form of comedy.

Anyway, fannying around aside, I prefer the straightforward first series, which was about them doing impressions and scoring points off each other.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    The two women were both in series 1. One is an agent (Coogan's I think) the other a photographer.

Well i've watched every episode aired so i'm pretty sure that I 'get it'. Why is it that when people criticise a show people accuse them of not 'getting it'?
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well i've watched every episode aired so i'm pretty sure that I 'get it'. Why is it that when people criticise a show people accuse them of not 'getting it'?

Maybe you do but it's pretty clear a lot don't.
  • Options
    gary217gary217 Posts: 267
    Forum Member

I'd not seen the first series but watched a couple of this series and thought it was boring, egotistical, self-centred cr@p. Hope they didn't get paid for it, but they probably did.