Options

small things that make you feel old

Comments

• Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I still have my old toploader along with some old VHS cassettes stored under my bed as well as an old audio cassette player. When my son is old enough to understand and appreciate it, I'm gonna get it out and show him how it works and show him how to make a mix tape.

I used to love plugging in a mic and pretending to be a DJ and I'd spend hours recording myself doing mock interviews with myself doing impressions of other people. I remember my dad had an old reel to reel recorder the same as this one which I'd spend all night playing around with.

3.bp.blogspot.com/-3C4exsbTmQc/UxK6ukvFQBI/AAAAAAAACUA/3EPR1G_cGEc/s1600/Blog+Grundig+open+view.JPG

I USED TO DO THAT!

Well sorto. I used to record the top 40 on my old alba double cassete deck (it even had an "Ultra" fast forward, that would just rip your tapes to shit in seconds), and when the DJ was on I would cut in with a cheap mic and pretend I was doing the DJing.

Its odd but thats where my musical life began, dirty TDKs or old tapes with cellotape over the copyright holes, badly stretched music that had crackles and all sorts on. Still loved it, and before a big journey or holiday making some mix tapes. It was a proper ritual as well, lining up all the tracks to flow as best as they could, fishing out my Papas old LPs for my metal fix on the long trip to Girvan. Oh the days.
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meeting adults that were born in the 90's
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even Ritchie from 5ive? I agree on the rest of them though.

Apart from Abz, who I think is gorgeous, but he's an acquired taste I think lol.

Erm small things that make me feel old. My younger brother. Every time he comes over from the US he will make a dig about how much older I look and on one occasion "god you're turning into mum" which was deeply upsetting lol.

Next time he comes, pretend not to recognise him, then express horror at how quickly he has aged :)
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    I think the thing that most makes me feel old is when my teenage girls are having a big argument over makeup/straighteners etc, or when they are arguing back with me.
    I just recall a mirror reflection of me being in their shoes arguing with my Mum because I knew best.:o
    Because now I have to be the Adult in these situations and sometimes don't know how to deal with it.:(
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I USED TO DO THAT!

Well sorto. I used to record the top 40 on my old alba double cassete deck (it even had an "Ultra" fast forward, that would just rip your tapes to shit in seconds), and when the DJ was on I would cut in with a cheap mic and pretend I was doing the DJing.

Its odd but thats where my musical life began, dirty TDKs or old tapes with cellotape over the copyright holes, badly stretched music that had crackles and all sorts on. Still loved it, and before a big journey or holiday making some mix tapes. It was a proper ritual as well, lining up all the tracks to flow as best as they could, fishing out my Papas old LPs for my metal fix on the long trip to Girvan. Oh the days.

I did this!!!

"And falling two places to number three is.... In at number two, we have... WHO will be THIS weeks number one?!"

I knew all the lingo, I could have gone pro
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    When I complete an online form and I have to scroll down to the year of my birth, it seems to take a while to get there... 1973 to be precise.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

Except I have to scroll back even further than you :o
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Not even Ritchie from 5ive? I agree on the rest of them though.

Apart from Abz, who I think is gorgeous, but he's an acquired taste I think lol.

Erm small things that make me feel old. My younger brother. Every time he comes over from the US he will make a dig about how much older I look and on one occasion "god you're turning into mum" which was deeply upsetting lol.

I didn't even like Ritchie when I was a kid!

I do have tickets to the Big Reunion tour though it's a bitter sweet mixture of nostalgia and OMG I'm old :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I was going to say the exact same thing.

Except I have to scroll back even further than you :o
    Spare a thought for me then. :(
  • Options
    SmoojSmooj Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these are great. I definitely have felt old scrolling down to find my year of birth on a website form, but perhaps the thing which makes me feel older than anything, is being in a street or maybe even on holiday where they are handing out flyers for a bar or club night... they seem to be handing them to everyone, and then as you walk past, they just completely ignore you and you are now not just old, but invisible.
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistygal wrote: »
    I think the thing that most makes me feel old is when my teenage girls are having a big argument over makeup/straighteners etc, or when they are arguing back with me.
    I just recall a mirror reflection of me being in their shoes arguing with my Mum because I knew best.:o(

Same here. Another one is when something old comes on telly and I catch myself saying to them 'This was on when I was a kid'. I can hear my mum saying exactly the same thing about some programme of her youth to me!

My youngest is eleven - she was a 'surprise' when the youngest of the other three was already nearly ten and so I'm used to being the oldest mum in the playground (even though I don't usually think of myself that way!). She plays with the kids next door a lot, the oldest of which is about eight. We all get on so well with these neighbours now that we even went on holiday together last year and think of ourselves as 'equal' and pretty much just like each other in nearly every way. It was a real shock when it came up during conversation over drinks one night that next-door-mum was 29 (only five years older than my oldest!). I knew she was younger than me, but a full twenty years younger than I am? Yikes :o

One more I've just remembered is when I was looking at the girl's dresses in Asda a couple of years ago for my youngest. As I held one away from the rail for a closer look, a woman next to me said 'That's pretty. For your grand-daughter..?' :o
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Watching a scene from "The Likely Lads" last week on the "50 years of BBC 2 comedy" show, and being told that it was from 1964.

It was one of my all-time favourite comedies... I watched the original series... and it was 50 years ago!!! :o:o:o
    :o
  • Options
    Janet29Janet29 Posts: 22,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at work when i casually mention something and they give me a blank look like im making it up!

They had never heard of The Clangers, Capt Pugwash or Trumpton! nor had they heard of James Cagney..when i said Top of the world Ma :( i seem to live in a world of my own :D
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be young adults that will never have known life without the internet, not only when you had to actually look in books for things, but when we used the Encarta disk to search for things before most households had the internet!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finding I've bought a number of new t-shirts that are all plain colours with no "witty" logos on them ..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    Games and websites can do this to you.

Like Facebook is 10 years
    Twitter is 8 years (I think)
    Pokemon is 16 years

:o

Oh and the iPod is 13 years old :o
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Meeting adults that were born in the 90's

:o This. :(:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    There was something just this week, actually. I am a big tennis fan, and hearing that Daniela Hantuchova was the oldest player left in the Roland Garros women's draw (she's since been eliminated) made me feel utterly ancient. I remember when she was an up-and-coming teen sensation (this was a result of early defeats for Williams sisters, etc, but still, it hurt a little bit.. 😉 )

Then there was the time a 20-something (ex)colleague didn't appear to have heard of Duran Duran..
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    My 29 hubby came home from work recently feeling old because one of his work friends parents were telling him about "these tape things that you had to put into a machine to record TV shows", and he didn't understand what they were.
    Everyone at work was trying to explain to him that these "things" were VHS tapes and trying to explain how they worked.

That seems unusual. I'm 24 well within the time-period of VHS recorders so I don't know why your husband can't remember? :confused:
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Yes. I have a small thing that makes me feel old!!
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    That seems unusual. I'm 24 well within the time-period of VHS recorders so I don't know why your husband can't remember? :confused:

Oh, sorry, its not my husband that can't remember, its his 18 year old work mate, my husband was one of the people trying to explain to him what a vhs was.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    Oh, sorry, its not my husband that can't remember, its his 18 year old work mate, my husband was one of the people trying to explain to him what a vhs was.

It is ignorance rather than age as VHS tapes and recorders are still around and available.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarina111 wrote: »
    There was something just this week, actually. I am a big tennis fan, and hearing that Daniela Hantuchova was the oldest player left in the Roland Garros women's draw (she's since been eliminated) made me feel utterly ancient. I remember when she was an up-and-coming teen sensation (this was a result of early defeats for Williams sisters, etc, but still, it hurt a little bit.. �� )

That's another one, sports stars that I saw playing live at the peak of their careers who are now commentators and pundits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My joints aching due to Hypothyroidism. Or at least i think it's down to that.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new thread about Spotty Dog :kitty:
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finding out my all time favourite single - 'I Know Him So Well - Barbara Dickson and Elaine Paige' Was released 30 years ago come January.