Options

International Cricket 2014

Comments

• Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    when will these two finally win a test match.
    If England's record of nine Test without a win is bleak, India have now gone 15 away Tests since they last tasted victory. Surely something will give at some point? No-one wants a five-Test series drawn 0-0...
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Another miss from Prior although that a tough one. jimmy nearly caught the deflection
    Keepers should be judged on what they miss rather than what they catch.
    cantos wrote: »
    Jimmy Anderson Man of the match for his batting.
    I agree with the choice. He saved the game
    I think Nottingham will be over looked for a test match next year, because of this wicket.
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    On cricket writers this morning, they agreed that Old Trafford will be the best wicket this year, yet no Test scheduled for there next year :(

I get the impression that the bidding process ignores the quality of pitches.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kerrigan was the favourite for the spinners role but who will drop out then ?

Assuming Stokes will play at 6 with Kerrigan at 11. Ballance ? Ali ?

Cook.

He is the one not scoring runs.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    There's nothing to stop the Captain being changed but it's always seen as a victory for the opposition so most teams try to steer away from it. From memory, Nasser stood down mid series and most famously in 1981 Botham was removed
    The most captains in a single series for England was 4 !

Quote:

The desperation was most clear in the "summer of four captains" in 1988, during the West Indies tour of England, when the captaincy started with Mike Gatting, who was sacked after the first Test as a result of a dalliance with a barmaid. He was initially replaced by John Emburey, who lasted just two Tests before being sacked after two consecutive defeats. Chris Cowdrey was appointed amidst accusations of nepotism on the part of chief of selectors Peter May, but sustained an injury in his only Test as captain. Finally, Graham Gooch became England's fourth captain of the summer. Unsurprisingly, England lost the five-Test series 4–0.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_England_cricket_captains

Re the pitches, the most consensual opinion is that the main reasons seem to be financial. With grounds having to bid large amounts to secure a Test, the Chief Execs are ensuring that they get the full five days play to try and balance the books.

As mentioned a few times, it seems to be making each ground a clone of each other rather than an individual challenge

Thanks dave . Certain people are just not equipped to be a captain and Botham certainly should never have been captain . I was amazed when Cook was made captain . Never impressed me as captain material . Surely Bell would be a far better choice .

Again and again accountants win in the board rooms to the detriment of the game in the long run . As you say, before each ground had its own unique challenge, which is what you want surely to make cricket exciting for the fans . Now if each ground has a slow, flat pitch its going to turn away the fans .

Also how are they going to attract young people to take up bowling when its all set up to be a batsman's paradise, while they have to slog their guts out for little reward .
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Correct. All about £££
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bell isn't captain material either, way to self-centred & lacks situation awareness (as does Cook). There isnt a natural leader in the team at present, just a consensus of senior pro's.

As for who should be dropped for Kerrigan? It has to be Ali, & he may never play another test, that's how poorly Cook has looked after him. How would you feel at being taken off after taking a wicket............twice............?

Cook is the out of form player but you can't drop skip, so it's Ali to go
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keepers should be judged on what they miss rather than what they catch.

I agree with the choice. He saved the game

Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Correct. All about £££

Absolutely. Headingly won't pay for the Aussie or India tests but it shouldn't be "who will pay what". I always liked Trent Bridge but this test was a joke and they have to be punished for it.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Cook.

He is the one not scoring runs.

Not going to happen. He is the captain and unless he gets sacked he will still play. In fact if he does get sacked i would still keep him in the side. He is not just a great batsmen, he is ( as his stats show ) one of the greatest ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. Headingly won't pay for the Aussie or India tests but it shouldn't be "who will pay what". I always liked Trent Bridge but this test was a joke and they have to be punished for it.

The current system is ridiculous, ECB are gonna create a new system to allocate the games during the 2018/19/20/21 seasons.
    Hopefully it would be better, the best idea would be to rotate the Ashes and India games.
    It will be stupid if grounds like Trent Bridge gets both of them, apart from the london grounds Trent bridge were the luckiest ones from the previous system, To get 2 Ashes test and an India test back to back is incredible. No wonder they been producing flat pitches in the last two years, must have cost a fortune to get these games.

If counties can't even afford Australia and India ODI and T20 games.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/633884.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps with Collier going we will get a change in attitude, but until we see the back of the Giles Clarke regime I fear ££££s will be the be all/end. The ECB needs a rethink.

How do I apply for Collier's job?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Perhaps with Collier going we will get a change in attitude, but until we see the back of the Giles Clarke regime I fear ££££s will be the be all/end. The ECB needs a rethink.

There are not many mines operating these days. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good omen for India is that every time they won/draw the first test in england they went on to win the series.
    1971, 1986, 2007 were all won by India.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »

I was listening to the lunchtime journalists' chat on TMS yesterday and a couple of them were of the opinion that Clarke will be gone within the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mahela Jayawardene to quit Tests in August after the series against Pakistan:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/28292068
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,048
    Forum Member
    Just wonder if people think Ali will be dropped for Simon Kerrigan and will Ashwin come in for India?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else agree with the media and england cricketers play to much
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fear Ali will be dropped to make way for either an extra seamer at Lords or a spinner & this seems sensible/logical. But I also fear Ali may never play again - Cook doesnt appear to trust him at all.

England may miss a huge talent.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worry about the fitness of Jimmy and Broad. They looked quite tired at Trent Bridge. Bowling on these last 3 tracks must surely have taken something out of them
    Jimmy bowled 59 and Stuart 54 overs added on to what they bowled at Headingley can only take it's toll
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Just wonder if people think Ali will be dropped for Simon Kerrigan and will Ashwin come in for India?

if it was anywhere but lords I would probably agree

I can see them doing something weird like bringing woakes in for ali and just relying on root as a spin option , its not like we lose much from a spin bowling perspective and cook quite obviously doesn't trust ali to bowl
    davethecue wrote: »
    I worry about the fitness of Jimmy and Broad. They looked quite tired at Trent Bridge. Bowling on these last 3 tracks must surely have taken something out of them
    Jimmy bowled 59 and Stuart 54 overs added on to what they bowled at Headingley can only take it's toll

without them we become fairly ineffective however , yeah we have decent replacements but none that can create the sort of consistent pressure on batsmen that these two can , definitely cant see us play a test without at least one of them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »

Ashwin playing is 50/50 don't think he will replace Jadeja, he would most likely replace Binny.

If Lords pitch is quicker and if long term weather forecast suggest cloudy and overcast condition and some grass in the wicket then Binny will keep his place and probably get promoted to 7.
    If the pitch is Dry and hot weather is expected then Ashwin would replace Binny.
    Dhoni doesn't see Ashwin has being India number 1 spinner in overseas conditions, in the press conference he said Jadeja provides far greater control and has foot marks to play with in the last 2 days.
    The Indian Pundits had a heated discussion during the analysis show on Star Sports after day 5, some wanted Ashwin to play and some wanted Jadeja to play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone else agree with the media and england cricketers play to much

In the old days They would finish a County game on a Tuesday, have the Friday off then
    start the test match on the Thursday. Having finished the test match on the Tuesday ( Sunday rest day) they would start the County game on a Wednesday.

There were two three day County games every week.

I don't think that batters play enough, especially when they have a run of poor scores in tests.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the old days They would finish a County game on a Tuesday, have the Friday off then
    start the test match on the Thursday. Having finished the test match on the Tuesday ( Sunday rest day) they would start the County game on a Wednesday.

There were two three day County games every week.

I don't think that batters play enough, especially when they have a run of poor scores in tests.

I agree that they don't really play more cricket

the main difference is they very rarely get a complete 2-3 month break like players used to get to allow little niggles and aches & pains to go away and are more likely to aggravate something

and that scheduling looks worse for the next few years and with the changes to the FTP and boards basically being given complete freedom to arrange bilateral series I think it will only get worse
  • Options
    Forum Member

yeah I have sympathy with the bowlers not the batsman.
    don't really see the logic of the batsman getting rest from the ODI in Late August and September but missing all counties games during this period, I don't expect them to play all the games but having some batting in the middle is better then having none.

I said last year that it wouldn't surprise me if bell lost is form during the winter because of the long break and he did.
    Batsman have really struggled during the winter especially in the first test and innings.

England schedule is usually very busy followed by very quiet periods. they regularly get 2-3-4 months holiday during Autumn and Warm up games are not exactly great practice anymore opposition are usually a joke, Eng can't complain either considering counties play 2nd or 3rd teams. Dhoni said he took 18 players because the replacement bowlers are match ready and India has more bowlers it can use in the nets before the games.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Good omen for India is that every time they won/draw the first test in england they went on to win the series.
    1971, 1986, 2007 were all won by India.

The difference this time is a 5 match series, unlike the others where it was just 3 matches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    looking at the forecast for the 2nd test , thursday and Friday are meant to be the two hottest days of the year so far , the England bowlers will be willing cook to win the toss I think
This discussion has been closed.