Options

Really bizarre lines in Friday's Coronation Street

floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
Forum Member
Carla is talking to Maria about her rape and then Maria says something about the female police cop and Carla says something like "this isn't Juliet Bravo" and Maria says "what's that?" and Carla says "I'm not going to sing the theme tune."

For anyone unaware of Juliet Bravo:
Juliet Bravo is a British television series, which ran on BBC1 between 1980 and 1985. The theme of the series concerned a female police inspector who took over control of a police station in the fictional town of Hartley in Lancashire.

The comments about the show seemed odd in the context of the scene. Bit surreal and a tad inappropriate.

"Hey, it's a serious scene about rape but let's add a reference to an old 1980s tv cop show!"

:D:confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I thought it was funny :D It's very like Carla to make jokes even under these circumstances.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the line where she said to Maria "I'm not in the mood for singing 80s TV Theme Tunes" was a real clunker. I reckon a case of the writer thinking he is funny and putting that before what the actual character would say. This really stuck out for me. Awful.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think it was that bad actually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Yeah, the line where she said to Maria "I'm not in the mood for singing 80s TV Theme Tunes" was a real clunker. I reckon a case of the writer thinking he is funny and putting that before what the actual character would say. This really stuck out for me. Awful.
    On the contray, I think it is exactly the kind of thing Carla would have said. Carla has a very dry and sarcastic sense of humour and has been known from the start to use it to help her through even the toughest of times.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    whu13 wrote: »
    On the contray, I think it is exactly the kind of thing Carla would have said. Carla has a very dry and sarcastic sense of humour and has been known from the start to use it to help her through even the toughest of times.

I agree with this; it's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Carla has always had lines like these, no matter what the dramatic circumstances
  • Options
    7 Network7 Network Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it her that asked "is there a bar in here", in a hospital scene once - think it was when Liam had been murdered?:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7 Network wrote: »
    Was it her that asked "is there a bar in here", in a hospital scene once - think it was when Liam had been murdered?:D

hah,i remember that. it was when paul died (well just before when he was being treated in hospital) and she had been drinking the whole afternoon so turned up to the hospital smashed off her face. classic corrie!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before she visited Paul in hospital

'If he's not in enough pain already we can pull his tubes out'

:D
  • Options
    ChickletteChicklette Posts: 5,500
    Forum Member
    Suprised that 'ip dip dip my blue ship' and 'sailing on the water, like a cup and saucer'* haven't been mentioned yet! :D If I remember rightly she used those in a conversation with Leanne when Peter was in hospital. Can't remember the exact context, but like others have said, she generally has a very dry and sarcastic sense of humour.

Last night's line about Juliet Bravo definitely just seemed like a 'Carla-ism' to me, it didn't stand out as being strange!

* For anyone that can't remember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJo8YDla64M - it was in reference to Leanne 'choosing' Peter over Nick!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it suited Carla's sense of humour quite well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Double post
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I found Carla saying that very in keeping with her character, she's always been dry and used sarcasm as a support tool.