Gove axes 'Of Mice and Men', 'To Kill a Mockingbird' from English GCSEs

Comments

• Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    ` It's wont to making children think`??
    reading English literature would I'm sure improve ones grammar.
    :(

I am sure the poster made a typing error. English literature doesnt improve grammar. It broadens your mind, exposes one to different cultlures, concepts, stories, way of life tc. English Language lessons improve grammar. That is why grammar lessons are back in primary schools. Oh I hope I havent made any mistakes. I never re-read my posts.:o:D
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with Vaughan Williams, topped the Classic fm chart this year if I recall.

He certainly did (yay!). I love the 'Lark ...' but even so, I was desperate for some Beethoven at #1! (I'm still rooting for the 'Pastoral' ...)
    "Lord of the Flies" should be compulsory at 15 as an indicator of what adult life is like, particularly in the workplace.

We read this at school. it was an amazing book. We read each chapter and then had to write a summation of it and our opinions before going onto the next. We had an amazing English teacher who really loved English and loved teaching and made lessons something to look forward to. We also read 'Hobsons Choice' (and saw the film). That was utterly brilliant.
    I would have loved The Chalet School books to have been part of the school curriculum in the 50's/60's, we could read them but only for pleasure.

Oh, I loved, loved, loved The Chalet School books. I read all of them, i think. Used to get them from the library every two weeks.
    bornfree wrote: »
    Exactly. I know now that I have the opportunity to see performances and have a better understanding, I enjoy Shakespeare.

I've grown to love Shakespeare since seeing some of his plays. There's a lot of fun can be had with the way certain troupes interpret them!
    I am sure the poster made a typing error. English literature doesnt improve grammar. It broadens your mind, exposes one to different cultlures, concepts, stories, way of life tc. English Language lessons improve grammar. That is why grammar lessons are back in primary schools. Oh I hope I havent made any mistakes. I never re-read my posts.:o:D

I wish something would improve grammar. I realise that it's not easy for everyone but as someone who adores English and loves the written word and has been (in the past) an amateur scribe, I hate the way it is butchered and mis-used. 'their' for 'there', 'of' for 'have' (my pet hate) and the poor over-used apostrophe ('it's' - when the writer means 'its' sans the apostrophe).

As for 'banning' - I think people have taken this word and run with it. If these books had been 'banned' they would not be available anywhere. 'Banning' of books (and burning of them as well) was what took place in Nazi Germany and we don't live there, or anywhere close to it.

What seems to have happened is that those responsible for setting the National Curriculum have removed them from the reading list. It does NOT follow that they have been 'banned'. And i think we have to be very careful about what we accuse people of, especially in light of history (as already mentioned).

The books mentioned certainly weren't on the curriculum when I was at school! And I don't think I have suffered the lack of them. :)

I'm no fan of Gove - i think like his NHS counterpart, he has interfered far too much with teaching and like the NHS (and the police), it seems targets are more important than actual teaching (care for the patient in the NHS). I just wish all politicians would stop tinkering with what they don't know about, and do something about the things that they are supposed to be elected into power to effect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you have nominated yourself as a spokesman for `Biffo the Bear`
    But Im impressed that you are sure of what another poster is thinking. Quite a remarkable feat :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    I presume you have nominated yourself as a spokesman for `Biffo the Bear`
    But Im impressed that you are sure of what another poster is thinking. Quite a remarkable feat :o:D

I am not a spokes person for anyone:confused: I see typing errors and ignore them because I make them too. People post on here. They don't submit PhD thesis.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He certainly did (yay!). I love the 'Lark ...' but even so, I was desperate for some Beethoven at #1! (I'm still rooting for the 'Pastoral' ...)

We read this at school. it was an amazing book. We read each chapter and then had to write a summation of it and our opinions before going onto the next. We had an amazing English teacher who really loved English and loved teaching and made lessons something to look forward to. We also read 'Hobsons Choice' (and saw the film). That was utterly brilliant.

Oh, I loved, loved, loved The Chalet School books. I read all of them, i think. Used to get them from the library every two weeks.

I've grown to love Shakespeare since seeing some of his plays. There's a lot of fun can be had with the way certain troupes interpret them!

I wish something would improve grammar. I realise that it's not easy for everyone but as someone who adores English and loves the written word and has been (in the past) an amateur scribe, I hate the way it is butchered and mis-used. 'their' for 'there', 'of' for 'have' (my pet hate) and the poor over-used apostrophe ('it's' - when the writer means 'its' sans the apostrophe).

As for 'banning' - I think people have taken this word and run with it. If these books had been 'banned' they would not be available anywhere. 'Banning' of books (and burning of them as well) was what took place in Nazi Germany and we don't live there, or anywhere close to it.

What seems to have happened is that those responsible for setting the National Curriculum have removed them from the reading list. It does NOT follow that they have been 'banned'. And i think we have to be very careful about what we accuse people of, especially in light of history (as already mentioned).

The books mentioned certainly weren't on the curriculum when I was at school! And I don't think I have suffered the lack of them. :)

I'm no fan of Gove - i think like his NHS counterpart, he has interfered far too much with teaching and like the NHS (and the police), it seems targets are more important than actual teaching (care for the patient in the NHS). I just wish all politicians would stop tinkering with what they don't know about, and do something about the things that they are supposed to be elected into power to effect.

I entirely agree with you. According to this article, the OCR claim that Michael Gove personally intervened because of his hate for John Steinbeck. Now why would that be?
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/27/michael-gove-denies-ban-of-american-novels-from-gcse.

Michael Gove IMO is singlehandedly responsible for turning off thousands from reading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I entirely agree with you. According to this article, the OCR claim that Michael Gove personally intervened because of his hate for John Steinbeck. Now why would that be?
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/27/michael-gove-denies-ban-of-american-novels-from-gcse.

Michael Gove IMO is singlehandedly responsible for turning off thousands from reading.

Well, surely there are hundreds of other books pupils can read? And gain something from?

As I say, neither book was on our school curriculum and I don't feel that I suffered for the lack of them.

I think what is more needed is the engagement of children by teachers (and I'm not saying teachers don't do this!) like the one we had, who encouraged us to use our imaginations and to read other books than those which WERE on the curriculum. Of course, it helps if parents are involved/engaged too. I was lucky. both my parents loved to read to me and encouraged me to read.

I think various politicians (from ALL parties) have interfered too much in education, healthcare and the police over the last few years and have made it difficult for those delivering the services to do so effectively because of 'ticking boxes' and endless targets.

I think varying the books available on the curriculum is actually a good idea, personally. Because there are a whole lot of classics out there which need to be examined by those who are learning English.
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why is he? Because 'Of mice and men' is no longer on one examination boards reading list?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is he? Because 'Of mice and men' is no longer on one examination boards reading list?

I said in IMO. 'Of mice and Men' is just something we are discussing. I am not stopping you from worshipping Mr Gove. Don't like the man, he know nothing about education. He basis everything on his boarding school education. Yes there are plenty of books apart from the ones mentioned. But the man has got to stop interfering. Just because he doesn't like a writer doesn't mean he has to stop schools from using the books. Did you read the guardian link? I don't think so. But then you don't have to. You have the freedom not to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, surely there are hundreds of other books pupils can read? And gain something from?

As I say, neither book was on our school curriculum and I don't feel that I suffered for the lack of them.

I think what is more needed is the engagement of children by teachers (and I'm not saying teachers don't do this!) like the one we had, who encouraged us to use our imaginations and to read other books than those which WERE on the curriculum. Of course, it helps if parents are involved/engaged too. I was lucky. both my parents loved to read to me and encouraged me to read.

I think various politicians (from ALL parties) have interfered too much in education, healthcare and the police over the last few years and have made it difficult for those delivering the services to do so effectively because of 'ticking boxes' and endless targets.

I think varying the books available on the curriculum is actually a good idea, personally. Because there are a whole lot of classics out there which need to be examined by those who are learning English.

Yes I get your point, but it is really hard to get young adults to take an interest in reading. Like I have said so many times, when young people are forced to do something they rebel. I was growing up in the 80's and I didn't rebel. But then like I said I was encouraged to read at home. The responsibility of encouraging young adults to enjoy reading did not rest in the hands of the teachers. My parents played a huge part in my love for reading.;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually Ecckles is perfectly correct in their phrase 'It's wont to making children think'

The word 'wont' means 'likely to do something : having a tendency to do something' and it was used in it's correct context.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said in IMO. 'Of mice and Men' is just something we are discussing. I am not stopping you from worshipping Mr Gove. Don't like the man, he know nothing about education. He basis everything on his boarding school education. Yes there are plenty of books apart from the ones mentioned. But the man has got to stop interfering. Just because he doesn't like a writer doesn't mean he has to stop schools from using the books. Did you read the guardian link? I don't think so. But then you don't have to. You have the freedom not to.

I worship Gove because I asked a question of you? Using IMO doesn't mean I won't question a staggering leap of logic you must have needed a pole to help you vault to. And I have read the guardian link, kinda strange you assume I haven't. He never asked anyone to stop using any book, he just removed them from the prescribed list. OCR claimed he didn't like it, which he has said is untrue. At no point has anything been banned by anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worship Gove because I asked a question of you? Using IMO doesn't mean I won't question a staggering leap of logic you must have needed a pole to help you vault to. And I have read the guardian link, kinda strange you assume I haven't. He never asked anyone to stop using any book, he just removed them from the prescribed list. OCR claimed he didn't like it, which he has said is untrue. At no point has anything been banned by anyone.

I think you are really rude. I get the impression that you are one of those people who must always have the last word. And I believe you haven't read the link well other wise you wouldn't be posting this. You asked a stupid question and I answered which I will not be doing in a hurry.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, reminds me of some of the teachers I had, must never be questioned, is always right and when you point out their failings they throw a hissy fit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of some of the parents, when you don't agree with them about their little darlings they all gang up on the teachers. I rest my case.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG what a horrible thing to say about young people. No wonder the young rebel :o:o

How so?

Do we teach maths guided by those who have no interest in the subject?

Admittedly, that might be a popular move from the viewpoint of the students, their teachers would be "BFF".:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are really rude. I get the impression that you are one of those people who must always have the last word. And I believe you haven't read the link well other wise you wouldn't be posting this. You asked a stupid question and I answered which I will not be doing in a hurry.

No you didn't. You started by making out I worship Gove then chucked a hissy fit. Now you're accusing me of being rude? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See the new curriculum. Not much different to the old apart from some old fashioned ways of adding up and dividing. And yes the Government likes schools to follow the new Maths, English and Science framework KS1 to 4. Unless of course the school is an academy, free school or a private school.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-framework-for-key-stages-1-to-4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you didn't. You started by making out I worship Gove then chucked a hissy fit. Now you're accusing me of being rude? :confused:

deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of some of the parents, when you don't agree with them about their little darlings they all gang up on the teachers. I rest my case.

You rest what case? :confused:
  • Options
    Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of Mice and Men is about the poor being exploited by the rich. To Kill a Mockingbird is about how prejudice and mob mentality can cloud people's judgement.

I can see why some in the Tory party might not want these books being taught.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of Mice and Men is about the poor being exploited by the rich. To Kill a Mockingbird is about how prejudice and mob mentality can cloud people's judgement.

Thank you:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let's not pretend that the Labour party is any better. They're not excactly from 'poor' backgrounds. :)

i do so hate tribal politics. Almost as much as I hate politicians - who never keep promises and lie to get into power, then abuse that power once they get there - regardless of which party they are from.

I do think that there is a certain element of personal interpretation of the facts in this thread. But that was ever so. And tribal politics does cloud judgement.

I can proudly claim to be a loather of all colours of the political spectrum, aside from green! :)
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So that's what it comes down to?

There can be no critical assessment of whether something has worth as long as it has the right message?

Do you think for a second that Gove wasn't aware of how this will be portrayed?
    Or for that matter, the reasons why these books have been so long on the list because God help the poor sap who dares to suggest there are better alternatives to study.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not pretend that the Labour party is any better. They're not excactly from 'poor' backgrounds. :)

i do so hate tribal politics. Almost as much as I hate politicians - who never keep promises and lie to get into power, then abuse that power once they get there - regardless of which party they are from.

I do think that there is a certain element of personal interpretation of the facts in this thread. But that was ever so. And tribal politics does cloud judgement.

I can proudly claim to be a loather of all colours of the political spectrum, aside from green! :)

A good point, well made.

I find it strange that some FMs seem to believe that there may be some form of conspiracy to control the minds of the youth, not based on evidence, but because of their own blinkered view of "the other side".