Cancelled subscription now they want £10/month!

Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
Forum Member
Hi,
I gave notice to Sky last month I was cancelling and have paid until early August so have given >1 month notice as required for the Gen Ent & Music channels.
Now they claim I am obliged to pay £10/month until November because I've had Sky+ since last November and my 'contract' is for a year. This is a surprise to me, I did not realise they are this greedy.
My box was bought 2nd hand and I installed it with my existing card from my non-HD box. At no time have Sky ever told me I must pay this money, even when I phoned to pair card with box.
Anyone else had this? Its only ~£30 total and I'll cancel the DD so they cant take any more. I understand I wont be able to playback recordings. Any advice appreciated. I expect we'll resubscribe in the Autumn so will they hassle us in the meantime and deter us from subscribing again do you think?
Cheers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that your tied to a HD contract if you bought the box from elsewhere and its just the standard 31 day notice to end it although I'm not 100% sure..

You could send an email to crsupport@bskyb.com and/or jeremydarroch@bskyb.com as you should get a response from one of them.
    Remember to put your account number and contact details in the email.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    Kipper2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I gave notice to Sky last month I was cancelling and have paid until early August so have given >1 month notice as required for the Gen Ent & Music channels.
    Now they claim I am obliged to pay £10/month until November because I've had Sky+ since last November and my 'contract' is for a year. This is a surprise to me, I did not realise they are this greedy.
    My box was bought 2nd hand and I installed it with my existing card from my non-HD box. At no time have Sky ever told me I must pay this money, even when I phoned to pair card with box.
    Anyone else had this? Its only ~£30 total and I'll cancel the DD so they cant take any more. I understand I wont be able to playback recordings. Any advice appreciated. I expect we'll resubscribe in the Autumn so will they hassle us in the meantime and deter us from subscribing again do you think?
    Cheers
    Andy380 wrote: »
    I don't think that your tied to a HD contract if you bought the box from elsewhere and its just the standard 31 day notice to end it although I'm not 100% sure..

You could send an email to crsupport@bskyb.com and/or jeremydarroch@bskyb.com as you should get a response from one of them.
    Remember to put your account number and contact details in the email.

That's correct, independently acquired digiboxes are not subject to a 12 month contract when you first sign up either to Sky TV or their HD service.

You just need to email them, point this out and ask them to correct their records and confirm by email that they have withdrawn their improper claim. Don't ignore them though or you could end up getting an adverse entry on your credit reference agency rating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Can you recall if you were offered any kind of promotion when HD was first activated? that might have triggered a minimum term on your account
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like it's the sky+ functions you are being charged for, not the HD pack.

Was your previous box a standard box (i.e not a sky+?)

If so, it sounds like you became comitted to a minimum 12 month term for the sky+ functions last november. The sky+ functions are free to subscribers, but £10 per month if you don't subscribe.

Whether they can enforce this or not must hinge on whether they advised you that you were entering a 12 month contract for the sky+ recording functions.

Ask them to play back the recording of the conversation to prove you were advised you entered into a 12 month contract for sky+
  • jacko 2jacko 2 Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Dirty tricks department again.:(
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jacko 2 wrote: »
    Dirty tricks department again.:(

It depends. As ProDave says if the previous box was not a Sky+ box as soon as you have Sky+ activated you are bound to a 12 month contract for Sky+. The Sky+ functionality has alway been on a separate contract.
  • Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies. Yes the previous box was an ordinary one.

No I was not told there was a 'contract' when the box functions were activated. If I had been I would not have agreed. There was no promotion at that time.

This week I asked them to play back the recording from last November they told me it was too long ago! No apology.

So I've cancelled my direct debit. Thieving so-and-sos. If they hit my credit rating so be it.

Cheers
  • KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Well I think you will find that SKY are correct.

I also bougt a HD Box, for my second set, and when I had my card paired up with it I was advised that I would be tied to a new 12 month contract for the HD Package.

This is standard procedeure and as such I think the same will apply to you. So do not be surprised if SKY chase you for the money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies. Yes the previous box was an ordinary one.

No I was not told there was a 'contract' when the box functions were activated. If I had been I would not have agreed. There was no promotion at that time.

This week I asked them to play back the recording from last November they told me it was too long ago! No apology.

So I've cancelled my direct debit. Thieving so-and-sos. If they hit my credit rating so be it.

Cheers
    Cancelling your DD won't help as they will add £4 per bill admin fee so it will cost you more money,

If you still don't pay, it will be passed to a debt collecting agency to collect and they may also add a fee for themselves for collecting the owed amount. This could be a percentage of the amount owed or a flat fee.

I would advise you to reinstate the DD and pay the £10.25pm (or all in one go by card if possible) and then cancel in early October giving the required 31 day notice.

You could end up paying a lot more than the £30ish it would cost until November.
    Forum Member
    Kodiak wrote: »
    Well I think you will find that SKY are correct.

I also bougt a HD Box, for my second set, and when I had my card paired up with it I was advised that I would be tied to a new 12 month contract for the HD Package.

This is standard procedeure and as such I think the same will apply to you.
    So do not be surprised if SKY chase you for the money.

Well anyone who accepts this kind of 12 month contract from Sky on a non-subsidised (independently acquired) Sky+ or Sky+ HDbox is naive as it is unecessary.

The reason for compulsory 12 month contracts is to allow Sky to recover the cost of their subsidy and to try and impose it otherwise is not only wrong but is commercial madness. If you tell them you refuse to sign up on those terms and they still insist on it, they are turning away good new business for no sensible reason as you've had no subsidy. Therefore, when you press the point - either with that CS rep , a different one, or with their management, they will always agree to a 31 day rolling contract IF no subsidised boxes or subsidised packages are involved.

I have had 3 or 4 separate discussions about this with Sky CS reps over the last few years and on each occasion I was able to confirm what I have just said.

The problem is that their complete terms of service are hard or impossible to find on the website and the bits you can find are aimed at new business using Sky provided (usually subsidised) boxes or special package deals (also subsidised). Some CS reps take the bits they can find as gospel for everything, because they too find it hard to find the bits that refer to unsubsidised boxes and packages (if they even exist).

But persistence pays off, and eventually, you will get someone willing to use common sense, as I have done on 3 or 4 occasions.

To the O/P, as I said a while back, stick to your guns, and don't pay up unless they can pass your challenge to explain what your special deal was that supposedly tied you into a 12 month contract. If there was no special deal or Sky acquired box, and if they can't prove that you were informed of this ludicrous claim, they haven't got a legal leg to stand on.

O/P might also wish to demand a complete copy of ALL their terms and conditions including those for for independently acquired boxes, Sky+ and Sky+ HD subscriptions - something that is sure to give them major problems because I've asked before, and they haven't so far been able to do it and - what they did provide me with was ambiguous.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your advice, particularly d'@ve. It is totally wrong the way a company like them tried to use their size to intimidate me, an individual. Odd that they only backed off when I wrote a letter in response to their 7 day notice threat of a debt collector and credit blacklisting. The same points I made in several email replies were ignored by them or dismissed so I think they rely on most people giving in to their threats.

Every email they sent I replied restated my case, I never lied (unlike them) and I was polite. It was a little scary but I'm glad I didnt give in, it was only £20 in the end they were demanding (I had already given a full months notice) so someone there decided not to continue adding £10-25 per month. But I would have refused to pay them even 20p.
    I resisted the temptation to observe that a company chaired by the discredited James Murdoch couldn't find a telephone recording!
    They've told me if I resubscribe the Sky Plus will be on a months notice - I told them this is how it should be anyway for unsubsidised boxes. If they'd accepted this 3 months ago I wouldnt have been so annoyed that I bought a combined Freesat/Freeview Recorder (Technomate 8000 ) so the result is I wont using Sky Plus for a while now if ever.
    Thanks again for your advice and if anyone else is in similar position - be polite, always reply, stick to the facts and dont be bullied.
    Cheers:)
    Forum Member
    Yesss!!! :D

Glad to hear that you won in the end, well done for sticking to your guns, and for not ignoring their ludicrous emails.

It must have been tempting to send them a bill for all your wasted time and trouble! ;)
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I resisted the temptation to observe that a company chaired by the discredited James Murdoch couldn't find a telephone recording!

Oh they will have found it with no problems, all the calls are recorded and their system files them with direct links from your account. However, Sky can only ever "find" a recording when it proves a point in their favour. If, as in your case, it puts them on shaky ground (ie: you were not advised of the new minimum 12 month contract), the recording will not be made available and declared lost.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member
    Masteriser wrote: »
    Oh they will have found it with no problems, all the calls are recorded and their system files them with direct links from your account. However, Sky can only ever "find" a recording when it proves a point in their favour. If, as in your case, it puts them on shaky ground (ie: you were not advised of the new minimum 12 month contract), the recording will not be made available and declared lost.

I agree - ALL calls are recorded - but gthe anouncement at Sky says that they 'may' be recorded, this allows them to claim it wasn't recorded if it doesn't support their claim.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your advice, particularly d'@ve. It is totally wrong the way a company like them tried to use their size to intimidate me, an individual. Odd that they only backed off when I wrote a letter in response to their 7 day notice threat of a debt collector and credit blacklisting. The same points I made in several email replies were ignored by them or dismissed so I think they rely on most people giving in to their threats.

Every email they sent I replied restated my case, I never lied (unlike them) and I was polite. It was a little scary but I'm glad I didnt give in, it was only £20 in the end they were demanding (I had already given a full months notice) so someone there decided not to continue adding £10-25 per month. But I would have refused to pay them even 20p.
    They've told me if I resubscribe the Sky Plus will be on a months notice - I told them this is how it should be anyway for unsubsidised boxes. If they'd accepted this 3 months ago I wouldnt have been so annoyed that I bought a combined Freesat/Freeview Recorder (Technomate 8000 ) so the result is I wont using Sky Plus for a while now if ever.
    Thanks again for your advice and if anyone else is in similar position - be polite, always reply, stick to the facts and dont be bullied.
    Cheers:)

:D

Well done.
    Forum Member
    (ie: you were not advised of the new minimum 12 month contract), the recording will not be made available and declared lost.

There was and is no minimum 12 month contract required in the circumstances described by the O/P. This is a fallacy perpetuated by Sky's practice of ignoring all references to independently acquired boxes in their T&Cs and on their website.

Anyone in that situation who is asked to agree to a 12 month contract need do no more than politely decline, and they will still be allowed to sign up (either by that CS rep, his or her superior, or by someone else in a later call).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the fact that Sky think that by "losing" the recording, they win. No, Sky: If you can't prove the customer agreed to a year, and they insist they didn't, the customer wins, not you!

Nice work sticking to your guns. Most people, me included, would have just paid. We need people being a PITA to keep them honest!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member

It's a pity The News Of The World shut down, I'm sure they would have had a copy:D

Well done Kipper2.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing you can do is, play them their own game so to speak, after they say 'no recording', come back with, that's OK, I called you from work, it will be on our voice data system, I will get that downloaded, this will make them have further thoughts.
    I did that with VF over an item of billing (in fact i did call from work and it was recorded) VF said there was no record of the conversation, yet hours after I told them it was recorded this end, I got an email saying the items on the bill would be removed !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good tip from Swills - I'd also recommend recording all your own conversations anyway, even at home: There are gadgets to do this. Why should the protection of recording only work one way?

Also, consider making a request for all information a company holds on you under the data protection act. Do this quietly through the proper procedure (ie. Don't tell the CS rep that you're going to do it), and you may find that the "missing" recording turns up. It's a separate department, after all.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree - ALL calls are recorded - but gthe anouncement at Sky says that they 'may' be recorded, this allows them to claim it wasn't recorded if it doesn't support their claim.
    Best thing to do, in this sort of situation, if you were starting from scratch would be to record the call to sky your selfs, but dont tell them, but make sure you log details

get the sky rep name, when you phone

So at a later date, if sky claim to have lost the recording, point out to them...dont worry, I have a back up of that recording :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Some problem for me .Was offered 6 months free HD pack and was told I could cancel after 6 months with no charge and I cancelled after 6 months. I have now been invoiced for £46.69 for Early Termination. My HD box is over 2 years old and was not supplied by Sky. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    Some problem for me .Was offered 6 months free HD pack and was told I could cancel after 6 months with no charge and I cancelled after 6 months. I have now been invoiced for £46.69 for Early Termination. My HD box is over 2 years old and was not supplied by Sky. :mad:
    Send an email to crsupport@bskyb.com and/or jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com and ask them to sort it out. All phone calls are recorded (although if it shows them to be at fault, then they probably won't be able to find it).

Remember to put your account number and contact details in the email as you will likely get a call back within 48 hours (although not guaranteed).
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys, Just a followup: Sky still trying to entice me back with various 50% off and 75% off offers. Even had an offer of 4 months free over the phone but they wouldnt put it in writing so I steered well clear of the crooks on that one.
    I've been using a Humax Freesat PVR that is superb and does everything and more a PVR should do better than Sky+ (and Sky + is a very good PVR). I hope no one followed me and bought a Technomate 8000 - absolute rubbish as a satellite PVR.
    Cheers
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Guys, Just a followup: Sky still trying to entice me back with various 50% off and 75% off offers. Even had an offer of 4 months free over the phone but they wouldnt put it in writing so I steered well clear of the crooks on that one.
    I've been using a Humax Freesat PVR that is superb and does everything and more a PVR should do better than Sky+ (and Sky + is a very good PVR). I hope no one followed me and bought a Technomate 8000 - absolute rubbish as a satellite PVR.
    Cheers

Good to hear, my Sky TV turns off on 28th March and I've been looking at the Humax 1000s Freesat+ PVR 1Tb to replace my sky box - its nearly £300 but with interest free credit it'll cost me £25pm so I'll still be saving £9.50pm for a year, then no monthly bills after that.