Options

What could have made that big noise last night outside my bedroom door?

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't believe in ghosts, so I wasn't scared.

But during the early hours, around 3am, I was awake in bed watching some TV. The volume was down low but I heard a loud thud on my bedroom door.

It wouldn't matter so much but there was only me in the house at the time.:eek:

As I said I wasn't scared. I got up, opened the door. It was very dark, and then I feared a burglar. So I put the lights on, searched the house and no burglar.

So what was it?

Someone suggested it could have been wood worm in the floorboards, but I think they'd have to be the size of a big dog to make that noise.:eek::D

Any answers please. :D

Comments

• Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe in ghosts, so I wasn't scared.

But during the early hours, around 3am, I was awake in bed watching some TV. The volume was down low but I heard a loud thud on my bedroom door.

It wouldn't matter so much but there was only me in the house at the time.:eek:

As I said I wasn't scared. I got up, opened the door. It was very dark, and then I feared a burglar. So I put the lights on, searched the house and no burglar.

So what was it?

Someone suggested it could have been wood worm in the floorboards, but I think they'd have to be the size of a big dog to make that noise.:eek::D

Any answers please. :D

Must have been a Gusto' wind
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you live in an old terrace house?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must have been a Gusto' wind

Louder and harder than a wind. ;)

It wasn't a fart either.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Do you live in an old terrace house?

Semi detached. But the noise was on the detached end. And it was a thud on the door.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semi detached. But the noise was on the detached end. And it was a thud on the door.

I'm going with wind (draught)!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, it only takes a very small change in air pressure acting on the surface of a door to make it thud or slam, or suddenly open if the latch is very loose.
    Its funny how a lot of people eschew basic physics as a starting point and jump straight to the supernatural.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed if my interior doors aren't closed to properly they'll make a noise. Also if you have a lot of wood in the house - floorboards, the doors etc - as the wood expands or contracts to do with temperature and air pressure it can sometimes make a cracking sound. Otherwise if you have an attic or loft something may have fallen up there or even something falling down the roof.

FYI - I am good at thinking of logical explanations - have had plenty of practice because I live in a haunted house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    I've noticed if my interior doors aren't closed to properly they'll make a noise. Also if you have a lot of wood in the house - floorboards, the doors etc - as the wood expands or contracts to do with temperature and air pressure it can sometimes make a cracking sound. Otherwise if you have an attic or loft something may have fallen up there or even something falling down the roof.

FYI - I am good at thinking of logical explanations - have had plenty of practice because I live in a haunted house.

We had a group of lads staying at the Hotel this week. Two of them were really freaked out, one of them had put a pile of clothes on the chest of drawers beside his bed just before they went to sleep. The next morning the clothes had been moved to the chair at the opposite side of the room and the other lad's can of deoderant had totally disappeared. They were in their 50's and no-one else had a key to get into their room. Quite a few guests have mentioned things banging on that particular room's door during the night.
  • Options
    Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year I was asleep in bed and was woken by an almighty crash downstairs. I should really have investigated but I was half asleep. The next morning I discovered it was my husband sleep walking. He had gone into the dining room knocked over a chair and then fallen on it cracking a few ribs. It made a horrible dent in the chair.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    There was an almighty bang last night where I was and thought my son had pulled his curtain pole off the wall or something, he swore it wasn't him and blamed the cat of course I didn't believe him.

Five minutes later I was in my room and there was an almighty bash into the door, lo and behold it was the cat trying to catch a daddy long legs, she succeeded in her mission and sat their proudly eating it.

Do you have a cat?:D
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axe murderer. Playing with your head before he gets down to business. He'll be back. He's probably hiding in the loft waiting for you to go to bed.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be the squatters living in your loft.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likely to be normal sounds of the house contracting and expanding - pipework, woodwork, floorboards - they can all make noises as they get warm, cold or damp.

Forget it - not worth worrying about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likely to be normal sounds of the house contracting and expanding - pipework, woodwork, floorboards - they can all make noises as they get warm, cold or damp.

Forget it - not worth worrying about.

So if it happens again tonight and I open the door to a young child dressed in 1880s clothes, and she holding a broken doll, I'll still have nothing to worry about.:eek::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5OhNplEd4
    TWS wrote: »
    ...Do you have a cat?:D

Nope. No pets. :)

Thanks for your replies. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    it was a ghost..don't be scared they do no harm :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    it was a ghost..don't be scared they do no harm :)

Seriously, a ghost - if they existed - wouldn't scare me.

It's like seeing a UFO. I'd be fascinated.:)
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A big boy did it and ran away :D
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have central heating?

It might have just switched on an it gets cooler, and a pipe might have expanded a bit.