Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a pet peeve of mine as well, I tend to avoid giving high points (or any points at all for that matter) to songs which are too familiar or mainstream. The reason I like this contest is because it helps me discover new songs that I wouldn't have heard anywhere else, I wouldn't participate in it otherwise.

Then again I hate all things mainstream anyway. :p

I usually separate the ones I already know and whittle those down to about 5 before I even listen to the rest.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,284
    Forum Member
    Working my way through the playlist and preparing a review whilst watching the footy. I can confidently say that I won't be struggling for songs to vote for, so you can all breathe easy with that knowledge, the hard part will be deciding exactly which ones!
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    It sounds horrendous

You really don't have a clue about anything.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    You really don't have a clue about anything.

Charming :D
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Working my way through the playlist and preparing a review whilst watching the footy. I can confidently say that I won't be struggling for songs to vote for, so you can all breathe easy with that knowledge, the hard part will be deciding exactly which ones!

Me too cept for the Football bit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phills Review

Gin Wigmore Someone's been watching that netflix prison drama , It is a good song though.
    Millionaires Starts off quite decent then it just gets repetitive and annoying fast
    5 Seconds of Summer This is just terrible, its just a typical paint by numbers approach with bits written just for use in adverts.
    Amélie Piovoso I really liked that she has a great voice.
    Annalisa This is another I really enjoyed and a another great voice.
    Foxes This was building along nicely but then kinda went flat and spiralled into repetitiveness
    Idina Menzel Really don't get this, its really average and really doesn't make me want to see the film
    NeAngeli Don't see what the talking bit was but otherwise I liked it
    Anna Calvi & David Byrne Was just a bit too slow for me.
    Agnetha Fältskog Not as good as her last song but I still like it and this is really close to the ABBA stuff.
    Demi Lovato really great pop song, never really paid attention to Demi before but if all her songs are as good as this that might change.
    Mike Mago this was OK.
    Gerald Joling Have to laugh at the cheesiness but its quite fun.
    Mel C I do wish this was the studio version but still this is good.
    Anatacia Nice to see she's come through stronger than ever with an excellent song and she's still got the big belty vocals, its a shame this didn't chart better but I suppose she's on the wrong side of 30 for mainstream radio.
    The Mowgli's Could see something like this at Eurovision actually, its decent.
    Lauriana May This is great its really catchy
    Molly Aww poor molly, lets hope she can do a lot better here than at the real thing she really has a great voice and I like the song.
    Diana Haddad Nice to hear something ethnic, would have done well in the 2005/06 Eurovision's
    Barbra Streisand It might be sacrilege but I found this incredibly boring.
    Eivør This is more like it
    Katy B This really does sound like a Eurovision song, maybe we will get her one year.
    Tuomas Holopainen I just feel this went on far too long and completely lost me
    Helene Fischer For a German language pop song this is pretty good
    Grizfolk This was alright.
    Ilse DeLange Showing she doesn't need Waylon but they are still great together, really liked this it was sweat.
    Will Varley I enjoyed the video a lot more than the song but I did like the song.
    Omnia Thought I was goner like this but I don't sorry.
    Nico & Vinz This is decent another where I like the video more than the song.
    BABYMETAL This is just too weird
    IIDA I really liked this
    Jolin Tsai This was a really nice surprise I really enjoyed this.
    Xristina Koletsa Eurovision has been lacking in ethnopop recently I thought this was good.
    Jessica Mauboy This is really good I'm glad she performed at Eurovision cos she has a really good voice and she seemed to really embrace the show.
    Lonnie Donegan Had to laugh at this, they don't make em like this any more
    Jimmy Fontana Wasn't really a fan of that though would be the worst wedding ever.
    Métisse Decent enough background music
    Deuce The video is absolutely bizarre and those outfits :o the 90's was no excuse for them, I like the song though.
    Altered Images This is just crazy, looks like they formed in a psychiatric ward and have been let out for the day, was fun though .
    John Legend Hate this, it just drones on and on.
    Indila heard this the other month on the other channel thought it was all right at first then went off it quickly after multiple listens but actually quite liking it now

That's my review if you don't like it then I'm sorry, its nothing personal :)
  • Options
    QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm already beginning to regret my choice for a far superior song by the same artist. Damnnnnn :(
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'll use these contests to send the songs I'd love to send to DSFE but I know won't do well :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brace yourselves! -

Review time:

1. Gin Wigmore - Black Sheep - Oooh it's that song from the Orange Is The New Black trailer! :D Her accent is even more affected than Paloma Faith's!

2. Millionaires - Talk Shit - Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. "Shut up c***, I'll cut your tongue!" Did Pauline from Big Brother write this song?

3. 5 Seconds Of Summer - She Looks So Perfect - Wannabe Busted. "She looks so perfect standing there in my American Apparel underwear", do they have a fetish for women in drag? :eek: Annoyingly catchy though.

4. Amélie Piovoso - Donne-moi - She likes her ink! This is definitely a grower.

5. Annalisa - Sento solo il presente - Dear Italy, please send Annalisa next year, thanks.

6. Foxes - Talking To Ghosts - Does a bad Foxes song exist? This a bit darker than some of her other stuff, but it's still good.

7. Idina Menzel - Let It Go - Kill. Me. Now. The film is great, but I'm really over this song now.

8. neAngely - ON cells - Hmmm it's no Courageous. Not even sex can sell this one, especially since I'm not entirely sure still how womanly they are... :blush:

9. Anna Calvi & David Byrne - Strange Weather - Well this is very maudlin, I wouldn't even use this as a funeral song.

10. Agnetha Fältskog - Dance Your Pain Away - "Dance your pain away" how apt after that last mournful dirge, thank you Agnetha for taking away the suicidal thoughts! :D

11. Demi Lovato - Neon Lights - Something for everyone with all those hot dancers and Demi doesn't look bad either! ;) She really needs to be careful with the dulux colour chart process that her hair is going through, it'll fall out!

12. Mike Mago - The Show - I don't really need 2 and a half minutes of arses singing to me.

13. Gerard Joling - RIO - You were 'this' close to getting a full on vitriolic rant about this song and how many other World Cup songs are better, but I've decided I love it! :eek:

14. Mel C - I Turn To You - Easily the best singer of the Spice Girls. Love this song, such fond summer memories of when I were a young lass!

15. Anastacia - Stupid Little Things - I do enjoy a good fashion show with my music videos. Has Anastacia discovered Sinitta's fountain of youth, woman just refuses to age! Cracking tune.

16. The Mowgli's - San Francisco
    - Is this an advert for Match.com? I hate videos that go all out to be as quirky as possible.

17. Lauriana Mae - Like a Drum (Beat It) - Sounds like she's gagging for it based on those lyrics. Couldn't listen to a whole album of that voice.

18. Molly - Just Like Her - Awww it's our Molls and she's got a bit of a country twang going on in that chorus.

19. Diana Haddad - La Fiesta - Woohoo a nice bit of Lebanese turbo-folk. Dear Lebanon, if you ever decide to #JoinUs, please send her!

20. Barbra Streisand - Woman In Love - I didn't need to see Babs getting it on with Jesus, she looked good back in the day though.

21. Eivør - Rain - Moody, but catchy. Reminds me of Lykke Li.

22. Katy B - Crying For No Reason - It's alright, bit too ballady for my taste. On A Mission is still her best song.

23. Tuomas Holopainen - A Lifetime of Adventure - Plonks along nicely, but it's all about that woman's voice really.

24. Helene Fischer - Atemlos durch die Nacht - Work it Helene. Germany look no further, this is your woman! The woos make me laugh! :D

25. Grizfolk - Way Back When - Repetitive tune.

26. Ilse DeLange - Miracle - It's like the sequel to when old skool Babs was getting laid earlier on in the playlist!

27. Will Varley - Weddings & Wars - It's like Vance Joy's Riptide for having a very literal music video. Sadly there's not much to this one beyond the video game style.

28. Omnia - Alive - I like the folky beat. I feel like I'm in the midst of a Pagan sacrifice.

29. Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong - Loved the tribes reaction to his broken telly, I'm surprised he didn't get lynched! Good beat, but it did go on forever.

30. BABYMETAL - Megitsune - Heavy metal Hello Kitty! :D Well this has certainly woke me up. In a bizarre twist of fate I actually really like this despite thinking the girl from The Ring is going to show up any minute.

31. IIDA - Hands - Flashbacks to A Dal with the sign language! :eek:

32. Jolin Tsai - Fantasy - Wow this could easily be a Nicole Scherzinger track, (if it was in English obvs).

33. Xristina Koletsa - Ekti Esthisi - So catchy, I don't half miss the ethnic club beats in Eurovision.

34. Jessica Mauboy - Never Be The Same - Channelling Beyonce's Broken Hearted Girl. Musically she's like the love child of Beyonce and Demi Lovato.

35. Lonnie Donegan - My Old Man's a Dustman - Ha! Music's certainly come a long way since Lonnie's time!

36. Jimmy Fontana - Il Mondo - They should ask for a refund. Some bad omens for that marriage.

37. Métisse - Boom Boom Bâ - Oh good, back in the 21st Century. Beyond the music there's not really a lot happening with this.

38. Deuce - Call It Love - Well this is different... strollers, cribs, this - it's a full on fetish fest! :eek: Deuce should've definitely represented us in 1995 though.

39. Altered Images - Happy Birthday - I think an asylum is missing an inmate, it's like they're on strings. Always detested this song, there is only one Happy Birthday song. Same goes for that goseply Happy Birthday to-ya, shoite!

40. John Legend - All of Me
    - Finally a bit of class to procedings. Not ususally a fan of John Legend or ballad dirge, (especially male ballad dirge), but I love this for some weird reason, go figure?

41. Indila - Dernière Danse - The background tune sounds really familiar? France should send her. I love the way the song and the music video builds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the worst review I've ever had
  • Options
    EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As expected, two great reviews :D
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One good, one..bad? And the bad one was for exactly the reason why I considered not sending it. :D

Good job on the reviews guys! :)
  • Options
    nunaneynunaney Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are my first impressions of the all the songs.
    Gin Wigmore - Black Sheep - Interesting song but annoying voice. Still has a decent chance of getting points from me depending on
    how the rest of the playlist is
    Millionaires - Talk Shit - ...no
    5SOS - She Looks So Perfect - Typical boyband song. Blah.
    Amélie Piovoso - Donne-moi - I love her hair! And the song is quite nice. Definitely my favorite so far.
    Annalisa - Sento solo il presente - Once again, very pretty hair (I love gingers :blush:) and nice song. Italian is my favorite language so I'm biased towards anything in Italian.
    Foxes - Talking to Ghosts - I love the atmosphere of this song but it doesn't really go anywhere.
    Idina Menzel - Let it Go - People really need to let this song go. I never want to hear it again.
    NeAngeli - ON cells - I don't think I've heard this song before but it sounds really familiar. Decent enough.
    Anna Calvi & David Byrne - Strange Weather - ooh, this is good! I'll definitely be giving this one several more listens.
    Agnetha Fältskog - Dance Your Pain Away - I don't have much to say about this song. It's just okay.
    Demi Lovato - Neon Lights - Why so much autotune? Not a fan of this song.
    Mike Mago - The Show - Well, the video made me laugh :D
    Gerald Joling - Rio - It's fun, catchy and makes me want to dance.
    Mel C - I Turn to You - I wanted to like this more than I did. It's good but not as good as I thought it would be.
    Anastacia - Stupid Little Things - Another song that is just okay.
    The Mowgli's - San Francisco - I really like this one! And it's nice and short :)
    Lauriana Mae - Like a Drum (Beat it) - Annoying.
    Molly - Just Like Her - I like this one a lot better than COTU. I hope it's on her album.
    Diana Haddad - La Fiesta - I like the style but I didn't feel like listening to it all the way through.
    Barbra Streisand - Woman in Love - I like her voice more than the song.
    Eivør - Rain - A really good one! But I feel like this song shouldn't be in English.
    Katy B - Crying for No Reason - Good enough to listen to all the way through but not very memorable.
    Tuomas Holopainen - A Lifetime of Adventure - Absolutely love it! My new favorite. It goes on for a bit too long though.
    Helene Fischer - Atemlos durch die Nacht - Video not available in my country :( but I found the song somewhere else so it's okay. It's nothing special.
    Grizfolk - Way Back When - This reminds me of another song but I can't think of what it is right now. It's nice.
    Ilse DeLange - Miracle - This song is beautiful and so is Ilse's voice. Love it <3
    Will Varley - Weddings & Wars - Awesome video! I watched it twice. The song is good too.
    Omnia - Alive - I love this style of music but the song was a little disappointing.
    Nice & Vinz - Am I Wrong? - Not sure if this will end up getting points from me but I do like it.
    BABYMETAL - Megitsune - I was just thinking that this playlist needs some metal. That's not sarcasm, btw. I've never heard of Babymetal before but I'll definitely be checking out more of their stuff.
    IIDA - Hands - Meh.
    Jolin Tsai - Fantasy - It didn't seem all that special at first but now it won't get out of my head. And I really like the language.
    Xristina Koletsa - Ekti Esthisi - This one is certainly Eurovisiony. :D Pretty good.
    Jessica Mauboy - Never Be The Same - Much better than the song she sang at Eurovison but I'm not a big fan this either.
    Lonnie Donegan - My Old Man's a Dustman - It's fun but that's all.
    Jimmy Fontana - Il Mondo - It's so Italian which means I love it. I had to find another video so I could properly listen to the song.
    Métisse - Boom Boom Bâ - Another one I really like. I'm going to learn all the lyrics so I can sing along.
    Deuce - Call It Love - I liked this one quite a bit at first but got a little bored by the end.
    Altered Images - Happy Birthday - That dancing :o I will probably be watching this one again but with the sound muted!
    John Legend - All of Me - It's a good song but I've heard it way too many times
    Indila - Dernière Danse - Excellent song and great way to finish the playlist. One of my favorites.

Right now, I have a clear top 13 so I just need to get rid of three but I'm not going to vote anytime soon because I'm sure lots of songs will grow on me and my decision will be even harder.

Unlike some people on this forum, I tend to like "ballad dirge" but I also really love rock and heavy metal. More of that please :D
  • Options
    Yugimuto1Yugimuto1 Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    OMG I LOVE BABYMETAL + INDILA SO MUCH sorry for capitals
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,516
    Forum Member
    I hate it when you want to respond to something said about your song in a review but you can't without giving it away.... gah!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when you want to respond to something said about your song in a review but you can't without giving it away.... gah!

Best to jot them down and tell us after your reveal on Sunday :D

nunaney is in my bad books :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Best to jot them down and tell us after your reveal on Sunday :D

nunaney is in my bad books :D

And mine! ;-):D
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,516
    Forum Member
    I've got my next three entries planned AND I'M NOT EVEN ASHAMED!
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    And mine! ;-):D

Thirdededededed. Saying that, Phil is too :P and I think you may be also. Not too sure :p
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nunaney is in my good books :D
    I've got my next three entries planned AND I'M NOT EVEN ASHAMED!
    Oh I've got all 8 of mine planned! Maybe I should get a life :blush:
  • Options
    nunaneynunaney Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should have played last year too. I didn't because it seemed like a lot of people were just using popular songs and that's so boring to me. I had all of my songs planned out too but I'm rethinking them now.

I'm trying really hard to figure out what your songs are based on your comments. This is so much fun.

Meanwhile, I've got Megitsune on repeat. I'm addicted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nunaney wrote: »
    I should have played last year too. I didn't because it seemed like a lot of people were just using popular songs and that's so boring to me. I had all of my songs planned out too but I'm rethinking them now.

I'm trying really hard to figure out what your songs are based on your comments. This is so much fun.

Meanwhile, I've got Megitsune on repeat. I'm addicted.

Brilliant isn't it? Kids and heavy metal, I should hate it, but I can't! :D I've got to find a way to give that points.

Going through their back catalogue on youtube, came across one that even had a gangster rap breakdown. :D
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a pet peeve of mine as well, I tend to avoid giving high points (or any points at all for that matter) to songs which are too familiar or mainstream. The reason I like this contest is because it helps me discover new songs that I wouldn't have heard anywhere else, I wouldn't participate in it otherwise.

Then again I hate all things mainstream anyway. :p

Yup. I alsi tend not to give high marks to songs everyone knows, but have a few times entered them. Hm. SOmetimes also fun to rediscover old songs from the 80es ex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to UK on WED so should try to finish voting before that. So many problems, Life is hard ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I turn to you hasnt been entered before?
    Maybe just all the other Mel C songs ;)
This discussion has been closed.