10 and rose Farewell scene greatest scene in science fiction

Comments

• adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, don't really get it either. An amazing scene from a show everyone on here is supposed to love is appreciated by the sci fi community and yet some people are complaining about that fact. :confused:

I love Doctor Who, and I'm delighted that a scene from show has topped this poll, over everything else.
    I'm just rather bemused that it's this particular scene.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, don't really get it either. An amazing scene from a show everyone on here is supposed to love is appreciated by the sci fi community and yet some people are complaining about that fact. :confused:
    adams66 wrote: »
    I love Doctor Who, and I'm delighted that a scene from show has topped this poll, over everything else.
    I'm just rather bemused that it's this particular scene.

This is my take on it as well.

I love Doomsday, it's my fave New Series episode, and as I said previously that scene has real impact. I too am pleased Doctor Who has topped a poll, never can complain about that but that doesn't mean have to agree with the subject chosen, even though I love it to bits.

:)
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,097
    Forum Member
    bit hard to say it's all tennant fanboys when it was based on votes of more than 90,000 people. That's not exactly a small vote, certainly too many people voting for a few hardcore 'Tennant fanboys' to be able to purposely sway the vote.

To come top in such a wide ranging poll doesn't require that many votes, a few thousand would probably do it. So it's more than possible a small, dedicated fanbase could sway the vote. Fans often organise themselves online to ensure their favourite does well, heck, I've actually seen such a thing on this very forum previously. I'm not saying that's happened, just that it's possible.

The whole poll is very odd. A scene from Firefly above the iconic Star Wars scene? It was a good scene but better than Star Wars? Really? And the Matt Smith scene from Adventure in Space and Time above the death of Spock? I loved that drama but the Matt Smith bit was the worst bit for me. I suppose it just shows that public polls are fun but possibly not the best measure of excellence and that they often favour newer material that's fresher in the memory of the voter.

But anything above the death of Spock is just wrong in my eyes. 30 years later and I still get misty eyed over that scene :D
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Are we talking about that long, drawn-out, soppy sentimental scene in which Rose is about to go to the parallel universe for ever and ever and never be seen again, and while this is going on (and on and on) people are being exterminated in their thousands every second that the Doctor delays? Is that the one?

No, that's not the one.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely right that this scene wins. It's beautiful, heart breaking, sad, thoughtful and written superbly. I suspect the negatives on this board are coming from the Moffat fans who would prefer a clip from Blink to have won it. At the time in 2006 this scene from Doosmday spoke volumes to the audience about loss and uncertainty and actions have consequences. People relate to this more than a scene from Blink because it's more relevant to people's lives. And that's what good science fiction does. Be parallel, yet relevant enough.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    Absolutely right that this scene wins. It's beautiful, heart breaking, sad, thoughtful and written superbly. I suspect the negatives on this board are coming from the Moffat fans who would prefer a clip from Blink to have won it. At the time in 2006 this scene from Doosmday spoke volumes to the audience about loss and uncertainty and actions have consequences. People relate to this more than a scene from Blink because it's more relevant to people's lives. And that's what good science fiction does. Be parallel, yet relevant enough.
    I agree. very well put :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are scenes in Doctor Who alone that are better than that scene, let alone all of sci-fi.

Personally, I'd go with the chestburster. As much as I love Doctor Who, given the choice between reruns of my favorite stories and a rewatch of "Alien" I would happily go with the Xenomorph every time.

But if we're talking about Doctor Who in general?

This is the best, and most iconic one, that I can think of. http://popculture-y.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/unearth_3880.jpg
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, generalizing much? I've seen a lot of negatives on Facebook and Twitter (just as evidential as an online forum) regarding this and they're from people who love RTD's era. It's not all about Doctor Who, it's about ALL of sci-fi, and frankly i don't think that scene holds any strength when put against more impactful scenes like the Terminator's death scene in Terminator 2, or Spock's death, Vader's "I am your father", Leia and Han's goodbye in the same movie... and others. Heck I'd even put Donna's exit as more impactful.

And speaking as both a Moffat and RTD fan, I see nothing about either Blink or Doomsday that screams BEST SCI-FI MOMENT EVER. (And frankly, I'm pretty sure if it was the best, it wouldn't be causing so much anger amongst the people here and else where).
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, generalizing much? I've seen a lot of negatives on Facebook and Twitter (just as evidential as an online forum) regarding this and they're from people who love RTD's era. It's not all about Doctor Who, it's about ALL of sci-fi, and frankly i don't think that scene holds any strength when put against more impactful scenes like the Terminator's death scene in Terminator 2, or Spock's death, Vader's "I am your father", Leia and Han's goodbye in the same movie... and others. Heck I'd even put Donna's exit as more impactful.

And speaking as both a Moffat and RTD fan, I see nothing about either Blink or Doomsday that screams BEST SCI-FI MOMENT EVER. (And frankly, I'm pretty sure if it was the best, it wouldn't be causing so much anger amongst the people here and else where).

Don't see why as a Doctor Who fan I have to want a Doctor Who moment to come out on top. I'm also a Star Trek, Star Wars Aliens fan etc etc.

I would much rather a truly great moment won rather than some silly scene which would better off in a soap opera.

The four your mention would all be worthy winners. Had I voted it would have to the Vader revelation or the death of a truly iconic Sci-Fi Character Spock.

I could think of several Doctor Who moments, from several era's, that are better than the Doomsday scene.
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    All I'll say is I wouldn't have voted for it myself. I doubt if it would even be in my top 10.
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,261
    Forum Member
    According to a recent poll anyway. It even beat off such things as scene's from alien, star wars, and the avengers. list of the top 5 is about half way down the article.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/movie-news/doctor-whos-farewell-to-rose-voted-best-scifi-scene-ahead-of-aliens-legendary-chestburster-30383512.html

Still one of the most powerful scene's in the show for me, and even having seen it many, many times, and knowing full well they see each other again, it still has the ability to stir emotions as if I was seeing it for the first time. Well deserved I think. Certainly a credit to the team at the time that it can win a poll against scene's from huge blockbusters and the whole of sci fi after 8 years.

It's a great scene, but there are a few others I would have chosen instead.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree it was the greatest soap opera moment in sci-fi but greatest scene? Nah, not even in Doctor Who
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,097
    Forum Member

Not sure I'd use the term anger here, bafflement maybe :)

Though this is a poll that ranked Katniss shooting an apple ahead of the final scene of Blake's 7 so it's kind of hard to take it too seriously :)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think this just underlines how incredibly popular David Tennant and Billie Piper were - and remain - as the 10th Doctor and Rose. I know a lot of fans on this forum don't like seeing the Doctor as a romantic lead, but it did work for the show with the broader audience.

I think that's why David continues to top polls as most popular Doctor and why Billie does the same for most popular companion (outside of this forum, of course).

It may be a difficult thing for many DS forum members to admit, but I think the public fell in love with watching the Doctor and Rose fall in love. I think this scene beautifully encapsulates the inevitable unhappy ending they were always going to have.

It also shows that big budget movie sci-fi doesn't necessarily reign supreme over TV sci-fi shows anymore. But, to be honest, I would say that's a shift in power between TV and movies more generally.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always feels a bit meaningless to me when Doctor Who wins stuff based on public votes. It feels more about the devotion of the fans and affection for the show in general rather than the actual merits of the scene/episode/actor.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    What a great turn up for Doctor Who - and it topped a list compiled from more than 90,000 reader votes!

Makes me happy to know that sci-fi fans can appreciate a bit of good old fashioned romance.

Ah, 10 and Rose . . those were the days . . .

They were indeed the days....great to see some recognition of that era.
    I can't work out from this thread whether the negative response to this news is because people don't think that scene should have been number one, or if no scene from Doctor Who should have been number one.

I think it's because it was not a Moffat/Smith scene that won.
    Personally, I loved the whole sense of romance that RTD brought to the show and I still remember what an amazing companion Billie Piper was, particularly with David Tennant. Rose was voted best companion by the readers of Radio Times, too, so I can see why (outside of this forum) that scene remains so powerful and memorable.

I preferred Martha myself but have to admit the Doctor/Rose dynamic was special.
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Are we talking about that long, drawn-out, soppy sentimental scene in which Rose is about to go to the parallel universe for ever and ever and never be seen again, and while this is going on (and on and on) people are being exterminated in their thousands every second that the Doctor delays? Is that the one?

That is your take on it. (Many) Others obviously do not agree.

Happy Days :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am certainly pleased Who topped the poll, and found the scene very effective at the time. Less so in retrospect. There are any number of moments from C20 and C21 Who I would've picked though, some have been mentioned above. (Eg First appearance of the Daleks, first regeneration scene, and more recently I found the Ten/Donna 'mindwipe' scene much more emotional and effective. Then again, did prefer Ten/Donna personally. Actually, prefered Nine/Rose too myself. And my favourite Billie performance is as The Moment. Terrificly well played.)

Haven't seen much sign of bitter Moffat fan stuff on here, tbh. The whole RTD v Moffat thing I find a bit tiresome. People have their preferences is all (I prefer Matt's era, but have enjoyed the large majority of C21 Who. It's not an either/or situation.)
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no personal favourite amongst RTD or Moffatt. I have found things to love and things to - let's say 'gloss over' during the tenure of both. As has always been the case with DW, since its inception back in the 60s.

I totally agree. It's disingenuous at the very least to suggest that everyone who is critical of this scene is a 'Moffatt' fan, as if that then invalidates these opinions. It doesn't. Even if some people ARE fans of Moffatt rather than RTD, their opinions count just as much as others. And I would say that most of those who think that this scene shouldn't be the top of any poll are Dr Who fans, not 'fans of Moffatt or RTD'. It's a really lazy argument and one that should be treated with the disdain it deserves.
    Rooks wrote: »
    Not sure I'd use the term anger here, bafflement maybe :)

Though this is a poll that ranked Katniss shooting an apple ahead of the final scene of Blake's 7 so it's kind of hard to take it too seriously :)

Well, quite. I do wonder who these people were who voted. Whilst I would have voted for certain scenes in Firefly, I would also have voted for the 'I am your father' scene in SW:ESB and in fact, the very first view of the battlecruiser in the original SW - that was a decade-defining moment and nothing in Scifi was the same from then on.

There are other scenes in other movies and TV series I would vote for; but far too many to quote here. THIS would not be one. Overwraught, soap-opera style scenes have never appealed to me - especially in DW, which is NOT a love story and should never have been turned into one. I admit, I found the whole Rose/Doctor thing sickening. I think that's why I loved Donna so much - they were friends, there was no romance. Just the way I like my DW.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no personal favourite amongst RTD or Moffatt. I have found things to love and things to - let's say 'gloss over' during the tenure of both. As has always been the case with DW, since its inception back in the 60s.

Totally agree.

I totally agree. It's disingenuous at the very least to suggest that everyone who is critical of this scene is a 'Moffatt' fan, as if that then invalidates these opinions. It doesn't. Even if some people ARE fans of Moffatt rather than RTD, their opinions count just as much as others. And I would say that most of those who think that this scene shouldn't be the top of any poll are Dr Who fans, not 'fans of Moffatt or RTD'. It's a really lazy argument and one that should be treated with the disdain it deserves.

If you recheck my post you will see that I did not suggest everyone who was critical of the scene was a Moffat fan; it is my personal opinion that it does account for some of the negative reaction to it though. And all opinions count, I agree. So you saying that MY opinion should be treated with disdain is a bit rich.

Well, quite. I do wonder who these people were who voted. Whilst I would have voted for certain scenes in Firefly, I would also have voted for the 'I am your father' scene in SW:ESB and in fact, the very first view of the battlecruiser in the original SW - that was a decade-defining moment and nothing in Scifi was the same from then on.

There are other scenes in other movies and TV series I would vote for; but far too many to quote here. THIS would not be one. Overwraught, soap-opera style scenes have never appealed to me - especially in DW, which is NOT a love story and should never have been turned into one. I admit, I found the whole Rose/Doctor thing sickening. I think that's why I loved Donna so much - they were friends, there was no romance. Just the way I like my DW.

I prefer DW without the love story plots too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    Ok had composed a long winded post about all this then saw what Cally's Mum had written and realised she had said it so much better, so post deleted and point upwards with agreement for what she said:)
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer DW without the love story plots too.

I'm so glad I'm not alone! :)
    allisonbm2 wrote: »
    Ok had composed a long winded post about all this then saw what Cally's Mum had written and realised she had said it so much better, so post deleted and point upwards with agreement for what she said:)

Thanks Allison! I would have been interested in reading your 'long-winded' post though! Especially because I write long-winded things too! :D
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

You would be wrong. And overgeneralising is quite a lazy thing to do, imo.

I personally think that scene is definitely a good scene. No doubt about it. But off the top of my head, it would have to be the scene where the Doctor deletes all the progress Donna has made as a person, and removes the positive development she made throughout her time travelling the universe, and saving all of reality. A much much much more emotional and powerful scene, all the better for not needing the romance that allowed the Rose scene to be as emotional (I'm not saying I disliked the romance, either, btw - just that I don't feel it needs to be there to create a powerfully emitional scene).

Another one came to me while I was writing that - the scene in Runaway Bride where Donna stops the Doctor from killing the Racnoss. And more Donna scenes pop into my head...

Yeah, for me the scene that won doesn't deserve it. And not just because it was undone less than two series' later (which none of the Donna scenes were, and the Donna/Racnoss scene was only strengthened when later revisited in Turn Left).
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant scene. One of the all time greats and its power will never be diminished. Both Tennant and Piper act their socks off in particular Piper whose 'I L...I love you' is devastating in capturing heartbreak in all its horrible sobbing glory. What a performance. But best scene in sci-fi history? Behave.

Oh and quite why some people are turning this into another boring excuse to bash Moffat and his fans is beyond me. Change the record.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    You would be wrong. And overgeneralising is quite a lazy thing to do, imo.

I personally think that scene is definitely a good scene. No doubt about it. But off the top of my head, it would have to be the scene where the Doctor deletes all the progress Donna has made as a person, and removes the positive development she made throughout her time travelling the universe, and saving all of reality. A much much much more emotional and powerful scene, all the better for not needing the romance that allowed the Rose scene to be as emotional (I'm not saying I disliked the romance, either, btw - just that I don't feel it needs to be there to create a powerfully emitional scene).

Another one came to me while I was writing that - the scene in Runaway Bride where Donna stops the Doctor from killing the Racnoss. And more Donna scenes pop into my head...

Yeah, for me the scene that won doesn't deserve it. And not just because it was undone less than two series' later (which none of the Donna scenes were, and the Donna/Racnoss scene was only strengthened when later revisited in Turn Left).

Well there was the whole 'you can never tell her, or her brain will burn and she will die' then come the end of time she does start to remember but suddenly there's a handy little defence mechanism. That kind of watered it down for me.

I will say though if there are any scenes that have as much impact on me as the rose ten farewell then one is indeed the donna memory wipe scene, that and the rose scene are still the two most beautifully done scenes in the show. The other being the whole doctor rant in the end of time when he realises he has to sacrifice himself for wilf. That one was amazing because it was just raw emotion of a different kind.

Still feel that the rose farewell one is my favourite though.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Well there was the whole 'you can never tell her, or her brain will burn and she will die' then come the end of time she does start to remember but suddenly there's a handy little defence mechanism. That kind of watered it down for me.

I will say though if there are any scenes that have as much impact on me as the rose ten farewell then one is indeed the donna memory wipe scene, that and the rose scene are still the two most beautifully done scenes in the show. The other being the whole doctor rant in the end of time when he realises he has to sacrifice himself for wilf. That one was amazing because it was just raw emotion of a different kind.

Still feel that the rose farewell one is my favourite though.

Well, she wasn't told... ;-):p But seriously - she remembered fragments, and then her defense kicked in, which stopped her from remembering. So it changed nothing of the actual outcome - just a safety mechanism we hadn't been told before..

I didn't rate the Wilf/self-sacrifice scene. It was overblown for my tastes. I found Tennant did that sometimes. Like Smith over-hammed the alien-ness (added for balance).